Thread: Dreadlock dynamo, Western Force hooker Feleti Kaitu’u, daring to dream of a Wallabies

Champion
    vCash

Dreadlock dynamo, Western Force hooker Feleti Kaitu’u, daring to dream of a Wallabies

Here's hoping

Dreadlock dynamo, Western Force hooker Feleti Kaitu’u, daring to dream of a Wallabies debut on home soil
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sun, 29 August 2021 5:29PM

Western Force hooker Feleti Kaitu’u is daring to dream of a Wallabies debut on home soil in Sunday’s Bledisloe Cup clash at Optus Stadium.
    The dreadlock dynamo has been a fixture in Wallabies camps for the past year after a breakout Super Rugby season.
    He was in the Super Rugby AU team of the season, described as a “monster” at the set-piece with attacking prowess, and was heavily tipped to debut in the Test series against France in July.
    But a calf injury ended his chances and it has been a long road back with a couple of setbacks along the way.
    Wallabies coaches initially kept Kaitu’u in camp hoping he would be ready for the first Bledisloe clash at Eden Park.
    But after a setback he returned to Perth to quarantine before training with the Force ahead of Sunday’s game and the rest of the Rugby Championship.
    Having the match pushed back two weeks after the All Blacks refused to travel improved his debut chances.
    “It hasn’t been the easiest road,” the 26-year-old said.
    “After it happened a scan showed it was not as bad as it could have been which was a positive.
    “I didn’t spend too long being down. I knew I had to get it right as soon as possible so that was my focus.
    “I had a setback to my recovery but having the game pushed back has been a positive.
    “It’s a bit of a blessing in disguise.
    “It’s given me more time to get into the groove and get myself back 100 per cent.
    “I’m in really good nick.
    “I’ve had a lot of time to freshen up physically and mentally. I got my head down and backside up.
    “I’m very grateful (coach) Dave Rennie has shown faith in me and allowed me the opportunity to rejoin the squad.
    “It would be a fairytale to run out in front of the Sea of Blue (Force fans) and a WA crowd given the Force were the club that gave me my first break in a professional, full-time gig.
    “I’m not looking too far ahead but it’s everything I’ve dreamed of since I was five-year-old kid.”
    Rennie has been impressed with the Australian under-20 representative.
    “Feleti will really be pushing to get selection,” Rennie said.
    “He’s a good man. He’s been really impressive, great work ethic.
    “He was an original part of our squad, got injured very early unfortunately.
    “It’s been a long road to recovery.
    “It’s obviously been frustrating for him because he had a good Super season.
    “It’s how much volume we can get into him.
    “He had full contact for the first time this week. We’ll gauge where he’s at.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very dissapointed to see two Brumbies Hookers in the team and five other forwards, Fainga’a and Samu picked from outside the squad. Dan McKellar influence. Not right

Another sure fire way to alienate the WA fans even more, given the Bledisloe crowds they have provided Rugby Australia for what will be the second time in three years

11 Brumbies !!!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tazzmania; 03-09-21 at 13:10.
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Wish I didn't bother getting a ticket now

vCash
    Brumbies struggled to win a match in the TT comp but now they are taking on the All Blacks with a few marque players from other Ausssie sides to help them.

$1.13 for the All Backs to win now seems a bit generous.

I think its time to wear our Western Force gear to the match, as we are not represented (I know Rodda is there but as he has not yet played for us it is not the same)

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Glad I gave mine back

Feleti misses out, preferred by apparently every other hooker in Australia when he was clearly the sensation of the season.
    Robbo misses out despite being the objectively best openside in the country
    Timani gets to hold a tackle bag, then sits behind Lukhan, Phillip and Swain, inexplicable
    Rodda only gets a chance because he's not tainted by Force-stink yet and Lukhan isn't there

I seriously can't wait for our forwards to start tearing holes in the rest of the Aussie sides next year. I will continue wearign my Force jersey until selection comes based upon form, not the nepotism of the bloke doing the selection

a full pack of Brumbies with a 5 forward bench and a couple of Tahs, craziness!

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Glad I gave mine back

Feleti misses out, preferred by apparently every other hooker in Australia when he was clearly the sensation of the season.
    Robbo misses out despite being the objectively best openside in the country
    Timani gets to hold a tackle bag, then sits behind Lukhan, Phillip and Swain, inexplicable
    Rodda only gets a chance because he's not tainted by Force-stink yet and Lukhan isn't there

I seriously can't wait for our forwards to start tearing holes in the rest of the Aussie sides next year. I will continue wearign my Force jersey until selection comes based upon form, not the nepotism of the bloke doing the selection

a full pack of Brumbies with a 5 forward bench and a couple of Tahs, craziness!
    Before I start - I'm not looking at starting an argument, or a feud. I'm not disagreeing with you because it's you. BUT..........

Mate - how many Wallabies training sessions have you been to this year here in Perth?

I am wondering if you have had the opportunity to go to practice sessions in NZ or Queensland prior to that?

Its a pretty safe bet that you haven't been to any Wallabies Training Sessions.

So you are critical of team selection based on who you like and don't like and what shade of Blue a player wears (or not wears). IMHO your selection criteria is almost as dumb as the nepotistic/Brumbi-esque selection criteria you are accusing the Wallabies Coaching staff of.

But what would I know. I live in Sydney.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Before I start. ....
    As you already know X, I have similar thoughts to you on team selections, mostly anyway. But still; I wish I was as sure of next week's lotto numbers as I was that GIGS would get a rise from you with that rant.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    As you already know X, I have similar thoughts to you on team selections, mostly anyway. But still; I wish I was as sure of next week's lotto numbers as I was that GIGS would get a rise from you with that rant.
    surely mates can disagree??

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    surely mates can disagree??
    Actively mate.Still not sure how you equate my nomination of three players who proved their worth against the very players who have been selected above them in two noted problem areas that have plagued the wallabies all year is a short colour selection, but I guess that's a you problem.If I was to repeat the selection policy of the wallabies, I would select Kane koteka at 7 because he's a good bloke, went to a way rugby factory school and has been faithful to the team.Didn't do that did I?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Yes; you could have put the money towards and AFL ticket. They start at a measly $180 for a nose-bleeder, which prolly doesn't matter for such a simple game - 2 rules to learn "INNABACK!" & "BALL!". Or so it seems.

It will be interesting to se the results. Personally the AFL GF experience means the MCG - filled. Even if I were an AFL fanatic (), I'm not sure I'd pay that kind of freight at The Craypot when neither WA team is featuring.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Possibly, but I think the big selling point the AFL GF has is it is probably the one big chance for people to ever go to one, full stop. Even at the MCG there are damn few tickets ever made publically available, and then usually only really to supporters of the teams involved. But this year all those members are likely to be locked out, so for the general public of WA, SA, NT and Q'ld this is probably the one time they might have a chance to see it live.

And it is the sport the ground is designed for. Whereas with rugby, and regardless of what you think of the stadium in general, spectators were significantly closer to the action at Subi and I seem to recall a fair bit of negative comment regarding that at one time.

Player
    vCash
    I like Lonegeran but he is young and looks a bit undersize at the moment. Where as Feleti looks ready to go and was one of the stand out hookers this season. The only question might be Feleti is coming back from injury so they might be worried about match conditioning. I expect we will see him in the rugby championship later.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That makes sense. He'd have to be "in the mix", as they say. I imagine he got good minutes in the opposed session yesterday.