Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Super Rugby 2022

  1. #1
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    14,275
    vCash
    5496000

    Super Rugby 2022

    Australia, New Zealand agree new Super Rugby format - well aside from the parts they don't agree on anyway, according to"sauces"

    Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby have put their differences aside to agree on a new Super Rugby format.

    Sources with knowledge of the discussions told the Herald the competition will revert to a format similar to the one in use before COVID-19.

    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...23-p58l70.html

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David


  2. #2
    Immortal Contributor shasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    14,275
    vCash
    5496000
    If there is a mod about; please edit the title to correct the title typo to 2022

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David


  3. #3
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    19,436
    vCash
    7350800
    You could also rename that article to NZRU gets everything they want out of the Super Rugby 2022 negotiations and all it took is a refusal to travel to Perth.

    RA wanted Super AU followed by Trans Tasman, much like this year
    NZRU wanted a single contiguous series

    NZRU won

    RA wanted the 3 extra matches to be home derbies
    NZRU wanted to cherry pick the best rounds for them

    Still being discussed, but I'm sure NZRU will threaten RA's bottom line enough to push it through by the end of the year

    RA wanted to guarantee some aussie teams into the finals series
    NZRU wanted to ensure that 5 NZ teams made the finals unless there was an Aussie team clearly better

    OK they both kinda won that one, even if no Aussie team beats any Kiwi or PI team, one Aussie team will still wind up in 8th and theoretically make the finals, but this counts as another NZRU win

    I have difficulty seeing anything that RA won in these negotiations and I would suspect the shady timing lays the blame at the feet of NZRU who held 60,000 x $200 ransom until they got their way.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  4. #4
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    990
    vCash
    5426000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    You could also rename that article to NZRU gets everything they want out of the Super Rugby 2022 negotiations and all it took is a refusal to travel to Perth.

    RA wanted Super AU followed by Trans Tasman, much like this year
    NZRU wanted a single contiguous series

    NZRU won

    RA wanted the 3 extra matches to be home derbies
    NZRU wanted to cherry pick the best rounds for them

    Still being discussed, but I'm sure NZRU will threaten RA's bottom line enough to push it through by the end of the year

    RA wanted to guarantee some aussie teams into the finals series
    NZRU wanted to ensure that 5 NZ teams made the finals unless there was an Aussie team clearly better

    OK they both kinda won that one, even if no Aussie team beats any Kiwi or PI team, one Aussie team will still wind up in 8th and theoretically make the finals, but this counts as another NZRU win

    I have difficulty seeing anything that RA won in these negotiations and I would suspect the shady timing lays the blame at the feet of NZRU who held 60,000 x $200 ransom until they got their way.
    Best way the Aussies can get back in the drivers seat is to start beating them on a regular basis. We need to bite our lips and quit whinging until then.
    I smell a Force finals appearance in 2022.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Legend Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    5,061
    vCash
    5170000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I have difficulty seeing anything that RA won in these negotiations
    Perhaps, but I remain to be convinced by what Australian rugby thinks it wants when they struggle for points of view outside Sydney. It is ultimately down to broadcasters, so assuming this is still just for 2022, the best thing might be to sell the hell out of the derbies and get to the point where the broadcaster and spectators push the position that they should play domestically rather than TT. Then they can step back a bit from NZ with confidence, if that is what gives them the best financial outcome.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    19,436
    vCash
    7350800
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Perhaps, but I remain to be convinced by what Australian rugby thinks it wants when they struggle for points of view outside Sydney.
    I guess you're right there, but I for one enjoyed the Aussie Derbies. Nothing makes me happier than seeing the boys beating the teams that banded together to kick us out in 2017. I'm not so motivated to see them beat Kiwi teams, that's more about assessing where we are as a quality rugby team, but there's no hint of vengeance in it.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  7. #7
    Champion Tazzmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,414
    vCash
    5496000
    With Stan as the local broadcaster option and $30m being the current deal, there is not much wiggle room.

    While Nine's coverage cannot be easily quantified, Stan Sport's financials released yesterday show a subscriber base of only 250,000 which will just about cover the rugby deal at current rates.

    Moving forward the bulk of their growth this year and beyond will likley come from the soccer and not a domestically biased version of super rugby therefore RA need to keep the NZ angle to keep a large portion of those subscribers that like to see the NZ sides for not only their skill factor but the additional challenge it offers Australia sides (Remember some subscribers may be buying it because they want to see their NZ sides playing) Based on last season how often do think the public will like to watch a top five tournament with three sides going through to the finals after the group stage. If one side becomes dominant over time it will destroy it even further.

    Japan rugby has shown no interest to date in playing with us and an example is the disdain the teams their showed the Sunwolves. They are certainly not going to join just so that we can get their money, they dropped the Sunwolves as soon as more cash was asked for.

    NZ is the best in the world with the RSA not far behind, we need to be with the elite if not its time to revert back to an NRC only style compeition.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The Force Onwards and Upwards

  8. #8
    Legend Contributor .X.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,998
    vCash
    294000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Nothing makes me happier than seeing the boys beating the teams that banded together to kick us out in 2017.
    What drugs are you on?

    Or perhaps Dementia has kicked in?

    The Western Force being punted from Super Rugby in 2017 had fuck all to do with the other teams banding together, and all to do with RugbyAustralia and their Spreadsheet.

    Remember?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Exile
    Sydney


    "Ehh, Good Enough" - Mediocrates

  9. #9
    Immortal GIGS20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockingham
    Posts
    19,436
    vCash
    7350800
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    What drugs are you on?Or perhaps Dementia has kicked in?The Western Force being punted from Super Rugby in 2017 had fuck all to do with the other teams banding together, and all to do with RugbyAustralia and their Spreadsheet.Remember?
    Oh yes, that's right I clearly remember the deafening outcry when the suggestion that we reduce teams to four was mooted.Along with their refusal to contract any force players and of course Tim North was as pure as driven snow.Even inaction makes them complicit nate

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

  10. #10
    Champion andrewg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,426
    vCash
    5514000
    Can anybody confirm if any of the Super Rugby teams have signed the Participation Agreement with RA for 2022 and beyond?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Legend Contributor .X.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,998
    vCash
    294000
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    .Even inaction makes them complicit nate
    Only for you GIGS.


    Not sure who nate is - Im still Simon.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Exile
    Sydney


    "Ehh, Good Enough" - Mediocrates

  12. #12
    Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Leederville
    Posts
    16,160
    vCash
    4016000
    Great news

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

    Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

    Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

  13. #13
    Player Chopper1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Yallingup WA
    Posts
    468
    vCash
    5500000
    So who will be joining Aus & NZ to make it 12 franchises?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Immortal jargan83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Earth Capital
    Posts
    20,747
    vCash
    266000
    Fiji Drua and Moana Pasifika

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Legend Contributor .X.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,998
    vCash
    294000

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Exile
    Sydney


    "Ehh, Good Enough" - Mediocrates

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 Force Squad - The List
    By The InnFORCEr in forum Western Force
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 12-10-21, 08:37
  2. Force List 2022 speculation
    By GIGS20 in forum Western Force
    Replies: 286
    Last Post: 13-08-21, 15:51
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-20, 07:45
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-02-17, 09:39
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-13, 21:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •