Thread: Former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says Australian rugby needs domestic overhaul

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says Australian rugby needs domestic overhaul

from here

Former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says the only way to revive the competitiveness of Australian men's rugby union is to reduce the number of its Super Rugby sides.

Hansen also said there needed to be increased competition for spots at the top of club rugby in Australia.

Five sides have contested the domestic Super Rugby AU competition the past two seasons, with the Western Force reinstated last year following its axing in 2017.

The Force also joined the Reds, Waratahs, Brumbies and Rebels in the Super Rugby trans-Tasman tournament earlier this year, which featured New Zealand's five Super Rugby Aotearoa teams.

The Australian sides only managed two victories from 25 matches against their New Zealand opponents, with the Auckland-based Blues winning the tournament.

Hansen said having five professional sides in Australia meant it was too easy for players to make it to the top level.

"If you look at the [Australian] Super [Rugby] teams, there's too many of them," Hansen said on the ABC Sport's Corbin and Ben radio program.

"You only need three teams.

"For them to be able to prepare their players to compete at Test rugby the way they should be allowed to prepare, I think they need to pick Team A, B and C and then select players from all the interstate [teams], [and] throw them into those three teams.

"Make it really competitive to get in, and then from there I think there'll be a lot more competitive [teams] in the Super games and they'll win more games and get confidence."

Hansen said having a National Rugby Championship style competition, which would see teams from each state play against each other, would be ideal in Australia.

"I think they are missing that one step between interstate and International rugby," he said.

"I understand why they have as many Super teams as they do, because they want to encourage rugby to be a higher-profile sport in Australia.

"But I think they need to have another wee look at it and let's have interstate [competition] and let's have something above that."

Pathways need improvement
    The Wallabies suffered a record defeat to the All Blacks at Auckland's Eden Park in the second Bledisloe Cup Test last Saturday, going down 57-22 to extend a 35-year drought at the venue for Australia against New Zealand.

Despite the record scoreline, the Wallabies were in the match at half-time, trailing 21-15, before the All Blacks scored five second-half tries.

According to Hansen, the Wallabies' fade-out was a symptom of the level of domestic rugby being played in Australia.

"The intensity they played with in the first 40 minutes was world-class," he said.

"Then the intensity dropped off as the game went on, and that's because they're not used to playing at that intensity.

"I don't think the pathway allows that to happen, as well as it could do if you change it."

Hansen said the way Australia played rugby union was not an issue when it came to the Wallabies being competitive.

"You have a look at the record between the All Blacks in Australia, Australia is the team over the last decade that has actually caused us more problems than any other team," Hansen said.

"Each country has its own way of playing and own way of getting the game they need.

"Australia, a little bit like us, like to play the game using everybody, which I think is the right way to play it."

Hansen coached New Zealand to a World Cup win in 2015 and eight Bledisloe Cup series victories.

Under his leadership, the All Blacks won all 14 of their internationals in 2013, becoming the first team to achieve the feat in the professional era.

As All Blacks head coach, his record is outstanding, with 93 wins from 107 matches, and just 10 defeats.

Hansen was named World Rugby coach of the year four times, while the All Blacks were named team of the year on five consecutive occasions while he was at the helm.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Considering recent events, I'm starting to think some of his idea has merit. The part where he says we should have a national comp. Forget the 3 teams idea and get on with an NRC.

Anyway Hansen already has a job here in OZ. He should STFU and get on with that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Considering recent events, I'm starting to think some of his idea has merit. The part where he says we should have a national comp. Forget the 3 teams idea and get on with an NRC.

Anyway Hansen already has a job here in OZ. He should STFU and get on with that.
    Whats Hansen doing in Australia?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well done Captain Obvious, the problem isn't the idea, it is all thick planks of wood barricading the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Whats Hansen doing in Australia?
    Helping develop leadership and coaching in Covid Central-Bankstown.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Helping develop leadership and coaching in Covid Central-Bankstown.
    Ahh that makes sense now.He's in NSW doing rugby stuff and the only way he can see rugby working is getting the tahs to be third.If we look at recent events, the force were kicked out, their pathway destroyed and existed in exile for 3 years. They returned and, in short order walloped the tahs and narrowly beat the rebels with limited impact on the player pool.It's not about number of teams, it's about will, finance and planning

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ....walloped the tahs and narrowly beat the rebels with limited impact on the player pool.It's not about number of teams, it's about will, finance and planning

vCash
    Ahh that makes sense now.He's in NSW doing rugby stuff and the only way he can see rugby working is getting the tahs to be third.If we look at recent events, the force were kicked out, their pathway destroyed and existed in exile for 3 years. They returned and, in short order walloped the tahs and narrowly beat the rebels with limited impact on the player pool.It's not about number of teams, it's about will, finance and planning
    Kind of cherry picking the facts there given we had a bajillion overseas players this year.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't hate the idea, but...... I love it how the Kiwi solution is for us to shrink. Nevermind them expanding. They are promoting what is in their best interests. We should be doing the same and if they won't shift from 5, that means going on without them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Kind of cherry picking the facts there given we had a bajillion overseas players this year.
    To be fair, I think that's the point he's making. For a number of reasons we don't have the necessary depth. So, for now it's all about numbers, opportunities and development. The side who took on BOP was a good example.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ahh that makes sense now.He's in NSW doing rugby league stuff
    Fixed. HTH

vCash
    Yes, that's true, but we didn't go outside the salary cap and we didn't accept the confirmed last place that Ra had in mind for us.We also had a bazillon ish players last year and didn't win a game. I think it's still quite evident that attitude is the key, not numbers.That's exactly why the tahs are the way they are, they have the biggest catchment, the most support from head office, unlimited funding with no accountability and no minimum standard to meet. Their attitude sucks, so they suck

C'mon the

vCash
    Yes, that's true, but we didn't go outside the salary cap and we didn't accept the confirmed last place that Ra had in mind for us.We also had a bazillon ish players last year and didn't win a game. I think it's still quite evident that attitude is the key, not numbers.That's exactly why the tahs are the way they are, they have the biggest catchment, the most support from head office, unlimited funding with no accountability and no minimum standard to meet. Their attitude sucks, so they suck

C'mon the