Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blake Ferguson and Ryan McCauley

Champion
    vCash

Blake Ferguson and Ryan McCauley

Why are they still bothering with Ferguson. Interesting move for McCauley but at least he's coming back

Western Force still talking with former State of Origin star Blake Ferguson about jumping ship to Super Rugby
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Wed, 11 August 2021 4:13PM

Western Force have not given up hope of snaring Blake Ferguson as lengthy talks continue with the former State of Origin star.
    The Parramatta winger has been considering a code switch to Super Rugby since he fell out of favour with the Eels, but there are a number of demands that must be met before a decision is made.
    Eels coach Brad Arthur recently said he had not ruled out the prospect of the veteran extending his stay at the club.
    When the Force made an approach to Ferguson, who has played seven times for Australia, chief executive Tony Lewis described it a serious offer.
    “We’re very serious on the approach. We believe that Blake would be an exceptional rugby player. We think he is good enough to play international rugby,” Lewis said.
    Meanwhile Force second-rower Ryan McCauley will spend a season with English premiership heavyweights Exeter Chiefs.
    It is understood McCauley was considering a spell in New Zealand’s National Provincial Competition but has signed a short term contract with Exeter and will return for next year’s Super Rugby campaign.
    McCauley moved from the Waratahs on a two-year deal last season and has made 14 Force appearances, mainly from the bench.
    He is a former Australian Schoolboys and under-20 representative and played in two Junior World Cups.
    The Force still have a couple of spots open, one for an outside back that could be filed by Ferguson, and a flanker.
    They have already recruited Wallabies second-rower Izack Rodda, Fiji winger Manasa Mataele and backs Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Reesjan Pasitoa, Bayley Kuenzle and Reece Tapine and prop Harry Lloyd, all from the Brumbies.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think the Force should be doing more loan arrangements for fringe players. Potentially means more coin, experience, career development, etc. Hopefully makes them more likely to stay on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think the Force should be doing more loan arrangements for fringe players. Potentially means more coin, experience, career development, etc. Hopefully makes them more likely to stay on.
    And if it means we can get hold of players like Jordan Olowafela! I suspect he'll be in the main Leicester side this year, although they have quite a few wingers to choose from: Nemani Nadolo, Kobus van Wyk, Hosea Saumaki and Harry Potter (a bit of a wing wizard, I suspect!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The only problem with Loan Players is that we - the fans - can get attached to the players and they only stay for one season.

I would have been a lot happier with Jordan Olowafela staying on.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    If the Force are still pressing ahead with trying to get Ferguson, then they need their heads read. Got to seriously question Tony Lewis’ judgement with this one.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't know what Ferguson is like on the field. Nor do I like the idea of signing a 30 something league player to the win.... but the off-field role discussed for him is a very, very shrewd move.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I don't understand the hate/dislike of Blake Ferguson?

What am I missing?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    He's a 31 year old league player who has never really played union. So seems like a waste of effort and resources given his age and the amount of time he'll likely need to get up to speed with the more difficult game of rugby union.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Tony Lewis seemed to indicate the complete opposite in the Members Bar before the last match, his comments left me thinking that the story is an east coast beat up and that the Force have no intention of signing Blake.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    If the Force are still pressing ahead with trying to get Ferguson, then they need their heads read. Got to seriously question Tony Lewis’ judgement with this one.
    OK so let me get this straight.
    Tony explained in the Members tent pre-game why a player such as Ferguson was of interest as the WF needed to build capability to score tries. A capability that was sadly lacking in 2020 and 2021. Was it 4 wins out of 13 games?

Tony Lewis made the successful move from rugby player to about 30 years as a sports administrator in both cricket and rugby including being CEO of the Tasman Rugby Union from 2013-2020 during which time "the Tasman Mako emerged as New Zealand’s champion provincial team and become a production line for Super Rugby and international players".

Despite this impressive track record you're prepared to "question Tony's judgement on this one" and reckon "the Force need their heads read".

With all respect - I disagee, but Forums are all about discussion and expressing opinions.

Tony has a track record of building from the bottom-up. He seems to be the CEO that was needed for rugby in the West.
    I reckon that our CEO has the credentials for me to trust his judgement and hope to understand what Tony, Matt Hodgson and the coaches see what a player such as Ferguson can offer for the development of rugby union in WA.

Keep up the excellent work Tony et al.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    OK so let me get this straight.
    Tony explained in the Members tent pre-game why a player such as Ferguson was of interest as the WF needed to build capability to score tries. A capability that was sadly lacking in 2020 and 2021. Was it 4 wins out of 13 games?

Tony Lewis made the successful move from rugby player to about 30 years as a sports administrator in both cricket and rugby including being CEO of the Tasman Rugby Union from 2013-2020 during which time "the Tasman Mako emerged as New Zealand’s champion provincial team and become a production line for Super Rugby and international players".

Despite this impressive track record you're prepared to "question Tony's judgement on this one" and reckon "the Force need their heads read".

With all respect - I disagee, but Forums are all about discussion and expressing opinions.

Tony has a track record of building from the bottom-up. He seems to be the CEO that was needed for rugby in the West.
    I reckon that our CEO has the credentials for me to trust his judgement and hope to understand what Tony, Matt Hodgson and the coaches see what a player such as Ferguson can offer for the development of rugby union in WA.

Keep up the excellent work Tony et al.
    Well said Andrew

Player
    vCash
    And your experience in this field is?
    He's come with a good reputation so I'd back his judgement

vCash
    Ferguson has got liability written all over him. But hey, in Lewis and Hodgo you trust.

Last edited by Alison; 13-08-21 at 21:16.
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Ferguson has got liability written all over him. But hey, in Lewis and Hodgo you trust.
    Looking at this from a purely on-field perspective, Ferguson doesn't look a great prospect. But the 5th paragraph of the Principal Partnership thread may give a clue.

He committed a terrible offense a decade ago that cost him 2 years of his career and almost his freedom. He seems to have his life in order these days so I'd guess he must have shown the people who do the hiring that he has value to add to the organisation.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It's probably safe to assume that Tony Lewis, Matt Hodgson and the WF coaches also have the trust of Andrew Forrest - the bloke who's paying the bills.

Last edited by andrewg; 15-08-21 at 08:18.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast