Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies v All Blacks - Game 2 2021 - Match Thread

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And didn't they change the date on short notice? That alone would normally see a significant amount of wasteage, yet everyone seems to have accommodated it. I seriously doubt that would have happened anywhere else on a couple of weeks heads up!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Looks like all the brave talk @ Moore Park has been put aside in favor of the Panic Button

Rugby Australia to scrap ‘Giteau Law’ limits after latest Bledisloe belting

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...15-p58iw9.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Looks like all the brave talk @ Moore Park has been put aside in favor of the Panic Button

Rugby Australia to scrap ‘Giteau Law’ limits after latest Bledisloe belting

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...15-p58iw9.html
    I think it was only a matter of time. Australia just can't compete with the big bucks overseas anymore and we need our best players playing for the wallabies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    I think it was only a matter of time. Australia just can't compete with the big bucks overseas anymore and we need our best players playing for the wallabies.
    There's still no easy answer to this on-going conundrum. The probable effect on SR is obviously a big concern. Does it make our teams even more uncompetitive with NZ's player production line? No doubt. Will sponsors and media companies be keen for that? Unlikely. Will one of them be happy to pay less for an Oz only competition like the A League? Possibly. But will the reduced salaries drive even more players overseas and make any new Test threshold even harder to achieve? Definitely. Will it lead even more star schools players to the NRL. Probably.

Personally, I'd find it easier to face the truth - that we are no longer a top 4 Rugby nation - than to accept the demise of Super Rugby when we in the West have just got back on the road to improvement.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater just yet, we have selected a very young Wallabies side this year (pretty sure it was similar last year).

Dave Rennie is planning long term

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Just been sent this. How could would that be or am I dreaming it could happen. Come on Mr McGowan make a decision.

Four international Rugby Championship double-headers in Perth? The astonishing plan revealed!
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Mon, 16 August 2021 12:38PM

Rugby bosses are considering an astonishing plan to play four Rugby Championship double-headers in Perth with some of the world’s best players on display in a feast of international rugby.
    The initial scheme was to play a double-header on September 11 featuring Australia and world champions South Africa, and New Zealand and Argentina at Optus Stadium.
    That plan has been expanded with the possibility of four consecutive weekends of double-headers under investigation.
    SANZAAR officials were meeting today while both the Wallabies and All Blacks coaches seem to have conceded they may be in Perth for the long haul.
    A SANZAAR spokesman confirmed the talks.
    “There are further meetings today. The whole situation is complex,” he said.
    “We are dealing with several state governments and different health authorities.
    “SANZAAR will make an announcement on the venues of future TRC matches when ready.”
    One insider said: “Rugby Australia has a plan but it’s up to the WA government to give them the go-ahead.”
    The plan hinges on whether the WA Government allows South Africa and Argentina into the state.
    The initial scheme is for the Springboks and Pumas to complete quarantine periods in NSW before travelling to Perth but the WA government has to allow them to enter the state without completing an additional two weeks’ in isolation.
    WA’s health authority said bringing games to Perth was “still under consideration”.
    Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane is currently scheduled to hold the Wallabies-Springboks clash on September 18 and the Queensland government is pushing for more matches, however teams would not be keen on crossing the country with games a week apart.
    The Bledisloe Cup match at Optus Stadium on August 28 doubles as a Championship game but further planning would take into account the possibility of AFL finals at Optus Stadium.
    HBF is an alternative option but whether facilities like change rooms would be suitable for four sides will come under scrutiny.
    Wallabies coach Dave Rennie hinted he was planning to be based in Perth for the next two months, suggesting the entire Rugby Championship tournament will be held here.
    The All Blacks also appear to be planning for a long stint in WA.
    ‘‘At this stage, yes,’’ All Blacks coach Ian Foster said of his expectation the Rugby Championship will be staged in Perth.
    “What we do know is we’re hopping on a plane and playing at least till after Argentina and probably till after South Africa, and then we don’t know what the quarantine situation is like, so we’ll make that decision over there.”

vCash
    THE AFL finals could be a big spanner in the works in terms of hosting it all at Optus Stadium.

They've got first rights to the ground as AFL clubs or the AFL book all the AFL grounds around the country so that they can be flexible with their finals scheduling. Also there's been plenty of chatter about the AFL hosting their finals in a potential bubble here in Perth.

Obviously there's HBF Park but the article already speculates there may be issues with that.

vCash
    If the entire Rugby Championship was to be played in Perth and South Africa and Argentina were planning to quarantine in NSW for 2 weeks, surely it would make a lot more sense for them to fly into Perth and quarantine here for 2 weeks rather than spending their 2 weeks in Covidopolis and then coming here without a quarantine period?

Coming from NSW is no less risky than coming from Argentina or South Africa in my opinion.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If the entire Rugby Championship was to be played in Perth and South Africa and Argentina were planning to quarantine in NSW for 2 weeks, surely it would make a lot more sense for them to fly into Perth and quarantine here for 2 weeks rather than spending their 2 weeks in Covidopolis and then coming here without a quarantine period?

Coming from NSW is no less risky than coming from Argentina or South Africa in my opinion.
    Likely an issue of flights to Perth, I think the only overseas airlines servicing Perth at the moment at Qatar, Scoot, Singapore Airline and Cathey Pacific. Qatar and Cathey Pacific aren't flying to Perth daily either.

Sydney Airport is still taking daily arrivals from a lot of the Airlines that serviced it pre-pandemic.

vCash
    No idea of when each team is scheduled I to Sydney. It may be hard on the players, but I wonder if it is feasible to have a charter flight fuelled and ready to bring them straight here. The NRL ran nearly all last year on charters within their bubble.

vCash
    From the look of it, Optus won't be required by the Eagles and Dockers for hosting home finals (9th & 10th on the ladder with tougher final games than 7th & 8th).

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Likely an issue of flights to Perth, I think the only overseas airlines servicing Perth at the moment at Qatar, Scoot, Singapore Airline and Cathey Pacific. Qatar and Cathey Pacific aren't flying to Perth daily either.

Sydney Airport is still taking daily arrivals from a lot of the Airlines that serviced it pre-pandemic.
    so you can't enter Sydney airport from South Africa, walk direct to gate for a domestic flight to Perth and quarantine in Perth rather than Sydney?

That seems pretty dumb when we accept international arrivals direct to Perth!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    so you can't enter Sydney airport from South Africa, walk direct to gate for a domestic flight to Perth and quarantine in Perth rather than Sydney?

That seems pretty dumb when we accept international arrivals direct to Perth!
    Look I would have thought so but given Gladys likes to complain about doing a lot of the quarantine for Australia maybe not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    From the look of it, Optus won't be required by the Eagles and Dockers for hosting home finals (9th & 10th on the ladder with tougher final games than 7th & 8th).
    Like I said earlier, there has been a lot of speculation that the AFL is looking at hosting it's entire finals series here. So it's not just West Coast and Freo you've got to look at.

No finals in Sydney, Melbourne looking unlikely, Geelong may host a final at home with a reduced capacity and the same for Port Adelaide.

But the AFL makes a lot of money from the finals series so they may go where the crowds can be maximized and currently the AFL has first rights to the ground for every weekend in September according to the media.

vCash
    I would agree with the money making element jargs, but the longer they wait to make a decision the less likely they'll fill the stadium

C'mon the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast