Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies v All Blacks - Game 2 2021 - Match Thread

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies v All Blacks - Game 2 2021 - Match Thread

Samu Kerevi reportedly set to join Wallabies squad
    Wed, 11/08/2021, 06:52 am
    Nathan Williamson

The 27-year-old, who just competed at the Tokyo Olympics, is set the Wallabies once his two-week hotel quarantine stint is over ahead of the third Bledisloe.

It has been reported by News Corp and SMH the Suntory-based centre will come into the squad as cover with Hunter Paisami set to leave the group for the impending birth of his child.

Kerevi made his return to Australian Rugby via the Sevens program on a short-term deal as he pushed for Olympic selection.

He would eventually earn a spot in the 13-man side, however, they finished in a disappointing seventh.

In the build-up to the Games, he admitted he yearned to return to the Wallabies and thought his time in gold was over.

“After the World Cup, I thought that was it,” he said in June.

“You always have the urge to play high-level Rugby, especially playing for your nation.

“You never forgot that taste of that jersey when you get the honour of wearing it.

“To run out with 14 other mates of yours, I think it’s a really special thing to have in your career.”

Kerevi is the second player to be called on since tweaks were made to ‘Giteau’s Law.’, allowing two players who have played under 60 caps to be selected for the Wallabies.

He will be joined by former Reds teammate and Toulon centre Duncan Paia’aua as current COVID restrictions limit the availability of players.

Fellow former Red Quade Cooper is currently travelling with the squad as a training member, with his 70 caps qualifying him for selection.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/samu-k...-squad-2021810

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bledisloe Cup Game Two: How to Watch, Fixtures, Teams and more
    Thu, 12/08/2021, 06:35 am
    by Nathan Williamson

The All Blacks will be looking to wrap up the Bledisloe Cup for another year when they face the Wallabies at Eden Park.

Ian Foster's side came away with the 33-25 win at their Eden Park cauldron and are hoping to repeat their efforts on August 14.

However, the Wallabies and coach Dave Rennie can take plenty of confidence out of their finish, scoring three late tries as they look to break a 35-year drought in order to send the series to Perth for the final Test

Here is everything you need to know about the second Bledisloe Cup

WHEN DO THE WALLABIES PLAY NEXT IN THE BLEDISLOE CUP?
    The Wallabies will play next in the second Bledisloe Cup match against New Zealand at Eden Park on Saturday August 7.

It will be the final of two games at Eden Park before the contest heads to Perth for the final match on August 28.

HOW TO WATCH BLEDISLOE CUP ON FREE-TO-AIR TV IN AUSTRALIA?
    The Bledisloe Cup series will be shown on free-to-air TV across the Nine Network on 9Gem .

The second Test between the Wallabies and All Blacks will be live on 9Gem on Saturday afternoon from 4:30 pm.

The blockbuster will also be ad-free, live and on demand, with extended coverage on Stan Sport.

WHAT TIME DOES THE WALLABIES V ALL BLACKS BLEDISLOE START?
    The second Bledisloe between the Wallabies and All Blacks will start at 5:05 pm AEST on Saturday.

Coverage will begin on 9Gem from 4:30 pm

Meanwhile, coverage will be ad-free and continue throughout the game on Stan Sport.

HOW TO WATCH BLEDISLOE CUP OVERSEAS
    For a full list of broadcasters, check out the list below:

New Zealand: Sky Sports

South Africa/Africa and adjacent islands: SuperSport

Argentina/South America/North America: ESPN

USA: FloRugby

UK & Ireland (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man): Sky UK

France/Andorra/Monaco/Luxembourg: Canal+

Japan: Wowow

Pacific: Digicel

Italy, Vatican City, San Marino and Canton Ticino, Switzerland: Sky Italia

Spain/Andorra:Telefonica

Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Federated States of Micronesia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Marianas, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Nepal, Northern Marianas, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Tajikistan, Taiwan (Republic of China), Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam: Premier Sports

BLEDISLOE CUP NEW DATES AND FIXTURES
    Rugby Australia has confirmed a host of changes to the Bledisloe Cup schedule, with the Test in Perth shifted a week to August 28 at Optus Stadium.

Originally slated for August 21, the Test will be the third and final match in the Bledisloe series as the second Test moves to New Zealand on Saturday 14 August, with the first two games set to be played at Eden Park.

The new schedule is as follow:

New Zealand 33 def. Wallabies 25, Saturday 7 August at Eden Park, Auckland at 5.05pm AEST

New Zealand v Wallabies, Saturday 14 August at Eden Park, Auckland at 5.05pm AEST

Wallabies v New Zealand, Saturday 28 August at Optus Stadium, Perth at 6.00pm AWST

BLEDISLOE CUP PERTH TICKETS
    Tickets are still available for the third and lone Bledisloe in Australia in Perth on August 28.

With the fixture being pushed back a week, a limited number of refunded tickets have become available for this previously sold-out blockbuster.

Click here to purchase tickets for the third Test
    BLEDISLOE CUP SECOND TEST TEAMS
    WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Allan Alaalatoa, Darcy Swain, Matt Philip, Lachie Swinton, Michael Hooper (c) Rob Valetini, Tate McDermott, Noah Lolesio, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Andrew Kellaway, Tom Banks

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Harry Wilson, Nic White, Len Ikitau, Reece Hodge

NEW ZEALAND (1-15): George Bower, Codie Taylor, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock (c), Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo'unga, Sevu Reece, David Haviki, Will Jordan, Damian McKenzie

Reserves: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Angus Ta'avao, Scott Barrett, Luke Jacobson, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE WALLABIES WON AT EDEN PARK?
    The Wallabies will be looking to break a 35-year hoodoo when they face the All Blacks, last winning at the ground in 1986.

On that day, the Wallabies came out 22-9 winners, led by Andrew Slack and coach Alan Jones.

The ground has become a fortress for the Kiwis, having not lost at the Auckland venue since 1994.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/bledis...s-dates-202185

vCash
    Koroibete, White return to Wallabies side for Bledisloe II
    Thu, 12/08/2021, 09:13 am
    Nathan Williamson

Dave Rennie has made four changes to the Wallabies side for the second Bledisloe Test, headlined by the return of Marika Koroibete and Nic White.

Koroibete slots onto the wing in place of Jordan Petaia after serving his one-match suspension for breaking team protocols.

He is joined on the wing by Andrew Kellaway after an impressive showing in his starting debut.

Rebels duo Matt To'omua and Matt Philip have also earned starts following their impactful performances from the bench during last week's eight-point defeat.

To'omua will partner Hunter Paisami in the centres, with Paisami shifting to outside centre whilst Philip will partner Darcy Swain in their first Test start together in the second row.

Along with this, Waratahs firebrand Lachie Swinton and Brumbies scrumhalf Nic White will make their returns from injury.

Swinton slots into the back row alongside captain Michael Hooper and Rob Valetini, who shifts to number eight.

White is joined on the bench by Brumbies teammate Scott Sio, who are set for their first appearance for the Wallabies in 2021.

“Eden Park is a place that most teams fear but we’re excited to get another crack after last weekend’s disappointment," Rennie said.

“To beat New Zealand, you have to win the collisions and be clinical for 80 minutes and we didn’t do that.

“We’ve got a lot more in us and we’ll show that on Saturday night.”

WALLABIES SQUAD TO FACE ALL BLACKS IN SECOND BLEDISLOE TEST

1. James Slipper (104 Tests)

2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa (13 Tests)

3. Allan Alaalatoa (47 Tests)

4. Darcy Swain (4 Tests)

5. Matt Philip (13 Tests)

6. Lachlan Swinton (2 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (109 Tests)

8. Rob Valetini (8 Tests)

9. Tate McDermott (6 Tests)

10. Noah Lolesio (6 Tests)

11. Marika Koroibete (37 Tests)

12. Matt To’omua (58 Tests)

13. Hunter Paisami (10 Tests)

14. Andrew Kellaway (3 Tests)

15. Tom Banks (15 Tests)

Replacements

16. Jordan Uelese (14 Tests)

17. Scott Sio (68 Tests)

18. Taniela Tupou (29 Tests)

19. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (29 Tests)

20. Harry Wilson (9 Tests)

21. Nic White (37 Tests)

22. Len Ikitau (3 Tests)

23. Reece Hodge (47 Tests)

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...-white-2021812

vCash
    Again dissapointing to note that the Force boys appear to be around just to hold the tackle bags.

On the positive side, for us to by the third best of five Australian teams (based on Super Rugby 2021) without a player in the top Australian 23 (and even higher taking into account the weekly changes) shows we must have punched above our weight. (Yes, I know we had more than a few imports, but still)

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Wallabies $11 bet big, bet early

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    That second half was woeful.

Im gutted.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    That second half was woeful.

Im gutted.
    When they threw exactly the same brain dead intercept pass for the third time within a week I decided to do something more productive. So I went outside to check if our grass had grown much since the sun reappeared. Then I watched a replay of Gladys B's latest presser. I feel much better now.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Seems like a common theme.

After that intercept was thrown I went outside and did some weeding and looked at my dirt pile (concreter laying shed pad on Wednesday)

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Rennie defiant amid Wallabies' Bledis-woe

From AAP

Dave Rennie has pledged to stick with his plan to evolve the Wallabies despite a disastrous night at Eden Park where the All Blacks scaled heights unseen in Bledisloe Cup history.

Sam Whitelock's side won 57-22 on Saturday night, stretching their hold over the trans-Tasman silverware to 19 years.

The All Blacks' score was the highest in the history of the rivalry, dating back to 1903.

Australia completely crumbled in the face of second-half pressure, their fade-out completely eclipsing any first-half positives.

Michael Hooper was frustrated his side wasn't able to cash in on a one-man advantage after the break as Ardie Savea's trip to the sin bin should have allowed for an Australian revival.

Instead, during Savea's stint on the sidelines, Codie Taylor went over, Richie Mo'unga converted and Damian McKenzie booted a monster 59 metre penalty.

"We didn't capitalise on that yellow card at all," Hooper said.

"New Zealand really put us to the sword.

"We need a longer performance in us. We need to stick to our script a bit more and knuckle down."

Neither Hooper or Rennie is challenging that script, despite the loss.

Both agreed they needed to "treasure" possession more, a self-evident fact given the intercept tries given away by Noah Lolesio, for the second straight week, and Matt To'omua.

But Rennie said it was important for Australia to grow an attacking kicking game given their size.

"We want to kick more. It's not a natural part of the DNA of the Wallabies players at the moment," the Wellingtonian said.

"I don't think we're big enough to get into an arm wrestle with sides, so we've got to be able to play a balanced game."

Rennie's predecessor Michael Cheika said defence, rather than attacking blunders, was the key weakness.

"I think coach Rennie will be really disappointed in the defensive side of the game," he told Stan Sport.

"The attacking side of the game looked sharp enough ... but the defensive side of the game is key.

"The score isn't really reflective of the performance they put in.

"They really excelled in disrupting New Zealand early on. They just couldn't keep the defensive pressure on all match."

The series concludes with game three in Perth in a fortnight, and while the Bledisloe is gone, a win will keep alive Australia's Rugby Championship hopes.

With Tate McDermott's lively showing, Hooper's Herculean effort and Andrew Kellaway's two tries, it's not all gloom for the Wallabies.

"We want to have an optimistic mindset," Rennie said.

"But we went in with a plan, we didn't execute that plan and we'll seriously look at what we're doing."

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Seems like a common theme.

After that intercept was thrown I went outside and did some weeding and looked at my dirt pile (concreter laying shed pad on Wednesday)
    ...and then I remembered that Quade Cooper is a guest at training as I watched yet another intercepted pass.

vCash
    I've just watched the game again as I wanted to be as constructive as possible.
    There was no aspect of the game where the Wallabies headed the ABs.
    Even gave away 10 pts with a player advantage.
    Back Row players, apart from Hooper, had no presence on the field
    Our LineOut put no pressure on the ABs with Philip the only serviceable player.
    Scrums gained little from the bench.
    Most of our forwards were missing at the breakdown.
    Too many SR standard players who have yet to step up in Tests.
    Can we just admit that we’re rebuilding after the huge move of players off-shore and stop placing undue pressure on this player group due to our unreal level of expectations.
    Pickerill very liberal with both teams with players not supporting weight/hands on ground.
    Harrison is a crap commentator.
    Little joy to take away from this performance.
    Wallabies continue to let their opposition set new records.
    Please give Tom Robertson and Feleti Kaitu’u a run in Perth

Last edited by andrewg; 16-08-21 at 06:04.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I've just watched the game again as I wanted to be as constructive as possible.
    There was no aspect of the game where the Wallabies headed the ABs.
    Even gave away 10 pts with a player advantage.
    Back Row players, apart from Hooper, had no presence on the field
    Our LineOut put no pressure on the ABs with Philip the only serviceable player.
    Scrums gained little from the bench.
    Most of our forwards were missing at the breakdown.
    Too many SR standard players who have yet to step up in Tests.
    Can we just admit that we’re rebuilding after the huge move of players off-shore and stop placing undue pressure on this player group due to our unreal level of expectations.
    Pickerill very liberal with both teams with players not supporting weight/hands on ground.
    Harrison is a crap commentator.
    Little joy to take away from this performance.
    Wallabies continue to let their opposition set new records.
    Please give Tom Robinson and Feleti Kaitu’u a run in Perth
    Harrison is crap but please please please can they get rid of Sean Maloney. I have to turn the sound off. He is going from bad to worse.

vCash
    At one point the commentators were complaining that the Perth test wasn't sold out. It was sold out, but then the virus flared up over East and many (including X) couldn't come over. As it is, Ticketmaster reckons there are 247 tickets left, so >99.5% of tickets are sold (or at least taken - who knows how many are taken by the unions!) and mainly there are 1 or 2 seats together left. Apart from one large block of ~50 or so seats together the largest group I saw available was about 5.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast