Thread: Wallabies v All Blacks - Game 1 2021 - Match Thread

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies v All Blacks - Game 1 2021 - Match Thread

All Blacks name squad for opening Bledisloe Cup against Australia
    Thu, 05/08/2021, 07:45 am
    by Nathan Williamson

The All Blacks have named their squad for the first Bledisloe Cup match against the Wallabies, with Damian McKenzie winning the race for the vacant fullback position.

McKenzie relegates Beauden Barrett to the bench alongside brothers Scott and Jordie after a starring performance against Fiji in their previous Test.

He is joined in the back three by Seve Reece and Rieko Ioane, who comes in for Crusaders flyer Will Jordan (hamstring).

The starting front row remains unchanged from the last Test, with loosehead prop George Bower and tighthead prop Nepo Laulala retaining their spots as Joe Moody (foot) and Ofa Tuungafasi (knee) continue their rehab.

They are joined in the tight five by captain Sam Whitelock and Brodie Retallick.

Dalton Papalii has been selected at openside as he links up with Akira Ioane and Ardie Savea in the back-row.

Aaron Smith and Richie Mo'unga form a nightmare halves partnership for Wallabies fans, with the backline completed by centres David Havili and Anton Lienert-Brown.

“There is huge excitement in our group at what lies ahead this weekend," coach Ian Foster said.

"There is such a huge history with the Bledisloe Cup, the rivalry between the All Blacks and Australia goes back a long, long way, and it’s always a massive contest.

"The Cup isn’t ours; we have to go out and win it again. We can’t wait for the weekend.”

If they did have any more motivation ahead of the opening Bledisloe, the clash will mark Aaron Smith's 100th game for the All Blacks, becoming the tenth player to do so in their history.

“He’s a special man, he’s achieved so much in the black jersey and has been an iconic player for us over the last decade," Foster added on Smith.

"We know it’ll be a special night for him, his wife Teagan and his family.”

NEW ZEALAND (1-15): George Bower, Codie Taylor, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock (c), Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo'unga, Rieko Ioane, David Havili, Anton Lienert-Brown, Sevu Reece, Damian McKenzie

REPLACEMENTS: Dane Coles, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Angus Ta'avao, Scott Barrett, Luke Jacobson, Brad Weber, Beauden Barrett, Jordie Barrett.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/all-bl...stralia-202184

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    WALLABIES SIDE TO FACE ALL BLACKS
    1. James Slipper (103 Tests)
    2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa (12 Tests)
    3. Allan Alaalatoa (46 Tests)
    4. Darcy Swain (3 Tests)
    5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (28 Tests)
    6. Rob Valetini (7 Tests)
    7. Michael Hooper (c) (108 Tests)
    8. Harry Wilson (8 Tests)
    9. Tate McDermott (5 Tests)
    10. Noah Lolesio (5 Tests)
    11. Andrew Kellaway (2 Tests)
    12. Hunter Paisami (9 Tests)
    13. Len Ikitau (2 Tests)
    14. Jordan Petaia (8 Tests)
    15. Tom Banks (14 Tests)

Replacements
    16. Jordan Uelese (13 Tests)
    17. Angus Bell (6 Tests)
    18. Taniela Tupou (28 Tests)
    19. Matt Philip (12 Tests)
    20. Fraser McReight (1 Test)
    21. Jake Gordon (8 Tests)
    22. Matt To’omua (57 Tests)
    23. Reece Hodge (46 Tests)

Yet again nobody from the Force. Was somewhat hoping that Feleti might get a run off the bench if he's recovered from injury or Robbo would get a well deserved shot, but obviously dreaming.

Would much prefer Philip starting instead of either of the chosen locks and McReight on the bench is interesting, with Swinton surprisingly missing out completely after a very good game 3 against France.
    Realistically, don't see that team troubling the All Blacks too much unless the front 2 rows can get some sort of set piece ascendancy, but you never know....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    No Quade Cooper.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    No Quade Cooper.
    He's sharing that honour with any chance of the Wallabies winning.

Kellaway and Petaia on the wings will just be a feast for the ABs, with one dropping more pill than an 80s rave and the other running in slow motion.

Swain was accused of being too light to play International Lock, but Salakia-Loto is the one who looks lightweight on the park. Phillip has been serviceable, but there hasn't been any standouts in the second row.

I certainly don't get the fascination with Uelese, who hasn't been troubling for anybody this year, Mafi would be a better choice if Feleti is injured.

Gordon and Toomua get to spend another test match learning how to not suck with some bench time. I bet they don't!

In short, most of the team doesn't appear to have been picked on form at all and the ABs will destroy them, Perhaps Rennie is saving the good players for when they get to Perth in the hope of avoiding a clean sweep.

C'mon the

vCash
    It's a little worrying that the 5th most experienced starting player has 14 caps (Banks). Hooper and Slipper are in the 100s, AAA has 46, and LST 28.
    BPA is 6th with 12 caps, and nine starters have less than 10 caps.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    He's sharing that honour with any chance of the Wallabies winning.

Kellaway and Petaia on the wings will just be a feast for the ABs, with one dropping more pill than an 80s rave and the other running in slow motion.

Swain was accused of being too light to play International Lock, but Salakia-Loto is the one who looks lightweight on the park. Phillip has been serviceable, but there hasn't been any standouts in the second row.

I certainly don't get the fascination with Uelese, who hasn't been troubling for anybody this year, Mafi would be a better choice if Feleti is injured.

Gordon and Toomua get to spend another test match learning how to not suck with some bench time. I bet they don't!

In short, most of the team doesn't appear to have been picked on form at all and the ABs will destroy them, Perhaps Rennie is saving the good players for when they get to Perth in the hope of avoiding a clean sweep.
    Dammit, Gigs. Always with the negativity.

Any chance you want to say anything nice?

Let's try this.....

Whilst the Wallabies prepared for this Bledisloe/Rugby Championship Series by playing a Squad that was 65% new players. We won that series 2 Matches to 1. And with a for and against of +3. We proved that after 5 years of Wallabies teams going into each Test Match with the exact same game plan and no alternative. We have a new coach, a new Team, and the Koribete Red Card - an excellent trial by fire.

In the meantime the second-ranked All Blacks managed to trot into second gear to defeat the 13th ranked Samoa by 102 points and had to ramp up to third gear to defeat Fiji (11).

I believe that the All Blacks are the most skillful Rugby team on the planet. From 1 - 23, they can do the things with a football that make my eyes pop and my jaw drop. They should beat us. But, I think we are getting better, and I think that we are getting closer. I am gutted I don't get to come to Perth to watch the 3rd Bledisloe. But I will be watching and cheering loudly from my shed here in Western Sydney.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Dammit, Gigs. Always with the negativity. Any chance you want to say anything nice?
    Honestly mate, this year I wanted to, but the same ridiculous Sydney-media-driven selection bullshit that has destroyed 19 Bledisloe campaigns has robbed me of that opportunity.It doesn't surprise me that you've gug deep into your lucky dip of positivity to try and find some last vestiges of hope upon which to cling for this year, but your assessment of the France series was accurate, we managed to score 3 points more than a third string unit whose leading scorer can't crack a game in their top competition, meanwhile the black standard team had hitouts against (fairly) similar opposition and didn't need to get out of idle to win and post one or two cricket scores.If the team was selected on form, would the captain of the losing-est team have been considered? Would the red card magnet have made it over the flanker who every commentator has said is the most underrated player in Australia, and the list goes on. Not just with force players, but in every position players have been selected based upon substanceless hype rather than actual results.How are there more Brumbies in the squad than Reds? How are there any tahs there? How is toomua still training with the team when timani has been sent home.Its more of the same bullshit and the blame still rests with the organisation who are cheapening the jersey by picking players who don't deserve it.When the wallabies get serious about winning rugby matches, I'll say something positive
    I believe that the All Blacks are the most skillful Rugby team on the planet. From 1 - 23, they can do the things with a football that make my eyes pop and my jaw drop. They should beat us. But, I think we are getting better, and I think that we are getting closer. I am gutted I don't get to come to Perth to watch the 3rd Bledisloe. But I will be watching and cheering loudly from my shed here in Western Sydney.
    On that we agree, the abs will win in a canter at Eden Park and come to Perth to party like the crusaders always do, Perth is the chance of an upset and worth watching wearing force blue.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

Player
    vCash
    That ABs bench …… ouch ….. good luck

vCash
    Lose by 8 after Lolesio can't hit the backside of a barn kicking 2/7 ffs.

Watch them have 50 out on them next week.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    There is no doubt we have the skills to beat the All Blacks!
    How you may ask?
    Shorten the game to 40 mins and don’t tell the AB’s!

Our kicker had a shocker and would that have made a difference if he’d nailed them all? I doubt it the AB’s can step up a gear when needed.
    We are good for 400 meters but they are good at the 400, 800, 1000,
    When all is said and done with the team (low cap number) I was pleasantly surprised with the end result which looked like blowing away at one stage.
    Maybe Rennie is good for more than indigestion!

May the FORCE be with you!