Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Optus Stadium set to host Wallabies in massive double-header of international rugby n

Champion
    vCash
    Better get their All Black asses over here then..

Play or pay? WA Government to lay strong tackle on All Blacks amid Bledisloe Cup withdrawal in Perth
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 21 August 2021 2:25PM

Rugby Australia are trying to save the Bledisloe Cup clash at Optus Stadium, cancelled when the All Blacks controversially pulled out at the last minute.
    But if New Zealand Rugby refuse to send the All Blacks to Perth they are likely to cop a bill from the State Government that is investigating getting back taxpayers’ money used to snare the game.
    Governing body SANZAAR is in talks with RA, NZR and Optus Stadium about re-scheduling the fixture to September 4, after it had already been moved a week to next Saturday at the Kiwis’ request.
    It is understood the government forked out about $5 million for rights to the game and Premier Mark McGowan said contracts would be examined for possible action against the NZ governing body.
    “I think the All Blacks made a unilateral decision to pull out,” McGowan said after NZR announced on Friday that the All Blacks would not be flying to Perth.
    “I was advised that’s their decision, we’ll look at what the contractual arrangements were.“I understand that the State have committed some money towards that, we’ll work out exactly what it was and seek to get our money back.”
    A government spokesperson added: “The decision this week by the All Blacks is disappointing and we hope an agreement can be reached between Rugby Australia and SANZAAR for an alternative date.
    “In the instance the event is not able to be rescheduled, Tourism WA’s agreement includes financial protections.”
    The NZR decision sent simmering trans-Tasman tension to new levels after they made the announcement without informing Rugby Australia.
    Furious RA chief executive Andy Marinos said they were told by media despite ongoing discussions with his NZ counterpart Mark Robinson.
    Robinson defended the decision saying: “We certainly don’t accept this has been a unilateral decision.”
    A “bloody angry” Wallabies coach Dave Rennie, who revealed players discovered the cancellation through social media, blasted the Kiwis for “playing the welfare card” as justification for not travelling.
    He said his players, who have been on the road since June, had already endured hardships of their own.
    He was furious because RA co-operated when NZR asked for help in rescheduling Tests in New Zealand earlier this month and relented to their request to move the Optus Stadium game.
    “It tells you more about them than us I’d say,” Rennie said.
    The Bledisloe clash doubles as a Rugby Championship match and the NZR move has thrown the tournament, that also includes South Africa and Argentina, into chaos.
    It is hoped games can be played in Queensland but that depends on COVID border regulations. South Africa has offered to host them while talks are taking place about taking the tournament to London, Dublin and Cardiff.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Throw the book at them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Throw the book at them
    I'd lay odds that if any rescheduling for the match is considered, the NZRU will demand an exemption in terms that Health WA will not be willing to accept. I'd be surprised to see them cough up a single razoo. This navel gazing arse clownery could derail future Tests in Perth too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree,but will any alternative venue be still subject to the NZRU approval?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can't see how any of the advance fees or similar would fall to the AB account...they'd be looking to get that back from RA. Cancellation costs for the quarantine hub, accommodation, etc, maybe...I think that usually falls to the touring team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Can't see how any of the advance fees or similar would fall to the AB account...they'd be looking to get that back from RA. Cancellation costs for the quarantine hub, accommodation, etc, maybe...I think that usually falls to the touring team.
    My thought exactly, tourism was contract will be with Ra. It would be up to the terms of the rugby championship participation agreement.Depending on how it's written, nzr might lose any revenue from sanzar but I think their play will be ensure that trc doesn't run so there's no revenue to lose.It's all down to contract wording, Ra might be the ones who will be paying tourism wa back.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If we cant have the All Blacks.

I would love to see the Force v Wallabies at HBF. Live on STAN

Call me crazy.....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    If we cant have the All Blacks.

I would love to see the Force v Wallabies at HBF. Live on STAN

Call me crazy.....
    You're crazy

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I seem to remember the same sentiments when the force was cut that went nowhere! Surely in this day and the world circumstances there would have been contingencies for cancellations!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I seem to remember the same sentiments when the force was cut that went nowhere! Surely in this day and the world circumstances there would have been contingencies for cancellations!!
    Events like this will have insurance, so Ticketmaster, Optus Stadium, probably Rugby Australia, will get some of their money back (or money they would have expected as income) but then the insurance companies will take a hit (and eventually it'll fall on us) and all for NZRU making a unilateral decision.

I'd prefer to see SANZAAR turn round to NZRU and refuse to give them their TV revenue for the year until all claimants for damages are paid. For instance, the TV companies are going to say that they've lost content, so they should pay a reduced quantity to SANZAAR. Fine, that lost revenue comes out of NZRU's cut.

Ticketmaster will have taken ~$10 million in ticket sales which will have to be repaid to individual ticket holders. Assuming Ticketmaster take a ~10% cut of sales, they are down ~$1 million, so they petition SANZAAR for that. RA were to get the remaining $9 million, from which they have to pay ground hire, etc. They could continue to pay Optus their hire costs (so Optus don't have to stop paying their staff and costs, etc) and RA ask SANZAAR for that $9 million; from which they pay back the WA government the $4 million they paid to host (or $2 million, and the promise to host another game?). Crown will have lost revenue for putting the NZRU up for a week, maybe Transperth can claim for lost numbers of travelers (although I think travel is usually included in the ticket), franchises at Optus will have lost expected income, etc. Once all these organisations which have lost money have been compensated by SANZAAR the NZRU gets the the remaining TV revenue. The NZRU don't seem to feel ashamed or remorseful that they've put anyone else out, so possibly the only way to hurt the NZRU is financially.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I doubt insurance would cover anything. It wasn't force majeure, they just chose not to show up. Insurance probably excludes Covid as a valid cause these days anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Can't see how any of the advance fees or similar would fall to the AB account...
    Looks like you are on the money Andy. But RA are trying to apply pressure anyway. There is no indication here of the WA Govt's current position re quarantine for the AB's. If not favorable, it would help get the NZRU off any potential legal hook, I imagine.

‘I want it in writing’: Rugby Australia’s $5 million Bledisloe threat.

Rugby Australia has asked New Zealand Rugby for a written guarantee they will get on a plane and play in a rescheduled Bledisloe Cup game in Perth on September 4, and have threatened to pass on a $5 million bill if they don’t.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...22-p58kvz.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Pressure could be getting to the Kiwis who say they are likely to come. Well done RA for a change - keep the foot on the throat.
    The compo claim from WA, if successful would likely be through the RA contract into a clause that NZ cancelled I would imagine although I'm not au fait with these things. That's probably why it says the Govt will send them a bill (if indirectly) I expect.

New Zealand Rugby boss Mark Robinson says All Blacks in talks to re-schedule Bledisloe Cup clash at Optus Stadium
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sun, 22 August 2021 12:21PM

The war of words between Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby has continued with claims the All Blacks “never had any intention” of heading to Perth for next weekend’s now cancelled Bledisloe Cup clash.
    NZR boss Mark Robinson said they remain open to sending the All Blacks to Perth for a re-scheduled Test at Optus Stadium next month.
    But RA chief executive Andy Marinos said they had been set unrealistic deadlines before the Kiwis pulled out on Friday.
    “They unilaterally discredited us, made a public statement before we even had an opportunity to further discuss. It was pretty clear to me I don’t think they really ever had any intention of playing that game on the 28th,” Marinos said on the Nine Network.
    Marinos said NZR announced the withdrawal on Friday while they were trying to work out a solution that included future Rugby Championship games.

All Blacks ‘warned’ to get to Perth early due to COVID concerns
    State Government could bill All Blacks for Bledisloe withdrawal
    Rennie lets rip over All Blacks decision not to travel to Perth

“The context around all of this is that we had an emergency call the Thursday morning to try get clarity around the future structure with South Africa giving a very clear indication that they could host it,” Marinos said.
    “So we had certainty that if we couldn’t deliver it in Australia, we could certainly go to South Africa as a fall back so to speak, but Mark [Robinson] and New Zealand Rugby put forward a pretty unrealistic deadline on us of 12pm for Friday.
    “We had a further call to make the final decision and we were prepared to do that, though they were pretty adamant in terms of their decision, but at no stage during that time did he make any mention of the fact that he was going to be making a public statement and that’s really what just completely blindsided all of us.”
    NZR chief executive Robinson has denied the claims and said senior Wallabies and All Blacks had discussed the situation and knew about the controversial decision.
    He defended pulling out the All Blacks and said talks were being held on re-scheduling the game for September 4 or early October.
    “They are scenarios we are committed to looking at and we think there might be a possibility of doing that....reasonably confident we’ll find a way to do that,” Robinson said.
    “We are open to game on 4th September. We understand there might be a possibility around that, we’ll explore that.
    “We are committed to playing the game and we are working really hard to find an alternative.”
    Rugby Australia is trying to save the game, hoping it can be played on September 4 at Optus Stadium.
    The cancellation brought simmering trans-Tasman tension to new levels as a “bloody angry” Wallabies coach Dave Rennie labelled the move disrespectful, and said they had found out the All Blacks weren’t leaving New Zealand through social media.
    The All Blacks would have gone into “soft quarantine” after arriving in Perth, allowing them to train in a bubble for seven days before the game.
    But Robinson said he had been given no certainty what the Rugby Championship schedule looked like after the Bledisloe and had concerns for player welfare.
    It is hoped games, including South Africa and Argentina, can be played in Queensland but they may be moved to South Africa or Europe.
    “We tried to give Rugby Australia as much time as possible, until Friday afternoon, to have quarantine tidied up with Queensland,” Robinson told Newstalk ZB in New Zealand.
    “That was unable to be achieved and, therefore, we weren’t really able to get on a plane.”
    When asked if he had advised RA of the decision before it was made public, Robinson said: “Yes....reference to no consultation, that’s something not true.
    “We had calls right through from Wednesday, Thursday, we put something in writing and then we spoke to them before anything was released.”
    Robinson said he had sympathy for Rennie and understood RA’s frustration.
    “Certainly I know that senior Wallabies and All Blacks were discussing the situation and our players were making them aware of the reality of our situation,” he said.
    “It’s a shame that couldn’t get back to Dave and some of the people he’s referring to.
    “Rugby Australia are under severe financial pressure. This is an important game for them and we are committed to playing that match.
    “The reality is, under those circumstances, that frustration manifests with comments we saw yesterday, a lot of emotion, a lot of frustration, sometimes possibly not all the information, and that’s the result of it.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Looks like you are on the money Andy. But RA are trying to apply pressure anyway. There is no indication here of the WA Govt's current position re quarantine for the AB's. If not favorable, it would help get the NZRU off any potential legal hook, I imagine.

‘I want it in writing’: Rugby Australia’s $5 million Bledisloe threat.

Rugby Australia has asked New Zealand Rugby for a written guarantee they will get on a plane and play in a rescheduled Bledisloe Cup game in Perth on September 4, and have threatened to pass on a $5 million bill if they don’t.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...22-p58kvz.html
    I thought the WA govt had agreed to a “soft” quarantine of only 7 days?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    That was my understanding as well Alison like for AFL or how could they have played on Saturday when they were leaving Saturday?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast