Thread: 70-cap Wallaby Quade Cooper denied Australian citizenship

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

70-cap Wallaby Quade Cooper denied Australian citizenship

Alex Conrad
    NCA NewsWire
    JULY 13, 2021 5:01PM

Former Wallaby Quade Cooper played 70 Tests for Australia, including appearances at two World Cups, but he still can’t officially call himself an Aussie.

Cooper, who was born in New Zealand but moved to Australia when he was 13 years old, has never represented his nation of birth in rugby.

The fly-half took to social media to express his bemusement over his bungled citizenship case, tweeting: “Awkward moment @ausgov refuse your citizenship applications (again) … wearing the green and gold 70 times apparently is not enough these days … Cheers Shannon”

In a strange set of circumstances, Cooper was deemed not to have provided sufficient evidence for satisfying the special residence requirements.

Those include being a person engaging in activities to the benefit of Australia as well as being a person engaged in particular kinds of work requiring regular travel outside of the nation.

The 33-year-old spent twelve years playing for the Queensland Reds, amassing over 110 appearances for the side.

Cooper also linked up with the Melbourne Rebels in 2019, and had a stint with the Australian 7s rugby team sandwiched in-between.

However, his ambitions of representing Australia at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Jainerio were quashed because he did not hold an Australian passport at the time, as citizenship of a country is required for participating in the Olympics.

Cooper responded to a user who asked him how he had represented the Wallabies on the international stage before, stating he played for the Wallabies “As a visa holder.”

The rugby star is without a club after departing Japanese outfit Kintetsu Liners, where he made nine appearances.

From news.com.au

I am no fan of Quade Cooper - But surely he has done enough to be an Australian Citizen.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    You need to be mates with Peter Dutton to qualify for citizenship

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Look, I'm no Cooper fan - his quintessential brain farts at the absolute worst moments sometimes overshadowed his occasional brilliance - but this is heavy handed government bullshit!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    how the hell did I get it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    how the hell did I get it?
    There's only one thing certain about a beaurcratic balls-up; and that's that there's always the ability to make a bigger one.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David