Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: From little things big things grow, it's either that or a clusterfuck

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugaree View Post
    4 seasons and no sign of improvement, what sort of time frame should clubs be given? In my opinion the culture at some clubs has gotten worse and not better with time.

Also, no reason why if there is a championship or Div 2 that those clubs still can't field 3 teams.
    Last year was a total WOFTAM for all clubs, so not 4 seasons. 2018 and 2019 the whole community comp was affected by the demise of Western Force.

Let me share with you a discussion had over several years when Baysie and Roodogs were struggling, there were calls to reduce Premier clubs to 8 and go for relegation/promotion. The over whelming response we got from both clubs would be - if they had to go down to Championship their clubs would never recover.

When the players were canvassed at the 4 clubs in question, one massive response was "We want to opportunity to play Neddies, UWA, Cott etc ".

You all know too well how so many talented players move from club to club whether poached or not. I am sure you would agree if a Premiergrade team is relegated a handful of talented players will move.

Personally I believe a move towards a conference system would be worth exploring in more detail. Perhaps 3 out of the top 6 plus 4 out of the bottom 8 play as clubs home and away in a swan and emu conference and then we have top 4 in each conference play finals and bottom 3 play in a finals series. Each season the conference make up changes according to club's position in the previous year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    Agreed 100%
    Last weekends Average winning margin was 48 points

Whole season averages winning margin is 28 points

Growing the game Hansie ? Or is it just growing the spread of points ?

Not a quality competition .

Clutching at straws saying saying 2018/19 were impacted list force and 2020 was a write off . Hansie you have to deal with the cards dealt.

Pretty much all clubs accepted the concept of 14 clubs to try it out - all we are saying now after being 4 years in to a 3 year trial
    It has Failed miserably and the winning margins are blowing out I fan anything and not reducing .

All some of us are saying that it is time for something different as this model is no longer sustainable . Premier and Subbies Comp is a preferred options. Perhaps some clubs should just be “subbies” clubs and aim to be the best at that . The likes of Lindfield and Mosman I Sydney are prime examples of this

vCash
    What's the obsession with having bottom sides play finals? It's not a 7's comp where you need filler games to stop the crowd from leaving.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wjm View Post
    Last weekends Average winning margin was 48 points

Whole season averages winning margin is 28 points

Growing the game Hansie ? Or is it just growing the spread of points ?

Not a quality competition .

Clutching at straws saying saying 2018/19 were impacted list force and 2020 was a write off . Hansie you have to deal with the cards dealt.

Pretty much all clubs accepted the concept of 14 clubs to try it out - all we are saying now after being 4 years in to a 3 year trial
    It has Failed miserably and the winning margins are blowing out I fan anything and not reducing .

All some of us are saying that it is time for something different as this model is no longer sustainable . Premier and Subbies Comp is a preferred options. Perhaps some clubs should just be “subbies” clubs and aim to be the best at that . The likes of Lindfield and Mosman I Sydney are prime examples of this
    And there you have it... Quite correct - you, the clubs have to decide if you want to grow the game through participation or aspiration. if you have decided that participation has failed, then you need to guide RugbyWA into your carefully worked alternative. It is your comp and allow democracy to rule. If most clubs agree with your strategy, ask RugbyWa to implement it and Voila - you will be happy.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If a club wishes to field a team and manages to do so every week for a season then that should be ok.
    Why people think scores are more important than playing the actual game is beyond me.

back in the late 1980s there was a million authoritarian rules to be allowed to field a 1st grade team. so talented players left their lower grade clubs to go and play with first grade teams.. Lower grade clubs never got the good player density to make the jump.. ..and thus expand rugby in WA.

It takes a genuine toughness to run onto a field and face a 50-0 thrashing every week.. ..in the hope that with time and work you can turn things around. I'm all for letting the clubs who wish to walk this tough path keep on keeping on.

Can we just shut the fuck up about runaway scores?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    If a club wishes to field a team and manages to do so every week for a season then that should be ok.
    Why people think scores are more important than playing the actual game is beyond me.

back in the late 1980s there was a million authoritarian rules to be allowed to field a 1st grade team. so talented players left their lower grade clubs to go and play with first grade teams.. Lower grade clubs never got the good player density to make the jump.. ..and thus expand rugby in WA.

It takes a genuine toughness to run onto a field and face a 50-0 thrashing every week.. ..in the hope that with time and work you can turn things around. I'm all for letting the clubs who wish to walk this tough path keep on keeping on.

Can we just shut the fuck up about runaway scores?

Not sure I’d agree. Probably not quite what is needed at Premier Grade.
    Whilst amateur, not social, so scores do actually matter

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2plus13 View Post
    Not sure I’d agree. Probably not quite what is needed at Premier Grade.
    Whilst amateur, not social, so scores do actually matter
    Exactly this, we need a local competition that is competitive and will attract local and east coast/NZ talent who are keen to get on the force radar. This needs to be in place or the gap will continue to grow between the Force and clubland and next thing our local talent will be going east for game time.

It's great that there are players who want to train hard and turn up and lose heroically every round but sadly they don't belong at Premier grade level.

If the comp splits this year to top 8, one of Wanneroo, Baysie or Soaks won't be making it in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugaree View Post
    If the comp splits this year to top 8, one of Wanneroo, Baysie or Soaks won't be making it in.
    As per the last couple of seasons it's top 6. And the split has now taken place. And none of those teams named have made it.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    As per the last couple of seasons it's top 6. And the split has now taken place. And none of those teams named have made it.
    I meant split as in 2 Divisions based on this years placings, one of the above won't be in next seasons Premier Grade

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4