Thread: Was Dave Wessels hard done by?

Senior Player
    vCash

Was Dave Wessels hard done by?

With confirmation as Foote as the new head coach of the Rebels I cant help but feel Wessels was a little hard done by. I don't see what Foote adds that Wessels would not have done. What are other people's thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think he was a little hard done by, but he did take over a side which had quite a lot of potential.

There were a number of Force players who went to Melbourne with him, which indicates that he was probably quite liked as a coach, and this gave him a squad and a half from which to pick a winning side, and he did well at the start of each of his 3 seasons (IIRC) before they started to do worse towards the end of the season.

This could either be fitness issues (something to do with him), injuries (nothing to do with him), his tactics being worked out and not having a back-up plan (totally to do with him) or an issue with the playing squad.

We've seen teams like the Crusaders winning year on year and having a winning mentality which goes beyond the individual players and becomes part of the club culture. Successive Rebels coaches have failed to get some talented sides playing well consistently for a full season, and maybe there the opposite of the Crusaders in Melbourne with a losing mentality, or possibly a "that's good enough" mentality. You can say that part of Wessels' job is to change the club culture, but if the culture comes from the club ownership it can be hard for the coach to achieve that.

I'm pretty sure that getting crowds of ~3,000 in a >20,000 seater stadium don't help the player's motivation, either.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    With confirmation as Foote as the new head coach of the Rebels I cant help but feel Wessels was a little hard done by. I don't see what Foote adds that Wessels would not have done. What are other people's thoughts?
    I'd agree, but it's highly likely that, similar with the Tahs job, they sacked the Head coach thinking they'd have a long list of suitably qualified applicants crawling over each other to apply and then discovered that nobody wants to commit to the disaster that is Rugby Australia.

even more so now that the Rebels are the team being talked about when there are discussions of dropping a team.

I would argue that Kevin Foote is the one who is in real trouble now!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yes but at least we can have article titles like ‘Rebels give Foote head job’.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And Nick Stiles coming in as GM? Is he replacing someone or is this a new position, in which case - where are they getting that money from?!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Maybe a bit like when Wessels replaced Foley - the club was on its knees financially at the time so appointing someone who was already the assistant coach would have come much cheaper than relocating someone with a better pedigree from another city or country. Probs the same here. Plus the fact that coaching the Rebels probably wouldn’t exactly attract the best field of candidates.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    How long was Wessels there? 4 years?

Unfortunately it's the way sport goes these days. As Sheikh said, he took over a pretty decent squad in 2018. He's not the only Melbourne coach to under perform though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And Nick Stiles coming in as GM? Is he replacing someone or is this a new position, in which case - where are they getting that money from?!
    You, of anybody, should know the answer to that question

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    You, of anybody, should know the answer to that question

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon