Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies announce 38-man squad for France

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies announce 38-man squad for France

Force duo named in Wallabies squad

June 13, 2021
    Western Force lock Sitaleki Timani and hooker Feleti Kaitu’u have both been named in Dave Rennie’s Wallabies squad for the upcoming Test Series against France next month.
    Timani returned to the Force this year following eight seasons in the French Top 14 with Montpellier and Clermont and has excelled back on the Super Rugby stage. With 18 caps already to his name, Timani will be looking to add to his Wallabies tally in July.
    Kaitu’u has enjoyed a fantastic Super Rugby campaign in 2021, with the front rower having taken part in the Wallabies training camp on the Gold Coast in April. This is the 26-year-old’s first Wallabies Test squad call-up and he is primed to make his debut for Australia.
    Force Chief Executive Officer Tony Lewis is delighted with their selection.
    “It’s very exciting to have two Force players in the team. The big news for me is that Feleti has come through Global Rapid Rugby, a competition that Andrew and Nicola Forrest developed.”
    Rennie confirmed his squad on a Stan Sport special this afternoon alongside captain Michael Hooper.
    The squad contains 11 uncapped players with a further 14 players having played less than 10 Tests.
    The squad marks a return to the Wallabies for Timani after 2,760 days, with the Force veteran having last played for Australia on the 2013 Spring Tour against Scotland.
    The full squad will convene on Tuesday at Sanctuary Cove on the Gold Coast having completed their duties in the Harvey Norman Super Rugby Trans-Tasman this weekend.
    Stan Sport will showcase every Wallabies Test in 2021 ad-free, live and on demand while every game will also be shown on the Nine Network.
    The Wallabies will square off against France in the first Test at Sydney’s iconic Sydney Cricket Ground on Wednesday, 7 July before moving south for the second game on Tuesday, 13 July at AAMI Park in Melbourne.
    Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane will host the third and final Test on Saturday 17 July, with tickets to every match available via Ticketek.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wallabies coach Dave Rennie has announced a 38-man squad for the upcoming series against France.

Michael Hooper will once again captain the side after making his return from Japan.

Lock Matt Philip also makes his return to the set-up after finishing his stint with French club Pau.

The squad contains 11 uncapped players with a further 14 players having played less than 10 Tests.

The debutants include Brumbies duo Len Ikitau and Lachlan Lonergan along with Force hooker Feleti Kaitu'u and Rebels back-rower Rob Leota.

It also marks a return for Sitaleki Timani, with the Western Force veteran last played for Australia 2760 days ago on the 2013 Spring Tour against Scotland.

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie said in a statement: “We’ve picked this squad on form and on potential, and I know the whole group really excited to get stuck in and push their case for a Wallaby jersey against France.

“Obviously the squad is a bit bigger than what we would normally have but we had to consider how we will handle the rigours of the Series against France.

“We’ll get together on Tuesday and then start our preparations in earnest for what promises to be a really exciting Series against a side that’s at the top of its game."

Waratahs pair Jake Gordon (knee) and Izaia Perese (shoulder) have been named in the squad and will be racing the clock ahead of the first Test starting on July 7 at the SCG.

The action will then head to Melbourne on July 13 before travelling up to Suncorp Stadium on July 17.

Wallabies squad for 2021 eToro France Series (Test caps, Harvey Norman Super Rugby side and age)

*Uncapped players Allan Alaalatoa (43, Brumbies, 27) Tom Banks (11, Brumbies, 26) Angus Bell (3, NSW Waratahs, 20) Filipo Daugunu (5, Queensland Reds, 26) Pone Fa’amausili* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 24) Lalakai Foketi* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 26) Jake Gordon (5, NSW Waratahs, 27) Reece Hodge (45, Melbourne Rebels, 26) Michael Hooper (c) (105, Verblitz/NSW Waratahs, 29) Len Ikitau* (uncapped, Brumbies, 22) Feleti Kaitu’u* (uncapped, Western Force, 26) Andrew Kellaway* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 25) Marika Koroibete (34, Melbourne Rebels, 28) Rob Leota* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 24) Noah Lolesio (2, Brumbies, 21) Lachlan Lonergan* (uncapped, Brumbies, 21) Tate McDermott (2, Queensland Reds, 22) Fraser McReight (1, Queensland Reds, 22) Andy Muirhead* (uncapped, Brumbies, 28) Isi Naisarani (8, Melbourne Rebels, 26) James O’Connor (55, Queensland Reds, 30) Brandon Paenga-Amosa (9, Queensland Reds, 25) Hunter Paisami (6, Queensland Reds, 23) Izaia Perese* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 24) Matt Philip (9 Tests, Pau/Melbourne Rebels, 27) Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (25, Queensland Reds, 24) Scott Sio (68, Brumbies, 29) James Slipper (100, Brumbies, 32) Darcy Swain* (uncapped, Brumbies, 23) Lachie Swinton (1, NSW Waratahs, 24) Sitaleki Timani (18, Western Force, 34) Matt To’omua (54, Melbourne Rebels, 31) Taniela Tupou (25, Queensland Reds, 25) Rob Valetini (4 Tests, Brumbies, 22) Michael Wells* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 28) Nic White (37, Brumbies, 31) Harry Wilson (6, Queensland Reds, 21) Tom Wright (3, Brumbies, 23)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Totals:
    Brumbies 12
    Reds 9
    Rebels 9 ( incl 1 ex Overseas)
    Tahs 6 ( incl 1 ex OS)
    Force 2

And people wonder if there is an anti west bias.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Apart from Lee-Warner and Stander I don't think there would be many other Force players I'd select.

Is Anstee preparing for the Olympics or injured?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Apart from Lee-Warner and Stander I don't think there would be many other Force players I'd select.

Anstee has joined up with the sevens squad.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...936ac088b50fb9

Would also say Tom Robertson should have been in the squad

Senior Player
    vCash
    FLW should be there. Too may tahs.

Player
    vCash
    Robinson?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    FLW should be there. Too may tahs.
    I would have FLW there any day over card magnet Swinton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    Anstee has joined up with the sevens squad.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...936ac088b50fb9

Would also say Tom Robertson should have been in the squad
    Spurned the Tahs and hinted at culture issues. Made it worse by coming here?

vCash

That's not the issue in question, which 6 Waratahs would you pick before Force players (or anybody in Super Rugby)

Rennie went with
    Gordon
    Swinton
    Perese
    Bell
    Foketi
    Hooper

Of those, Hooper is there because he's costing the union a million dollars a season, they can't admit that was a mistake, Peresi has been one of the best in an atrocious team and maybe Gordon gets there for turning them around from being a rabble to a slightly less rabble.

THose 3 would be an affront, but understandable
    Swinton, Bell and Foketi, they're just taking the piss.

Better than Swinton in the Force
    Koteka, Stander, Anstee, Callan, Lee Warner and that's without looking at the team list

Better than Bell
    Robertson (towelled him up in the set piece both games and has been dynamic around the field)

Better than Foketi
    Kyle Godwin and my dead grandmother

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Swinton will be out for 6 after last nights red card.

vCash
    Kane Koteka has an enormous work rate. As of about a week back I think he had hit more rucks than any other player either side of the ditch. But, and I haven't seen stats for this, for a 7 he doesn't seem to win enough turn overs/penalties (just like Hooper) . Maybe that's why he's overlooked.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's not the issue in question, which 6 Waratahs would you pick before Force players (or anybody in Super Rugby)

Rennie went with
    Gordon
    Swinton
    Perese
    Bell
    Foketi
    Hooper

Of those, Hooper is there because he's costing the union a million dollars a season, they can't admit that was a mistake, Peresi has been one of the best in an atrocious team and maybe Gordon gets there for turning them around from being a rabble to a slightly less rabble.

THose 3 would be an affront, but understandable
    Swinton, Bell and Foketi, they're just taking the piss.

Better than Swinton in the Force
    Koteka, Stander, Anstee, Callan, Lee Warner and that's without looking at the team list

Better than Bell
    Robertson (towelled him up in the set piece both games and has been dynamic around the field)

Better than Foketi
    Kyle Godwin and my dead grandmother
    Not a big fan of Cooper as captain but who else has the necessary experience? James O'Connor maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joblot View Post
    Not a big fan of Cooper as captain but who else has the necessary experience? James O'Connor maybe.
    I've resigned myself to the presence of Hooper, It's become somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy with most of the capable sevens leaving the country to earn money overseas and possibly qualify for International rugby by residency.

I honestly can't say whether there's a better 7 running around in Australia anymore
    Hardwick, Koteka, Tizzano would all be candidates, but there's nothing to compare them to

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    The squad is very light on second rowers and stacked with backrowers. There is no reason to pick another backrower (Michael Wells) over someone who can cover second row and backrow (FLW). Don't get me started on Swinton, you are rewarding a guy for getting how many cards in the last year?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast