Thread: Coach Tim Sampson disappointed with Western Force loss to Super Rugby champions Crusa

Champion
    vCash

Coach Tim Sampson disappointed with Western Force loss to Super Rugby champions Crusa

Tim Sampson not happy and quite rightly so

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 5 June 2021 1:36PM

Angry Western Force coach Tim Sampson said the disappointing 29-21 trans-Tasman Super Rugby loss to champion side Crusaders was a line in the sand moment.

“That was a huge missed opportunity. We lost a game that was there to be won,” Sampson said.

“It was a line in the sand moment for us to believe and understand where this club is at at the moment.”

The Force scored three tries to the Crusaders’ five but there were plenty of opportunities to have caused the upset of the tournament.

They dominated possession and territory after the break and forced the Crusaders into 158 tackles, 50 more than they made.

They performed better than the Reds and Waratahs who had 63 and 54 points scored against them by the Crusaders but Sampson said that was not good enough.

“We can’t be happy with coming close. We didn’t get the win. That’s the bottom line,” he said.

The Force defended well for extended periods and held the ball for multiple phases.

But they struggled to really punch through the defensive line and were let down by poor errors.

“In our attacking 22 metres we didn’t get the outcomes that we needed,” Sampson said.

“We had a lot of possession but just didn’t go to the line.

“We’re defending very well at the moment but we’ve got to be a good attacking team and score tries.

“At this level it’s fine margins, you give away penalties, you get punished.

“We were disappointed with the penalties that led to us defending out try-line.

“It’s what’s happening prior to us having to defend our try line that’s hurting us.”

The Force were in the game with half-time approaching, just 17-14 down, but the Crusaders stunned them, scoring either side of the break.

“If we go in at 17-14 that’s a reflection of how the first half was played out,” Sampson said.

Meanwhile back-rower Ollie Callan, who stepped out of club rugby with Wanneroo into Super Rugby with no National Rugby Championship experience had a dream starting debut with a first-half try.

“A great moment for Ollie. He didn’t look out of place whatsoever,” Sampson said.

Callan, 20, a junior Wallaby, said: “There was a bit of nerves but probably more excited.

“Tim told me to play like I play. There was no pressure. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time for the try.”

Winger Toni Pulu (foot) and flanker Tim Anstee (shoulder) are in doubt for next Saturday’s clash with the Blues in Auckland.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The centres need to do better. Or rather, they should have selected a centre pairing that is better in attack.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The centres need to do better. Or rather, they should have selected a centre pairing that is better in attack.
    You are spot on as usual Alison

Champion
    vCash
    I'm a bit concerned by this statement

“It was a line in the sand moment for us to believe and understand where this club is at at the moment.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I'm a bit concerned by this statement

Yeah, I’m thinking all is not well. Something isn’t adding up for me.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Okay, okay. Lets all calm down here everyone. The way I read that line is just that Tim and the rest of the team are just very passionate about the club and want to prove themselves and really show we are a club not to be messed with. Its just hard when you don't the Ws. I don't think there is anything funny or tin foil hat kind of thing going on.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I disagree. I don't think its the center combination. I think its more that we are way too slow to get the ball out to Godwin or TK for them to do anything special. The opposition defense is already set up ready to go by the time they get the ball.

vCash
    The Force did lots of great intuitive heads-up stuff that got them close to a victory against the Chiefs, then they lost that intuition over the subsequent weeks. I wonder if this was a coaching thing, or an on-field captaincy thing?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Before a ball was kicked this year, how many of us seriously thought we would be in a position to win any matches against NZ opposition? Hopeful at best, I'd guess. Coaches have to demand continuous improvement in standards from their players. Even if they have, privately, exceeded expectations. Hopefully he'll get the lift he's demanding on Saturday.

Player
    vCash
    IMHO the attack is far better than previous years . If we can match NZ player’s work off the ball and support once the line is broken we’ll be winning alot more . Cmon Force !!! This is a very good team ….

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    If we can match NZ player’s work off the ball
    ... Like "screen" players loitering in the D line to prevent defenders shutting the gate from the inside, taking out defenders not in the ruck, jersey grabbing and such?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    ... Like "screen" players loitering in the D line to prevent defenders shutting the gate from the inside, taking out defenders not in the ruck, jersey grabbing and such?
    that REALLY grinds your gears doesn't it?

Reds and particularly Brumbies have been doing that all year, they just arent as good at it as the Kiwi teams

C'mon the

vCash
    Yep. Like I said to you b4 they are very good at it. If it's not policed, our teams need to get better too. Just like they need to match their accuracy in execution, running as hard hitting and sticking just as hard also.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David