The West really is a shambles. The same story repeated or perhaps, to pinch a phrase, they like us so much they wrote about us twice.

Western Force winger Manasa Mataele confident of progress ahead of Super Rugby season
Ben Smith | The West Australian | Thu, 16 February 2023 8:06AM

Manasa Mataele may be a long way from home, but the Western Force winger has zero regrets when there is a new Super Rugby season to look forward to.

The Fijian international made an impact on Force fans last year and now in his sophomore season, the winger is confident in the direction the side are heading.

The Force take on Fijian Drua in Queensland in their final pre-season hit-out on Thursday evening, ahead of next weekend’s Super Rugby opener at HBF Park against the Melbourne Rebels.

Mataele said he was excited in the direction the Force were heading under new coach Simon Cron, and it vindicated his decision to take a leap of faith in joining the club.

“Where this team is heading and the coaches and the vision they have for the team and the organisation moving forward, that was a solid reason I signed for the Force,” he said.

“We’re a bit of an underdog team, but I love a challenge and that was the whole reason I came over, to challenge myself and see what I’m capable of.

We’re a bit of an underdog team, but I love a challenge.

“This is me stepping out of my comfort zone and putting myself out there and trying to be the leader I know that I am.”

With just over a week between their final practice game and the season beginning proper, Mataele said there was a buzz around the group as they polished off their game plan.

“Everyone’s prepared very well for the season and it’s just about fine-tuning some things and working on some combinations.

“Hopefully that will take us through the season, but we’ve got to start well, that’s a big focus for us.”

Mataele said he was looking forward to taking on his international teammates from

“We’re friends off the field, but once you step past that line, it’s something you deal with after the game.

“It’s no different for me playing in the other team. Rugby is rugby; it’s my job and it’s what I’m here to do.”

And here we go again

He may be a long way from home, but the Western Force winger has zero regrets when there is a new Super Rugby season to look forward to.

The Fijian international made an impact on Force fans last year and now in his sophomore season, the winger is confident in the direction the side are heading.

Manasa Mataele in action for the Western Force during the 2022 Super Rugby season.

The Force take on Fijian Drua in Queensland in their final pre-season hit-out on Thursday evening, ahead of next weekend’s Super Rugby opener at HBF Park against the Melbourne Rebels.

Mataele said he was excited in the direction the Force were heading under new coach Simon Cron, and it vindicated his decision to take a leap of faith in joining the club.

“Where this team is heading and the coaches and the vision they have for the team and the organisation moving forward, that was a solid reason I signed for the Force,” he said.

“We’re a bit of an underdog team, but I love a challenge and that was the whole reason I came over, to challenge myself and see what I'm capable of.

“This is me stepping out of my comfort zone and putting myself out there and trying to be the leader I know that I am.”

With just over a week between their final practice game and the season beginning proper, Mataele said there was a buzz around the group as they polished off their game plan.

“Everyone’s prepared very well for the season and it’s just about fine-tuning some things and working on some combinations.

“Hopefully that will take us through the season, but we’ve got to start well, that’s a big focus for us.”

Mataele said he was looking forward to taking on his international teammates from

“We’re friends off the field, but once you step past that line, it’s something you deal with after the game.

“It’s no different for me playing in the other team. Rugby is rugby; it’s my job and it’s what I’m here to do.”