Thread: Dave Wessels stands down as Rebels coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Dave Wessels stands down as Rebels coach

Fri, 30/04/2021, 10:37 am
    Nathan Williamson

The Melbourne Rebels have announced that Dave Wessels will step down as coach ahead of Super Rugby Trans-Tasman.

Wessels took over as coach in 2018 following the decision to remove the Force from Super Rugby, taking over from Tony McGahan.

Watch every minute of Super Rugby AU on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now.
    In that season, he would go on to break the club record for wins and points in a year.

However, a poor run of form saw the Rebels miss the finals in 2019, before breaking their drought in 2020 as part of Super Rugby AU.

With the club missing the finals again in 2021, Wessels has made the call to move on from the position as external pressure started to mount.

“Over the past few weeks, I’ve reflected a lot and I feel the time is right to pass the baton to someone else. Living in Melbourne and coaching the Melbourne Rebels has been a wonderful experience. I’ve learnt an incredible amount, built some really strong friendships and I feel confident that I am leaving the Club in a really good place,” he said in a statement.

"When I was first appointed interim Head Coach at the Western Force I had the final three games of the 2016 season to start leading and preparing the Club for the future. It gave me the opportunity to gain some valuable experience and test myself without the full responsibility of the job.

"I would like to give someone else that same opportunity; to test themselves and grow for the next phase in the Club’s journey.

“I’d like to thank my wife for her incredible support in our Rebels journey – being at home with young children whilst your partner travels for their role is often a much harder proposition and I couldn’t have got through the last two COVID impacted seasons without her amazing backing.

"I’d also like to thank our coaching team and staff at the Rebels who have been a pleasure and a privilege to work alongside. A big thank you also to the Rebels members and supporters, you have shared the highs and lows alongside our team and I appreciate all your support that you have shown me.

"Finally, I’d like to thank the playing group here at the Club, we’ve been unlucky this season, but I know with the type of men that you are, success is just around the corner.”

Rebels CEO Baden Stephenson thanked Wessels for his commitment to the side both on and off the field.

Stephenson said, “When Dave commenced the role at the end of 2017 it took a very special Coach to lead our Club through a period of intense change and he has done an almighty job to establish and evolve many foundations that the Club will continue to build on in the future.

“Dave developed Wallabies, identified and unearthed some elite talent, achieved the most successful seasons in the Club’s history amongst some very memorable victories.

“Dave’s work ethic, detail, desire, generosity and leadership were hallmarks of his tenure and I look forward to working with him over the coming months to set the Club up for future success.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/super-...-coach-2021430

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    I feel sorry for Dave. He was so great for us in 2017 and was really starting something before that awful RA.. I hope he isn't lost to coaching.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    2021 Force really seem to be the kiss of death for opposition coaches.

Do you think Wessels will end up at the Tahs?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I think he only got the full support of the board late last week.

Slightly off topic, I think Nathan Buckley will also be getting the full support of the board in the next couple of weeks depending on results.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Name:  thats-a-shame.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  79.0 KB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I think he only got the full support of the board late last week.

Slightly off topic, I think Nathan Buckley will also be getting the full support of the board in the next couple of weeks depending on results.
    Lose to the Gold Coast this week and he will have the full support of the board on Monday.

vCash
    Feel sorry for Dave Wessels. I think he had done well both times with the scenarios he was given. This year his team didnt make finals by 2 points, not necessarily that bad. I respect him for his days here, for trying to look after and take with him as much of the force players and admin he could. Also for rocking up to the test match against SA after the Force were axed in all his Force gear. Wish him well.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agree. If it genuinely was his decision, I'd wish him all the best and hope he has a nice gig lined up. If not and he was nudged (which is certainly how it looks after the last post-match press conference), I'd shake my head and say it only highlighted how fucked in the head management of "Australian Rugby" is, that he couldn't just work out the last few months of his contract in nominal control of the team.

Champion
    vCash
    He has posted a farewell video. All class. Wish him all the best. He was one of the first to wish Tim and the boys congratulations after the Reds win too

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    TBH, exactly the sort of bloke you'd wish was still involved in something like a GRR, completely independent from all the rest of the Australian rugby thrashwank. An NRC probably wouldn't have been a realistic next option anyway, but maybe a Japanese or American team given the way they're developing?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Feel sorry for Dave Wessels. I think he had done well both times with the scenarios he was given. This year his team didnt make finals by 2 points, not necessarily that bad. I respect him for his days here, for trying to look after and take with him as much of the force players and admin he could. Also for rocking up to the test match against SA after the Force were axed in all his Force gear. Wish him well.
    To be perfectly honest, Thursday of last week, I though he was going to the finals a second time, it was only my ocean blue glasses that made me say anything different, it proves how fine the lines can be when the board is looking for a way to cover their asses.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Lose to the Gold Coast this week and he will have the full support of the board on Monday.
    Check!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David