Thread: Competition to change for 2007

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Competition to change for 2007

I think this to be further good news for the increased standard of rugby across Australia.
    The more exposure our players get to higher levels of competition, the more they will lift the standard when they go back to their feeder clubs and the more battle ready they will be when selected for a Super 14 squad.

From The Australian via Fox Sport:

THE Australian Rugby Union is looking at relaunching the Australian Provincial Championship in an expanded format as early as June-July next year.

The four Australian Super 14 teams - Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds and Western Force - are scheduled to play in the inaugural championship in September-October, minus their Wallabies.

But the ARU is considering a new competition of up to 10 national and provincial teams to be played in June-July.

It is understood the new competition could possibly include three NSW teams, two Queensland teams, ACT, Western Australia, Japan and Pacific Island nations.

The ARU initially wanted the provincial championship to be played in June-July, but was opposed by the powerful NSWRU, which prefers the September-October timing because it does not intrude on the strong Sydney club competition.

But the other state unions are not happy with that timing, nor are the players.

A poll by the players association shows the majority would rather play in the more convenient June-July window.

The players are expected to forward a petition to the ARU shortly.

"I don't want to pre-judge it," ARU chief executive Gary Flowers said yesterday.

"We are embarking on an extensive, stake-holder process. We are investing significant funds and we will come up with a model which is a positive outcome for Australian rugby.
    "It is not an extra competition, but a more extensive competition. We have left it very open. It has to be affordable. Whether there are six, eight or 10 teams is something we have to look at."

The ARU had indicated it was prepared for an Australian A team to be part of the new Pacific Five Nations tournament, which involves Fiji, Japan, Samoa, Tonga and a New Zealand representative team.

But the Pacific tournament is being played in June-July, which would potentially conflict with the new Australian competition.

"The IRB wanted us to make a three-year commitment," Flowers said. "We put them on notice we will develop a national competition of some sort, possibly as early as 2007.

"We didn't want to get into a situation where we would take out the Wallabies and all of the other players as well.

"We were happy to play in it, but they insisted on a three-year commitment and we could not make it unless it was played at a time to suit. They have left the door open to us to participate." Meanwhile, fans in 41 countries across the Asia-Pacific will be able to watch live coverage of the Super 14 and Tri-Nations under a five-year agreement with ABC Asia-Pacific.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sounds good, they need to push for FTA TV rights. Come on ABC!

vCash
    The problem I have with the APC in its mooted embryonic form, is that the Oz S14 teams even without their Wallaby players will be far too strong for ANY provincial teams ,even a Sydney Metro team.
    Blind Freddy and Aunt Myrtle can see that - why can't the ARU ?
    In any case, it will do nothing to bridge the gap between amateurs and professionals when the S14 teams clean-up. We already see Qld vs NSW in the Reds vs Tahs!
    Competitions have to be more level than that to attract interest and sponsorship.
    Provinces relates more to regions than States. A state v state competition can't happen.

I'd rather see the OZ S14 teams tour South American countries in June- July, without their Wallaby players. For starters, the APC in each state would be City v Country. Then because our nation is so large, and to promote the game, why not a Tassie XV, NT XV, ACT XV (and dividing Qld and NSW into northern,central,southern) Northern Qld, Central Qld, Southern NSW etc.
    All up there's seventeen teams + whoever else to throw into the mix. Twenty is ideal.
    WA Metro vs WA Country winner vs same South Australian winner meets same Victorian winner.
    NT XV vs Nth Qld all cuts costs down. It can be tiered with neighbouring regions playing each other to advance to the next weekend. Can be done in 5 weekends. Will locals support it ? Of course.
    Can consolation plate games be organised for losing teams , to prolong the exposure? YES.
    Will it be a regional (provincial) competition? YES. ABC TV Rights? YES.
    When I see how many 7's tournaments are held, the above is very possible.
    Initially, it may start with less teams, but who wants to see an APC won by either Sydney Metro or Brisbane Metro year after year? Country Australians can't necessarily get to see the S14 teams in the capital cities (ditto for Adelaide,Melb,Hobart) or watch on Foxtel. But they can get to see their region play against their neighbouring region at least every second year. It might just turn some youngsters into rugby players!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    hmmm....read into the job description of the job on offer at the force site...membership manager.....

vCash
    Mystix wrote:

The problem I have with the APC in its mooted embryonic form, is that the Oz S14 teams even without their Wallaby players will be far too strong for ANY provincial teams ,even a Sydney Metro team.
    I'm happy to see the rugby shield expanding to cater more for regional/ameteur players. It's fantastic to see Tasmania come in. I'll be interested to see where they're at. Canberra should see some new talent appear, given the great players the area has produced in the past.

But let's not confuse this with the absolute need for a second tier professional competition to develop our non-Wallaby squad players. While I'm quite happy to see them help raise the local standard when not selected for S14 with the Force, they still need stronger opposition to develop as pro players. I favour this rather than short tours.