Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rugby viewer numbers

vCash

Rugby viewer numbers

Super Rugby AU viewer numbers up 144% - not including Stan streaming numbers.

Player registrations up 16.4%

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/ratings-up-an-average-of-144-as-harvey-norman-super-rugby-au-prepares-for-finals-2021426-news

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How can they compare non-streaming viewer numbers to last year when there was no fta coverage last year.

Surely they're reporting as a percentage of zero?

They should have said non streaming viewer numbers are up more than eleventh bazillion percent, it sounds better and is no less accurate

C'mon the

vCash
    I assume they comparing with standard TV number from Fox Sports.

Or possibly comparing the FTA game of week that would be on a delay of half a day and screened on a Sunday morning which is pretty terrible for anything in terms of TV numbers.

vCash
    Yeah I assume the same thing, but it's a long way from apples for apples isn't it?

I'd suggest any comparison is pretty flawed. Your paywall viewership will likely be lower, because some will be happy just picking up the fta, your overall should be higher because some people will watch the fta just to kick tyres.

Probably safer to stick to attendance numbers for an empirical comparison, but even that's flawed. Force and rebels didn't play rugby at home last year so that will cause a change.

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't think it's unfair to compare between an uptick in viewers between Pay TV and FTA, if anything it's more of a no brainer that something on FTA is going to get more viewers. Can't be a bad thing making the game more accessible to casual fans on a Saturday night when the NRL is behind a Pay wall.

I would love to see the Stan streaming numbers.

Attendances are a different comparison altogether, easy to argue that Force attendances are up 100% on last years attendances for Super Rugby.

vCash
    Ch9 as FTA broadcaster is interesting. Most of the promos I've seen are pushing Stan and I haven't seen any promoting the FTA matches. Strange when they have no competition from NRL on Saturdays. Way to grow your business? Don't think so.
    I might have another look to see if numbers for FTA have risen over time. Probably excluding NSW.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Super Rugby final numbers:

Peak audience: 464k
    Average audience: 285k
    Stan Sport streaming numbers: Over 100k

vCash
    Any ideas how that compares to Foxtel numbers? Ch 9 promoted the FTA final way better than they did through the season. The Suncorp attendance was pretty encouraging.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Yes it’s good to see some positives news coming out for a change!

vCash
    Will be great to be able to watch them live on Friday night instead of the TV. Hope to catch up with some of you in the members bar before the game.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Any ideas how that compares to Foxtel numbers?
    Just by inspection they'd be well higher. But then Foxtel was only part of the story, as most of the money came from overseas. So good and bad I would guess. Quite surprised they didn't broadcast the NZ final as well though; they wouldn't have got much less for that too and you'd think they'd be wanting to set up the TT and make a big last push for Stan...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    From memory, I think 9 only bought the FTA rights to SR Au. Maybe better figures will encourage them to cough up for some more FTA rights in future. And promote it better during their NRL coverage. I imagine they will keep a close eye on how many new Stan subscriptions are forthcoming over the next couple of weeks.

vCash
    The Kiwi comp was screened on Stan.

I'd say they either didn't think it would rate well on FTA in Australia or there's something in the contract, but I think it's likely the former.

I did see on Reddit that the ratings number for the final was up 240% on last years final but I forget whether it was the average or the peak figure they were referring to.

Champion
    vCash
    There is a lot of positives for rugby in Australia at the moment. I think Nine/Stan is a big jump up in standard from the level Fox/Kayo were dishing up recently.
    Big crowd at Suncorp, tough close game and happy Reds fans might keep coming back in big numbers for the rest of the season. Plus all the Kiwi fans who live in Australia will hopefully turn up to see their sides as well.
    If no more Covid this week, hopefully Force V Chiefs crowd could be up around the 75% or 15K allowed at HBF

I went down to Cott on Saturday to watch Cott V Soaks and there was a great crowd there for a WA club game. As good packed crowd as any I can remember at their derbies in 35 years that I have watched them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    all the Kiwi fans who live in Australia will hopefully turn up to see their sides as well.
    If no more Covid this week, hopefully Force V Chiefs crowd could be up around the 75% or 15K allowed at HBF
    Funny you should mention that; was getting in the car at Aldi today and a Kiwi fella asked if I'm going on Friday. (my ute is, of course, plastered with member stickers). "Yeah. Are you?"....... "Yeah, its The Chiefs man. I come from there - Tokoroa"......" Great. Been to any other Force matches this year? No mate, not since last time the Chiefs were here."

Dead set; you feel a bit like saying. "FFS mate! You fuckers are a part of the reason you haven't been able to see them here in 4 years."

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast