Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Force List 2022 speculation

Player
    vCash
    The Force should be able to actively contact any player not on contract for next year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Now the more I think about it, the more likely I think we will be looking at picking up a few guys from the MLR.

Luke Burton, Angus Cottrell, Billy Meakes, Corey Thomas. All ex-Force players who are probably just treading water in that competition with the Giltinis.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Now the more I think about it, the more likely I think we will be looking at picking up a few guys from the MLR.

Luke Burton, Angus Cottrell, Billy Meakes, Corey Thomas. All ex-Force players who are probably just treading water in that competition with the Giltinis.
    James, no disrespect but I hope not. These guys aren't what's needed for the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    isnt there an agreement at some level that we wont "buy" players from other Australian SuperRugby teams
    I believe there was no actual agreement, it was more that Hodgo/Twiggy didn't want to get strong by weakening Aussie rugby I believe that the Force needed to recruit overseas talent because they had no lead time and they didn't have their pick of players because contracts were still (kinda) active.

With the finances as they are ATM they could have swept through all other teams and bought whoever they want based upon the fact that Force were able to guarantee full freight while the others were technically in breach of contract. but they didn't.

I think the problem will be eased this year, with another year to plan who to approach and knowing who is coming off contract and it will be easier next year for the same reason. If they want Michael Hooper they'll have to wait until 2048 or whenever his current contract is up, but I'm not too worried about that, Locking Hooper into the Tahs only serves to protect every other team from him anyway.

Expect to see more Aussies into the team next year, but I would think not exclusively, simply because, again, they need to wait for some contracts to end before they can get every Aussie player they want. I would also not be surprised if there was a contract offered to an international player to fill a gap while they're waiting for the guys they want.

It'll likely be a three or four year thing, even more until we see a massive upswing in the WA lads (how long did it take the first time around)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash

I hope Billy Meakes never comes back to the Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    I liked Billy Meakes, thought he played well. Not sure of how he is playing these days though

vCash

A lot naturally depends on who else we can get - and retain. Say we get Jake Ball back and either of Tizzano or Hardwicke; we are pretty well covered for back row stocks. Would we want a 31yo Cottrell, good as he is? Or Corey Thomas who left for opportunity but never managed to progress?
    Luke Burton is a yes, given how hard 10's are to come by, even if we also get Deegan when he's off-contract. Meeks is a maybe. If we retain TK and Teafu he's a no, with Burton able to play 12. Nice jig-saw for Hodgo to work on.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Isn't there an expectation that we conform to the salary cap for 2022 (and onwards) though? We can't play fantasy rugby with an unlimited cheque book.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    Same.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Isn't there an expectation that we conform to the salary cap for 2022 (and onwards) though? We can't play fantasy rugby with an unlimited cheque book.
    Yes. I am pretty sure we had a dispensation this year but from next year we will have to operate under the same cap as the other franchises.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    Tony Lewis explicitly said (numerous times) that the Force operates under the same salary cap as the other four franchises.

Rookie
    vCash
    Which ABs would you want in the Force if Andy Marinos gets his way?

Christy Doran from Fox Sports
    @christypdoran
    May 17th, 2021 8:07 pm

‘We’re open-minded’: RA considering game-changing Super Rugby move to boost depth

Late last year it was revealed James O’Connor was considering making the move across the ditch to play in New Zealand.

O’Connor approached the Chiefs because he wanted to test himself weekly against New Zealand opposition.

The Chiefs left a spot open in their roster for the Wallabies playmaker, but the move was blocked by Rugby Australia because they wanted to look after their own backyard and needed star power to sell the game.

But the sight of seeing Wallabies plying their trade on the other side of the ditch and All Blacks playing in Australia could be the way forward, if Rugby Australia gets their way.

Rugby Australia CEO Andy Marinos revealed on Monday the governing body were having “philosophical conversations” with New Zealand Rugby about opening the borders, so players could play in the same competition but on other sides of the ditch and still remain eligible for their national teams.

“From an RA perspective, if we’re playing in a competition whether it’s here, New Zealand, you start looking ahead to Japan and other markets, I think if you’ve got all players that are playing in that competition eligible it’s only good for the comp because you get the cross pollination of the player, you’ll be able to create that unpredictability in outcome,” Marinos said.

“That’s something we’re open-minded about.

“I know my compatriots across the water have a very firm view in terms of how they want to manage their eligibility.

“But I think looking at the world today, we’re probably going to have to be a little bit more open-minded about what that looks like.”

Wallabies great Mark Ella has been advocating this direction for years.

Currently, New Zealand Rugby won’t pick a player for the All Blacks if they’re playing overseas while Rugby Australia has shown some flexibility with their eligibility laws in recent years.

Sceptics undoubtedly will ask, what’s in it for New Zealand?

The answer is New Zealand would be able to unearth more depth for the All Blacks, which would also help the competition.

Already the Force have former All Blacks Jeremy Thrush and Richard Kahui in their squads, while a number of Australians – Michael Alaalatoa, Pete Samu, Sam Lousi – also benefited from playing in New Zealand.

Marinos’ interesting revelation comes off the back of a frustrating opening weekend of Super Rugby trans-Tasman fixtures where Australia went winless from five matches.

After a discouraging opening night, Australian rugby were two kicks away from finishing the weekend with a draw and a win.

Noah Lolesio’s conversion miss after the full time hooter meant the Brumbies left Christchurch without a share of the points, while Argentine international Domingo Miotti failed to convert his try after the siren which would have given the Force a brilliant upset win.

Despite the winless weekend, Marinos remained adamant Australia would have five franchises going forward.

“Where we are now, absolutely,” Marinos said, speaking from the Sydney Cricket Ground ahead of the release of tickets for July’s three match Test series against France.

“It’s what we’ve packaged up and we’ve committed to.

“I think that’s part of the overall strategy certainly from our side about the regeneration of the game from the grassroots up. We’ve certainly got a strong youth and underbelly to Australian rugby. Our under-20s and our schoolboys have performed, so there’s a good nursery coming through.”

The Western Force almost pulled off a gigantic upset against the Chiefs. Photo: Getty Images

Yet, Marinos added that they would continue to work with Australia’s franchises to target foreigners to fill areas within squads that have glaring holes.

“It’s about the equalisation of our talent across our five franchises,” the former SANZAAR boss said.

“Having the ability to be a bit more astute and discreet in terms of how we populate those franchises with foreign players, and probably have a bit more of an open-minded approach to that.”

The Force, in particular, have benefited from an influx of Argentinian talent, which has seen halfback Tomas Cubelli, prop Santiago Medrano, back-rower Tomas Lazana and Miotti feature heavily. Irish great Rob Kearney and England under-20s star Jordan Olowofela have also helped strengthen the squad.

Marinos admitted the weekend’s results were “disappointing”, but said the results wouldn’t dictate the structure of next year’s Super Rugby competition.

“What we can’t move away from is that we’ve got to be able to test ourselves against other opposition,” he said.

“We can’t be introspective the whole time.

“My whole remit is to do what’s best for Rugby Australia and what’s going to give us the best platform to excel on the international stage as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...7a90da8a3a6a69

vCash
    Can anyone actually see any positives for the Wallabies in......."The answer is New Zealand would be able to unearth more depth for the All Blacks" ?
    I bloody can't. If NZ officials, OTOH, can't see benefit in having that option as well as their NPC to develop players then their heads are up their proverbials so I'm a little worried this might get a run. I think, in the absence of NRC or GRR, the way Hodgo and the bosses are heading is the right direction. Be interesting to hear Tony Lewis's take on that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Can anyone actually see any positives for the Wallabies in......."The answer is New Zealand would be able to unearth more depth for the All Blacks" ?
    I bloody can't. If NZ officials, OTOH, can't see benefit in having that option as well as their NPC to develop players then their heads are up their proverbials so I'm a little worried this might get a run. I think, in the absence of NRC or GRR, the way Hodgo and the bosses are heading is the right direction. Be interesting to hear Tony Lewis's take on that.
    I can, the Wallabies will be able to poach NZ youngsters from their academies with the promise of regular game time against soft opposition and then qualify them as Wallabies after they've served residency. I guess I shouldn't be posting this on the open Interwebbies, but if the NZ rugby administration can't assess that particular threat then they deserve one for free.

If it happens I'd take any of their young and promising inside backs, it's where we have need.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It wont happen, the lure of the AB jumper is too strong.

Look at McKenzie, absolute rock star, has been the difference between the Chiefs winning or losing, amazing boot and all round amazing talent yet he won't get an AB jumper with 1-15 on it unless it is for injury cover, he's the ideal 22/23 for cover and will happily warm the bench rather than risk what is being proposed above.

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 19-05-21 at 08:55.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast