Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Force List 2022 speculation

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd certainly agree that is something that is required, and especially one that understands hitting gaps and weak arms. Just as long as they also understand support, both not running away from it and providing it when necessary, even at the breakdown. If he has got a kick, hopefully they'll also understand how to use it to best effect. The Force kicking was a bit ineffectual in most respects this year, and surely someone at some point is going to take the time to figure out kicking for the 50-22 that isn't just dunting it down the park and hoping for a lucky bounce?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If Blake Ferguson is going to be recruited by the Western Force. There is one thing that really needs to be discussed. There is an old saying that goes "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

What am I getting at?

A Rugby team recruited a Rugby League player before. And had him play Fullback. And as far as I can tell - they never taught him how to Defend at Fullback.

Im talking about Israel Folau.

If we do recruit Blake Ferguson we need to have someone like Matt Burke or Dane Haylett-Petty spend some serious time with Ferguson teaching him everything they know about the Fullback position defensively. The Western Force doesn't score enough tries to be able to give away freebies at the other end of the paddock.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    If Blake Ferguson is going to be recruited by the Western Force. There is one thing that really needs to be discussed. There is an old saying that goes "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

What am I getting at?

A Rugby team recruited a Rugby League player before. And had him play Fullback. And as far as I can tell - they never taught him how to Defend at Fullback.

Im talking about Israel Folau.

If we do recruit Blake Ferguson we need to have someone like Matt Burke or Dane Haylett-Petty spend some serious time with Ferguson teaching him everything they know about the Fullback position defensively. The Western Force doesn't score enough tries to be able to give away freebies at the other end of the paddock.
    I think he'd be on the wing, if he is signed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Transiting View Post
    I think he'd be on the wing, if he is signed.
    My thoughts as well.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I also assumed it would be wing, but X's point would stand. We've had League wingers cross before, and they get exposed on defense and positioning. For all they were thrown straight into the Wallabies, it took both Dell and Tuqiri several years to really figure it out. My recollection of Sailor was that his best year was his last, where he suddenly became a defensive machine. So I would agree, I hope they really focus on any and all deficiencies rather than fudging over then and just taking a 'more good than bad' approach.
    (TBH, a bit like Anstee's comment about passing 15m...if that is seriously how players come into a full time professional contract, no wonder Australian rugby is so far behind!)

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think you bare seeing the whole picture. Reading between the lines, playing is going to be minor part of the role, I believe his main role will be more of a player liaison/recruitment/mentor role.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

If we do recruit Blake Ferguson we need to have someone like Richard Kahui or Dane Haylett-Petty spend some serious time with Ferguson teaching him everything they know about the Fullback position defensively. The Western Force doesn't score enough tries to be able to give away freebies at the other end of the paddock.
    Talking of recruiting outside backs from RL; it would be good to have DHP around, should his cards fall that way, to mentor the likes of Reece Tapine. Also the other "Blake" who played inside Fergo is off contract next year. A good line break/tackle buster who has transitioned from the wing to right center and become an able defender. It would be great to see Waqa Blake back in WA and playing Rugby again.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I don't think you bare seeing the whole picture. Reading between the lines, playing is going to be minor part of the role, I believe his main role will be more of a player liaison/recruitment/mentor role.
    Not sure what sort of mentor he’d make!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Western Force Twitter account saying there will be a player announcement tomorrow. I note that the billboards in the back ground are prominently displayed at a certain South Island ground.

https://twitter.com/westernforce/sta...634914307?s=21

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    We need a 10. A good quality 10. Ferguson is not that player.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Western Force Twitter account saying there will be a player announcement tomorrow. I note that the billboards in the back ground are prominently displayed at a certain South Island ground.

https://twitter.com/westernforce/sta...634914307?s=21
    Yes the billboard background could be a big hint.
    Force are going to keep us speculating and interested by announcing one signing at time. I dont mind that. Gets the Force more media coverage.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Agree I like the way they are doing it. Keeping the interest and anticipation up.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    We need a 10. A good quality 10. Ferguson is not that player.
    If the hints about tomorrow's announcement are on the money, Ferguson would probably be kind of surplus to requirements anyway.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Well looks like the Backline is finalised. That's 16, leaving 19 or 20 positions for the Forwards in the main roster:
    Prior
    McDonald
    Fines-Leleiwasa
    McIntyre
    Kuenzle
    Pasitoa
    Godwin
    Kahui
    Pulu
    Makara
    McGregor
    Strachan
    Mataele
    Ralston
    Lacy
    Tapine

vCash
    Great to see Mateale is two years, gives time to grow and build and possibly attract more players of a similar standing going forward

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast