Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zero scrum game: is it too late to save rugby union?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's interesting, I missed the development officers part of that story.
    I'm pretty sure that was one of the smokescreens they threw up at the time. Was when the ARU stopped the yearly grants, again IIRC.

Ironically, I think it ended up the catalyst to the SS revival.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    There's one line in that long article that is very relevant, the one about pissing money away. But like a lot of things Pulver got it wrong and gave the SS clubs plenty of ammo. IIRC they were wanting the money supposedly for THEM to appoint and run development officers. Had he said we're not handing any more money over for you twats to waste on poaching players, they wouldn't have had a single shot to fire.
    I am more than happy to be proven wrong on this.

And I have said it before.

Shute Shield receives zero dollars from RugbyAU or NSWRU or SubbiesRU.

ALSO

Subbies Rugby has a lot of rules to protect Shute Shield.

Subbies Rugby - is Amature. Subbies can not pay players. Shute Shield is allowed to pay players
    Subbies Rugby cant recruit players from Shute Shield. Subbies Rugby must release players who are selected or want to play in Shute Shield.
    there are others - but they are the big ones.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I am surprised they get nothing from NSWRU, but I suppose if they can afford to pay players all their lower grades and juniors must already have everything they need with money left over.

But I think Shasta's point was that the SS absolutely used to get money from the ARU, as did the Hospitals Cup. Between them, a bit over $2M a year for the best part of a decade and a half. It was actually where most of the RWC windfall went. I'd also note that it was the ARU that paid for development officers in NSW, over and above their members distribution.

vCash
    Correct Andy. Development officers funding was one, among other reasons. To be fair the ARU was doing a woeful job of it. So maybe the clubs could have done better. Particularly in Western Sydney. Who knows? In any event, that (the withdrawal of grants) was the catalyst for anti-ARU feeling and consequently the SS revival in popularity. Unfortunately it also caused many over there to unload on The Force and Rebels as the real reason the game was getting into a parlous financial situation. And we all know how that ended.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I am more than happy to be proven wrong on this.

And I have said it before.

Shute Shield receives zero dollars from RugbyAU or NSWRU or SubbiesRU.
    Mate, they just got $3.7 million from RA to bail out their loss-making broadcast arrangements with 7TWO and streamers to transfer to Stan.

Ironically, that's more the much lambasted ARC got....

Not only that, but ARU were actually paying for said broadcast fees (plus promotion costs) to the tune of $450K a season before that.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    Mate, they just got $3.7 million from RA to bail out their loss-making broadcast arrangements with 7TWO and streamers to transfer to Stan.

Ironically, that's more the much lambasted ARC got....

Not only that, but ARU were actually paying for said broadcast fees (plus promotion costs) to the tune of $450K a season before that.
    The 7Two broadcast was paid for by the SS Clubs.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    At $3.7M, Rugby Australia paid for every cent of the remaining 5 years of the CRTV/Seven deal PLUS every cent of the $300K pa of preceding 5 years, and then some. That doesn't count earlier grants from the ARU and NSWRU.

February 14, 2020:

Shute Shield television ratings crashed 67 per cent over the five years Club Rugby TV and Seven held the broadcast rights to rugby's heartland club competition, the Herald can reveal.

On the same day Rugby Australia's $3.7 million deal to buy back Sydney's club rugby rights was hailed as a "game changer" by club figures, it emerged how poorly the competition was rating on Seven's digital channel 7TWO, its home since the ABC dropped it in 2014.

October 27, 2016:

The ARU, which already has been pressured into giving the Sydney Rugby Union $300,000 to pay for last year’s free-to-air telecast by Seven of the Sydney premiership, now fears it will be asked to come to the party with an additional $500,000 for next year’s coverage. But Fordham insisted that any complaints the national union has should be with the SRU board, not with his company. “The suggestion in The Australian this week that the deal has been a disaster is not only damaging but completely incorrect,” Fordham said.

“One can only assume that those criticising the television deal have directed their aim at the SRU board.”

The rights deal, which extends through to 2025, hinges on the SRU contributing $300,000 per annum.

April 17, 2015:

The NSW Rugby Union has allocated $450,000 to the Sydney Rugby Union, but the SRU has committed $300,000 towards the broadcast cost of the Shute Shield telecast on 7TWO this year.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2