Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where to from here?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Wasn't going to bother saying anything, but have to echo Boof. Said it after the first game, but the team lacks penetration and everyone has worked out the pick and drive. For mine it is all skills...the ball gets shovelled along the line, but always to someone standing flat-footed rather than out in front of the player. They generally then run straight into a tackle, no offload, no real threat of a break. Similar problems with kicking, mauls, etc, etc. Perhaps there is something to the overdrilled idea; the defense certainly is good. But whatever it is, it is a bit galling that nothing seems to change game after game, year after year.

They need to change something. Maybe they should go through all the matches each week, pick the best plays and work on replicating them in training? Over time perhaps some themes might become apparent...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ok, so best play this week was kridrani coming off the long runup

I guess we can do worse, make that number 1 in the playbook

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Wasn't just talking about the Force matches, or even Australian matches....

Veteran
    vCash
    I think the internationals is all about getting the team some game experience, see the waratah for the results of all young 'uns.

Question is, who get replaced out for next year. Maddock seems good at FB, maybe Kearney is off next year, or on the bench.

Maybe it is to allow a slow build up to not need imports over the next 2-3 years. The Taefu should keep his starting spot now, with kahui on the bench.

I'm sure they have thought further than just this year. They needed to be competitive this year, and start the build for the next few years.

We'll get there, don't fret too much!

vCash
    The Wild Hop Brewery in Yallingup has helped me today after watching Manly and then the Force getting hammered.

vCash
    2 points for me.
    Everyone keeps forgetting about where the Force was supposed to get players from to start with. They had determined they wouldn’t ‘raid’ the other franchises, COVID happened, enticing players to the Force back in only the 1st year, and local players (not mentioning those we lost thanks to RA) simply not yet up to the level (which will come). And how can ANY club seriously promise more than 1-2 year contracts at the moment? Kearney & Kahui & Thrush have proven their value, so why be so negative regarding their input. We knew we were in for the long haul, so quit bitching cos there’s no instant success.
    Secondly, the Force had zero ball in the 1st half, Brumbies cleverly outmanoeuvred them, and controlled the game (and yes-help from the ref-1try at least from a forward pass). The second half they got possession & attacked more, but it’s still bit of a worry. I doubt if other teams could’ve held up that many mauls!
    Rant over

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    The Wild Hop Brewery in Yallingup has helped me today after watching Manly and then the Force getting hammered.
    Wanker

Wild Hop is a great place!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Wanker

It's the closest bar to our home and only 4klm away

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    For the record, I don't think the way pathway will be able to generate the volume of talent available to Queensland and therefore doing a classic Brad thorn is out of the question (Phil Mooney also did it with Qld, but didn't survive the number of losses)

We do have a passionate rugby community, desperate for a genuine pathway for the talented boys but it isn't big enough to supply a whole team. In that way, were a bit like the act (apart from them having southern NSW to draw from)

They seem to do ok, with a number of locals in their squad.
    Correct. Over time, though, we can overtake the lvel of the Brumbies local feeder pathway.

But the key word there is 'time'. Great programs like the new schools comp for WA will need to be consistently nourished for 7,8,9,10 years to feed through.

In terms of this year's team itself, I'd say they're performing pretty well to what can be expected and will gain more cohesion as the season plays on.

They fronted up to the Brumbies onslaught for long periods. The Force squad is still outclassed in some areas, most notably in the backs, so further squad replacement and recruitment is still needed. This process is never instant.

Lastly, we really do need proper game time opportunities forthe up-and-coming players. Some sort of NRC or GRR level of competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Wanker

Yup. I'm at the local sports bar watching the cripple fight between the Dogz and Bronx. Both resemble an octegenarion who's lost his blue pills. No penettation.

Dunno why I keep backing up sometimes.
    Least I can head home and watch the Tahs get hammered.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Dunno why I keep backing up sometimes.
    Least I can head home and watch the Tahs get hammered.[/QUOTE]

Now that will make me happier to...

vCash
    So I shouldn’t expect any real success for the next 5 to 10 years then :-(

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    So I shouldn’t expect any real success for the next 5 to 10 years then :-(
    I think that's entirely reasonable if you count success as being a competitive team with a majority of WA juniors.Even the Brumbies struggle to have large numbers of locals in their teams and for the rebels, in their tenth year, after all the money from Aru Ra and Vic government a local product who can genuinely make the squad is a headline.Success can come sooner if we focus on Aussie players regardless of the state they play for, but even then, were limited to the scraps off the table of Qld and nsw

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    It's the closest bar to our home and only 4klm away
    I need to move down south lol.

All the good breweries are down your way.

Champion
    vCash
    Interesting.
    Do I read some "hidden" criticism by Sampson here?

Western Force must regroup after worst Super Rugby defeat of the season before facing Melbourne Rebels
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 27 March 2021 11:10AM

The Western Force’s 42-14 scoreline thumping by defending Super Rugby champions Brumbies tells its own tale.
    But there was an elephant in the room, or inside Canberra’s GIO Stadium on Friday night, that had Force coach Tim Sampson scrambling for answers.
    The penalty count.
    Going into the game the Force were the least penalised side in the competition. The Brumbies were the worst offenders with 52 in four games.
    But by half-time, the Force had been penalised nine times, their average per game this season, and ended with 14 black marks.
    The Brumbies escaped penalty free in the first period but picked up eight after the break as the Force tried to close a 28-point gulf.
    The Force were punished in similar fashion against the Brumbies in the opening round when they were penalised 15 times.
    It may have been player mindset or referee Nic Berry’s interpretation but once a couple of penalties had been given the alarm bells should have been ringing.
    The Force now have a bye, giving time to find an answer before their next game against Melbourne Rebels.
    Sampson does not blame Berry for the defeat but said: “It’s a bit of a head scratcher and something we’ll have to look at because against the Brumbies in Perth we conceded 15 penalties.
    “The penalties killed us.
    “I thought we were pretty hard done by at some scrum penalties but the ones that hurt us were the offsides, high tackles and not rolling away.”
    Penalties aside, the Brumbies showed why they are reigning champions, setting up the win with a powerful first half when they scored four unanswered tries.
    To their credit the Force defended bravely, particularly when down to 14 men after centre Tevita Kuridrani was sin-binned, and after losing playmaker Jake McIntyre and prop Greg Holmes to injury in the first half.
    Both sides scored two tries apiece in the second period.
    “The first-half we didn’t have much possession, we dug in and defended our line for long periods and I thought they did really well,” Sampson said.
    “But the yellow card just ignited the Brumbies.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881832374z

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast