Thread: Not good news

Champion
    vCash

Not good news

Rob Kearney, Richard Kahui lead Western Force injury concerns but Tom Robertson confident against Brumbies

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Mon, 22 March 2021 2:57PM

Western Force have been hit with two big injury blows ahead of Friday’s clash with reigning Super Rugby champions Brumbies in Canberra.
    Irish international full-back Rob Kearney has flown back to Perth for scans on an injured leg while former All Blacks winger Richard Kahui must pass HIA protocols before being cleared to play.
    Kearney, who left the field in the second-half of the 26-19 loss to ladder-leaders Queensland Reds on Saturday, has been a stand-out at the back for the Force with his control and kicking.
    Kahui, who has also brought experience to the backline, was forced from the field early in the first half.
    Coach Tim Sampson has added Jono Lance and Argentinian international flanker Tomas Lezana to the squad.
    Lance can cover full-back or fly-half Jake McIntyre, who was left hobbling in the final seconds against the Reds after being bent backwards in a high tackle.
    Meanwhile Force man-of-the-match prop Tom Robertson said the side was disappointed not to come away with the win.
    They could have sent the game into golden point, pressing the Reds line before the referee found a ruck penalty.
    The forwards were outstanding against the much-vaunted Reds pack.
    The scrum took momentum away from the Reds after they ran up an early 11-point lead and Robertson said they will take that momentum into the Brumbies clash.
    “There were some things that we took out of the game that will hold us in good stead,” Robertson said.
    “The learnings we got from the Reds game, I’m pretty sure we can inject that into the Brumbies game.
    “Our set piece was a lot better, line-out had a pretty good day at the office.
    “The scrum, we were happy, but in saying that we gave a couple of penalties away at crucial times which was a bit disappointing.
    “Against the Brumbies, that’s the foundation you have to bring.
    “They do what they do well, their driving maul, their scrum, their set piece is outstanding. It’s been the best in the Aussie contest for some time.
    “Now we know we can get momentum against a side like the Reds, we’re pretty confident we can get that momentum back.
    “We’ve got a big challenge in the front row, the forwards. It’s going to be tough.
    “The two grand finalists from last year two weekend’s in a row. It’s scary but it’s great to be testing yourself. It’s great to be doing it back-to-back.
    “Cohesion is going to come with games.
    “We’re confident we have got the cattle, now it’s about getting it together.
    “If we can get it together, we can beat very team in the competition.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Oh dear.
    Will be good to see how Lezana goes though..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Oh dear.
    Will be good to see how Lezana goes though..
    At full-back or centres?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    At full-back or centres?
    Sorry I was getting our Argentianian contingent confused! I was hoping we might get to see Miotti if McIntyre is injured but doesn't sound like he is being brought over??

vCash
    I think we'll see McGregor deputising for Kearney and I thought brache did fine on the wing against some genuine firepower so I'd think our depth will cover us.

The challenge with the Brumbies is getting on top of their set piece anyway so I'm not a lot less confident.

I hope to see Fergus step back into the tight 5 and anstee start at 6, that went well the last time we saw it

C'mon the

vCash
    I just want someone fast catching passes out on the wing!

vCash
    Not sure we will ever see Miotti take the field.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Someone please remind me what has happened to Godwin. Is he out long term? Otherwise he would have been perfect replacement.

Brad Lacey has also been prominent in photos with the group at airport etc so he might get a bench spot but only really covers wing.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Someone please remind me what has happened to Godwin. Is he out long term? Otherwise he would have been perfect replacement.

Brad Lacey has also been prominent in photos with the group at airport etc so he might get a bench spot but only really covers wing.
    Godwin broke a bone in his foot at training before the first game. So wont see him for a while still I guess.