Thread: Home Building Society Competition Grand Final - Wests Subiaco vs Nedlands

vCash

Post Home Building Society Competition Grand Final - Wests Subiaco vs Nedlands

Wests Subiaco will attempt to win a fourth consecutive First Grade title when they take on Minor Premiers Nedlands in the Home Building Society Competition Grand Final at Rugby Park, Perry Lakes on Sunday.

Wests have come from fourth position to make the Grand Final, knocking out Associates in the Minor Semi Final and Palmyra in the Preliminary Final on their way to the big game. Well known for exceptional backline play, Wests have made the final on the back of a string of good performances by their forward pack. The victory over Palmyra was an instant classic, as Wests fought back from a 21-12 deficit with five minutes to go before two late tries stole a 22-21 victory.

Nedlands’ road to the Grand Final was somewhat more straightforward. A 30-22 win over Palmyra in the Major Semi Final saw the Minor Premiers advance straight through to the Grand Final with minimal fuss.

Emirates Western Force prop Pek Cowan will start for Nedlands, while Luke Holmes has overcome a calf injury and will start on the bench. Wests will be without the services of their professional players, as Jimmy Hilgendorf (hand) and Angus Scott (knee) have been declared unavailable for this weekend.

The teams have met twice so far, with Nedlands claiming victory on both occasions. The Foreshore side demolished Wests 37-0 in their round one encounter and backed that up with a 29-19 triumph in round 10.

“Wests are a proven team that is capable of getting the result on the day when it's required, as we at Nedlands know well from our experience of the 2004 grand final” Nedlands coach Dave McKnight said.

"They'll be a very tough and dangerous team, a very confident team, and will be hard to beat on the weekend.”

Wests coach Tony Ladbrook was expecting an exciting game as his all-star backline is set to shine.

“We haven’t quite hit our straps this year as we’ve constantly had to reshuffle the team. We’ll be at full strength for the first time this season on Sunday, which seems to happen at Wests. We probably have 10 backs who are capable and ready; we just can’t fit them all in,” Ladbrook said.

“Neddies have a strong forward pack, and we expect a challenge from them. Our pack has been a little underrated this year, but they are performing well.”

The First Grade Grand Final kicks off at 3.30pm on Sunday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Disclaimer: Although the contents of this post are from a RugbyWA News Feed, no RugbyWA staff member or representative actually made this post - the username and avatar are used purely to identify the source of the information.

Apprentice
    vCash

Talking Go Neddies

Well the true force in club rugby has certainly exposed itself this weekend with the MIGHTY NEDDIES rugby club having 5 team out of 9 in the finals, How many will they win ?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Just the two for mine.

vCash
    Are we betting on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eel
    Wests for sure
    Eel is this good for this game too? Another sure winner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forceskin
    Well the true force in club rugby has certainly exposed itself this weekend with the MIGHTY NEDDIES rugby club having 5 team out of 9 in the finals, How many will they win ?
    Nedlands have 9 teams? I think you may need to recount. 1,2,3,5,19's,19's,Womens = 7.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyFan
    Nedlands have 9 teams? I think you may need to recount. 1,2,3,5,19's,19's,Womens = 7.
    Was talking about number of teams in the finals doh !

5 out of 5 for me

vCash
    I get ya... but out of those 9 finals, Nedlands can only have a max of 7. 5/7 sounds better

vCash
    Well that's 1.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    4 to go, reckon you can do it?

How'd the 6th Div FInal go? we got a book on it, and my vFunds are looking a wee bit sad...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Pretty sure Palmyra won. It is going to be a tough task winning 4 tomorrow. My hot tips are Nedlands Gold and Nedlands 2nd grade. The 1st grade is a tough one, as anything can happen and both sides are in red hot form. The Associates Gold side have proved over the last 3 years they are hard to beat, but i think the Nedlands Blue side have it in them to avenge last years heartbreaking final.

There are only 2 things i know for certain, tomorrow is going to be an awesome day, and boy will i be drunk!

Edit: Oh yeah, Coach, my vCash looking crappy at the moment as well. Got a G on Nedlands 1st Grade for the win tomorrow.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Edit: Oh yeah, Coach, my vCash looking crappy at the moment as well. Got a G on Nedlands 1st Grade for the win tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
    RF its looking a large lot sadder now! DMP!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    We all want our team to win, but objectively it was good to see the premierships spread around between the clubs.As far as the first grade preliminary final and final were concerned there was only a point difference in each game between the winning and losing sides,surely a great omen for next year's rivalry and competition.
    Congratulations to Wests on there win.Comiserations to Nedlands.
    2007 season starts tomorrow.