Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tahs v Western Force 5 March 2021

vCash
    Happy to see Stander given the armband.

Don't know if he's much of a talker, but if not he's the definition of a "follow me boys" type skipper. Very much in the Hodgo mold. The tank is completely empty by the time he hits the showers every week. Been my favourite player since Matt retired to the front office.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Happy to see Stander given the armband.

Don't know if he's much of a talker, but if not he's the definition of a "follow me boys" type skipper. Very much in the Hodgo mold. The tank is completely empty by the time he hits the showers every week. Been my favourite player since Matt retired to the front office.
    From afar, he's always looked honest and respectful, I think the refs will appreciate that. as for being vocal on the field, I don't think that's his role during play and to add that unfamiliar voice will confuse the system. I have no doubt that he will be able to deliver messages clearly in the huddle and will make great decisions when penalties are awarded. I think it's a great pick, especially considering how few long term players are available to fill that role this week.

Brynard doesn't talk a lot on the field because he's too busy being an absolute beast!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    How good is it to see "former Western Force Prop Tetera Faulkner" as opposed to
    "Former Waratah Tom Robertson"

Or the one that pisses me off most

"Former Brumby Kyle Godwin"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Hindsight is very easy after the fact.

But now that I see the big picture Brynard Stander should have been First pick as Captain over Ian Prior.

Prior was always going to struggle as being picked in the first 15 considering the recruiting. Whereas Stander is a workhorse whose starting selection was never in doubt.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

But now that I see the big picture Brynard Stander should have been First pick as Captain over Ian Prior.

Prior was always going to struggle as being picked in the first 15 considering the recruiting. Whereas Stander is a workhorse whose starting selection was never in doubt.
    I think Prior can still always be the captain of the Force as a club for media appearances etc. But wont always be in the run on team and thus Stander, Thrush or whoever will be the nominated as the captain on those days. This is no dramatic palace coup in my eyes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

I don't really agree.

Ian is the inspirational beating heart of the Force, a present day Hodgo. I don't think you can find a finer man to be the club captain. Removing that honour based upon the fact that he won't regularly make the run on side is a little disrespectful. I'm sure, if asked, most of the boys and certainly the ones who've been around more than a year will still consider they're playing for stitch, regardless of his matchday attire.

That being said Brynard runs a very close second

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Western Force coach Tim Sampson says players are hungry for breakthrough Super Rugby AU victory

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thu, 4 March 2021 10:24AM

Western Force coach Tim Sampson says his side has fire in the belly and a desperation to notch a first Super Rugby AU win against the Waratahs at Bankwest Stadium tomorrow night.
    There can be no excuses for a loss by the star-studded Force against a ragged Waratahs who have been flogged 41-7 and 61-10 by the Brumbies and Reds.
    Sampson said his side has a point to prove after the disappointing opening round 27-11 loss to the Brumbies.
    “The guys are hungry, I can see it. They are desperate for a win,” Sampson said.
    “We were filthy with that last game. There is fire in the belly.”
    Sampson has made plenty of changes including bringing Argentinian Test star Tomas Cubelli into the starting side, relegating captain and scrum-half Ian Prior to the bench.
    Cubelli, who scored the only Force try late in the game, partners Jake McIntyre in the halves after both made an impact from the bench.
    “There are little changes from week to week that we are very comfortable with,” Sampson said.
    “We had spoken internally with the guys, that we had to change things up from week to week, have confidence in the rotation of players and how we want to play.
    “Ian had a reasonable game in round one.
    “Tomas and Jake train a lot together and that last 20-25 minutes played quite well.
    “Jake is a very experienced fly-half, Super Rugby for Queensland Reds, and has had an outstanding few years playing French top league
    “He can adapt quite well and is a very good communicator.”
    Sampson has also handed starting roles to flanker Tim Anstee and former Chiefs and Brumbies winger Toni Pulu - once labelled the fastest man in Super Rugby.
    But Anstee, a former Australian 7s player, is not far behind in the speed stakes.
    “Tim is very quick across the ground, has a great skill set and great aerial skills,” Sampson said.
    “He adds height at the line-out which is another option for us.
    “Toni adds a point of difference.”
    A pragmatic Prior will be expected to make an impression from the bench.“Everyone wants to start but it’s a long season,” he said.
    “We were disappointed about how we played against the Brumbies. A few of us probably didn’t have our best game.
    “There’s plenty of competition in the squad, that’s been represented in the selections made.
    “It’s a different sort of game that we are going to try and play against the ‘Tahs which is set up with the selections that have been made.”
    Club stalwart, No.8 Brynard Stander, takes over the on-field leadership.
    “I had a couple of chats with him just quietly during the week but he’s got plenty of support out there, experienced guys, he’ll do a great job,” Prior said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I don't really agree.

Ian is the inspirational beating heart of the Force, a present day Hodgo. I don't think you can find a finer man to be the club captain. Removing that honour based upon the fact that he won't regularly make the run on side is a little disrespectful. I'm sure, if asked, most of the boys and certainly the ones who've been around more than a year will still consider they're playing for stitch, regardless of his matchday attire.

That being said Brynard runs a very close second
    Brynard and Kyle Godwin are the two official vice-captains this season. With Kyle out through injury, I imagine Brynard will be on-field captain a few times this season.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Everyone over there hates the Waratahs’: Newsome no stranger to Force-Tahs
    SMH By Sam Phillips

Alex Newsome is no stranger to the hatred for everything NSW which runs deep at the Western Force.

The Force were the club which handed Newsome his start in Super Rugby in 2017 and he was subsequently involved in the club’s final match before the Western Australian side was turfed from the competition.

The Force’s final Super Rugby match was an emotion-charged 40-11 drubbing of the Waratahs which many Western Australians pointed to as proof they deserved to be one of the four Australian Super Rugby clubs in 2018 and beyond.

“Obviously [I was] wearing a different shade of blue but that was quite an emotional time for WA Rugby,” Newsome told the Herald ahead of the Waratahs’ clash with the Force at Bankwest Stadium on Friday.

“They were getting kicked out of the comp and to be honest, everyone over there hates the Waratahs. They associate anything they think might be wrong with Australian rugby and the eastern states with the Waratahs. They’re a really passionate crew and I’m expecting to bring a bit of that [on Friday night].

RELATED ARTICLE
    Simon Cron was the man most likely for the Waratahs before his defection.
    Waratahs
    Former Waratahs assistant is a wanted man, but he’s open to a return to Sydney
    “As a state, they’re pretty isolated, WA. They have a very independent way of thinking. It doesn’t matter who they play. They assume the underdog tag. And they like to think of themselves that way.”

The Force may happily grab the underdog tag but for the first time since they returned to the Super Rugby fold, they will start a match as favourites with bookmakers.

That fact is as much a reflection on the Waratahs as it is the Force, who have not won any of their nine matches in Super Rugby AU.

Starting the match as underdogs will also provide a galvanising force for Newsome and the Waratahs, who must win to ease the intense pressure on coach Rob Penney.

“Last week wasn’t ideal but you have those weeks in sport. As I said earlier, nothing is ever as bad as it seems. Nothing is as ever as good as it seems,” Newsome said.

“We’re just looking to put in a really good performance tomorrow night. We win this week and our season is back on track.

“We’ve got that mentality. Even if we’re going good, no one is reading the papers believing everyone that’s pumping us up. I’ve always believed about just keeping it internal and having that self belief.

“We might have lost a couple games in a row but [Friday] night, we will just be focusing on doing our job as individual players, trying to execute, doing our job and knowing that our mate next to us will do the same.”

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    How churlish of Newsome.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Any tips as to places to watch this (read - sports bar) in the northeast (read Morley)?
    force by 18.
    ~ smiles ~

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    Any tips as to places to watch this (read - sports bar) in the northeast (read Morley)?
    force by 18.
    ~ smiles ~
    Varsity in Morley would be a pretty safe bet I'd think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Varsity in Morley would be a pretty safe bet I'd think
    I was going to suggest this as well as I went to Varsity in Northbridge before the game against the Brumbies and they had the Qld vs NSW game on.

However I think it may have been channel 9 and not Stan so it might be worth a phone call just to be sure.

vCash
    Last I heard they still hadn't sorted that stuff out. I spose the manager could cast Stan from a phone. Probably a legal issue there. Failing that there's always the ABC listen app.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    In the end the sweetheart looked at me and said "We should just get Stans' free trial".
    So that's what we've done.
    I'm impressed with the knowledge the league lass has of the game.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast