Thread: Twiggy’s 10 commandments: Billionaire Andrew Forrest revs up Western Force ahead of S

Champion
    vCash

Twiggy’s 10 commandments: Billionaire Andrew Forrest revs up Western Force ahead of S

Nothing like a bit of pressure then. Can we do it? Yes we can!

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

New Western Force chief executive Tony Lewis has been handed 10 commandments from billionaire owner Andrew Forrest to produce the best club in world rugby.

It comes as Forrest gave the Force a fire-up speech on the eve of their Super Rugby return, imploring them to be “a team that knits itself together in the love for each other”.

WATCH THE SPEECH IN THE PLAYER ABOVE

Lewis revealed the mining magnate had written 10 key objectives into his contract.

“It’s one of the best contracts I’ve ever signed,” said Lewis who joined the Force from Tasman Mako after building them into a NZ provincial powerhouse, culminating in back-to-back provincial premierships.

“In essence, no real job description just 10 points and from my perspective, that’s what he wants, that’s what we’ve got to achieve.

“This is what we want from you, this is what we need from you, these are the values that he talks about so that’s pretty clear.

“Here’s 10 things ...and “not limited to” I think were the words.

“The key ones are strong community base, best team in Australia, best team in the Australia-New Zealand conference, best team in the southern hemisphere, best club team in the world.

“We’ve got to know our place in the ecosystem here and quietly go about our business and become the No.1 rugby state in Australia and move onto the next.”

Forrest also expects the club to be standing on its own feet financially within three years.

“Financially sustainable, that’s there,” said Lewis who stepped out of 14-day quarantine on Wednesday.

The contract did not end with Forrest’s infamous ‘MIH’— Make It Happen.

“But we will,” Lewis said.

Forrest addressed his troops at HBF Stadium, urging them to become a “champion team”.

“How you play on the field will reflect your character, your inner strength, your determination, your love for each other, your care, your selflessness, your generosity of giving to others, your raw courage,” he said.

“I think you are going to blast into it.

“I’m so delighted with the level of talent, I’m delighted to see the character and warmth in your own faces and to say to all of you who are new, you are part of this family. You are part of who we are now.

“I don’t want a champion on the team, I don’t even want a team of champions.

“What I want is a champion team, a team that knits itself together in the love for each other.

“That is all I will be looking for, that you have done your best, in your character, your physicality, your training, most of all your deep care and love for each other.”

And some more here

Western Force finally out of exile and ready to match it with the best of Super Rugby
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

The long wait in exile is over for the Western Force.

They launch their new Australian Super Rugby campaign tomorrow night with their first home game in 1316 days against reigning champions Brumbies at HBF Park.

And they are determined to prove wrong the doubters and cynics who said they would not make it back to the big time.

The Force were saved from extinction by billionaire Andrew Forrest after being controversially dumped by Rugby Australia four years ago.

They finished without a win in last season’s hastily convened Australian tournament after having to scramble to be ready at short notice.

But Forrest has now set some lofty targets, including becoming the best club in world rugby and self sufficiency within three years.

Captain Ian Prior returned to the club when Forrest - who spoke privately to players before the final training session - announced his plans for Global Rapid Rugby that was cancelled when COVID hit.

The scrum-half said it had been an emotional build-up to the game.

“It’s been a long hard journey to earn respect,” he said.

“We were basically a start-up, some people wrote us off, said this will fizzle out, won’t happen, but the group, players staff and rugby community were really galvanised

“We weren’t going anywhere without a fight

“Thankfully with the support of Andrew and Nicola Forrest and their vision we’re here today.

“He came on the field 1316 days ago, said he was going to get in the trenches with us and be leading from the front.

“We’ve always been a competitive team, haven’t quite made it there or thereabouts in terms of finals, and that’s been a goal that pushed us along the way.

“Every team says that every year. It’s about putting words into action.

“This year we knew what was coming, we’ve been preparing our game to suit the style we want to play and to suit Super Rugby standards.”

Prior expects a physical clash with the Brumbies.

“Very fast, very ferocious, particularly around the contact area, something they pride themselves on but we’re well prepared,” he said.

Prior welcomed new laws that include a set piece clock, quicker ball at the breakdown and kicking variations, all designed to speed-up the game and keep ball in play longer.

“It’s going to be frantic out there,” he said.

“I feel sorry for the piggies (forwards). Those big fellas are going to be blowing.

“But having great depth in our squad allows players to really empty the tank and our finishers come on and finish the game.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Nothing like a bit of pressure then. Can we do it? Yes we can!

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

New Western Force chief executive Tony Lewis has been handed 10 commandments from billionaire owner Andrew Forrest to produce the best club in world rugby.

It comes as Forrest gave the Force a fire-up speech on the eve of their Super Rugby return, imploring them to be “a team that knits itself together in the love for each other”.

WATCH THE SPEECH IN THE PLAYER ABOVE

Lewis revealed the mining magnate had written 10 key objectives into his contract.

“It’s one of the best contracts I’ve ever signed,”
    Can anyone help me get a view of that speech. Please?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco