Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force vs Brumbies SRAU R1

vCash
    For mine I thought they played well but seemed to play with more intensity in the trial game? Lots of improvement ie Setpiece from last week, but there were a lot of missed tackles especially on the wings, Force seemed to allow the Brums a lot of space when they were on the attack. I also reckon there was a bit too much faffin around with inside passes back and forth when direct running as we saw with Cubelli’s try & from then on was better. Wish they’d played like that in the rest of the game. Still think we’re lacking a bit of grunt at the breakdown, but the forwards worked their arses off. Tim & coaches must be despairing of the work to do and we’re all disappointed, but its only game one and a long road ahead. They’ll only get better, and has been said our team is back playing!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Spartan would not be be impressed,slow cooked!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Bloody refs always favoring the eastern sta.........oh...err as you were.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Well done Sea of Blue, we could hear the crowd on the TV every time the force got the ball, no other crowd like it. Wish we could have been there.

And the channel 9 Commentary was top notch, not once did I want to throw something at the TV because of some stupid Greg Clarke catch phrase or Kearns bias. Harrison was insightful, Swain led the call well and even Mitchell contributed good comments. Thought it was informative, balanced with appropriate criticism/congratulations of the play. And the half time analysis was actually useful even Chieka.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DazloT; 21-02-21 at 08:01.

Champion
    vCash
    Coach Tim Sampson bemoans whistle-happy referee but Western Force their own worst enemy with error count

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 20 February 2021 1:25PM

Western Force coach Tim Sampson was sick of hearing the referee’s whistle as the Brumbies gatecrashed his side’s long-awaited Super Rugby homecoming.

Sampson stopped short of blaming local official Graham Cooper for Friday night’s disappointing 27-11 loss in a stop-start affair at HBF Park — but he was clearly not happy.

The Brumbies won the penalty count 10-6 in the first-half while the second-half brought a remarkable turnaround — nine penalties against the Brumbies while the Force were penalised just three times.

“We heard a lot of the referee’s whistle,” Sampson said.

“He was pretty whistle-happy. First half we were up against it (the penalty count).

“We’re trying our best to play good footy and that’s been the focus in the off-season with the officials.

“Two teams that like to play fast footy and a nice attacking style, 16 penalties in 40 (first-half) minutes of footy; (it’s) not great viewing.

“We spoke about how critical it was not to give away cheap penalties. We gave away some freebies.

“We showed pretty good signs but against a good team like that, you can’t be giving that many penalties.

“We just couldn’t get into our groove. Not good enough. We can be a lot better.”

The Force opened in great fashion but could not turn possession into points and went in 13-6 down at the break.

The Brumbies extended the lead to 21 points before scrum-half Tomas Cubelli scored late in the game to rob them of a bonus point.

“The refereeing at the breakdown...it’s the way the game seems to be going at the moment,” Force’s Irish international full-back Rob Kearney said.

“You are never going to win a game if you give the opposition that many penalties.

“Some of our maul attack close to the line was a bit inaccurate, our set piece close to their line needs to be a little better.

“Had we sorted a few of those things out it could have been a much tighter game.

“That first 15-20 minutes we had so much possession, we were just never able to capitalise on the scoreboard.”

The Force did not help their cause, conceding 15 turnovers and losing eight mauls with just one clean line break.

But there was a positive with the Force winning 121 rucks — 41 more than the Brumbies.

Even captain Ian Prior conceded the Force were their own worst enemy.

“We just weren’t clinical enough,” he said.

“They put us under pressure in different parts of the field and we didn’t respond to it. We should have been better.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881801909z

vCash
    Kearney-dead right! The Brumbies lost a man & lifted, and the Force kept playing at the same tempo. Really don’t think leadership was very good on the night, and when Prior goes off who is captain? We have good individual players - need to start playing as a unit, with more focus.

Champion
    vCash
    I was emotionally down after Friday night at the game live. But I stayed off the web and Stan on Saturday, and watched the game on Sunday morning in a more un-emotional way.
    There are a lot of positives. Rob Kearney really does look high quality very skilled fullback. Take out a few silly penalties and the Force were very competitive in all areas with last years champions.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    Well done Sea of Blue, we could hear the crowd on the TV every time the force got the ball, no other crowd like it. Wish we could have been there.

And the channel 9 Commentary was top notch, not once did I want to throw something at the TV because of some stupid Greg Clarke catch phrase or Kearns bias. Harrison was insightful, Swain led the call well and even Mitchell contributed good comments. Thought it was informative, balanced with appropriate criticism/congratulations of the play. And the half time analysis was actually useful even Chieka.
    Have to agree with you. I have just watched it again and I was pleasantly surprised by the presentation. So glad Swain wasn't doing his old gushing over the top stuff. And even Mitchell was better than before.
    The quality of the streaming was pretty good too

Champion
    vCash
    Anybody else think the Nic White pass for the first try was forward. Just watched it again and look a bit dodgy to me. Surprised Cooper didn't ask for a look. What am I saying. No I'm not!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Harvey Norman Super Rugby AU Team of the Week for Round 1
    TODAY AT 1:32 PM SUPER RUGBY - AU
    Play Video

by RUGBY.com.au staff
    Round one of Harvey Norman Super Rugby AU kicked off with a bang.

The Reds blitzed the Waratahs while the Brumbies took their chances against a much-improved Force side.

Pre-register for Stan Sport now to watch every minute of Super Rugby AU. The new add-on Sport package is available for just $10 a month with customers able to get a 30-day free trial for a limited time only.

But who stood out?

Here's our team of the week.

1: Tom Robertson – Western Force

The prop doctor shifted west in the off-season and didn’t let his new side down with a true workman-like performance at HBF Park. Opposite number James Slipper was strong too but a yellow card for repeat infringements put the Brumbeis under pressure late in the piece.

2: Alex Mafi - Reds

How did he score that try? Mafi showed great hands and even better athleticism for a big boy as he picked the ball up around his ankles, spun and planted it over the line as he ended up on his back.

The Reds lineout has been its Achilles heel though and Mafi will want to tidy up the five throws lost (75% success rate).

Play Video
    3: Taniela Tupou - Reds

Off the bench but a one-man wrecking ball.

Tupou was injected at half-time at immediately tore through the Tahs. One tighthead scrum turnover was all Tupou as he churned through the NSW pack, five metres from his own line. Will Thorn start him next week?

4: Cadeyrn Neville - Brumbies

An absolute pest.

Neville has his eyes on Wallaby Gold and with a few more performances like Friday night, he will get there. Neville disrupted the Force set piece all night, but contribution didn’t end there. Very close to being Player of the Round.

5: Seru Uru - Reds

Where’d this guy come from??

80 minutes in the Reds second row for a man that many thought was a backrower. Ten carries, two clean breaks and offloads galore – Uru is one to watch!

Play Video
    6: Rob Valetini - Brumbies

The type of performance we now expect from the now 22-year old. So close to player of the match in the west, and not just for his work in attack but his defensive presence as well. More please!

7: Carlo Tizzano - Waratahs

This will be a contentious one but Tizzano was everywhere man on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium. 25 tackles and some turnovers to boot – Tizzano never gave up in his 80-minute shift.

Opposite number Fraser McReight unlucky to miss out. He was immense for Queensland.

8: Brynard Stander – Western Force

Stander beat off a number of other strong performances around the comp to grab the honour. The big number 8 showed why Dave Rennie invited him to a wider Wallabies training squad last year.

He’s abrasive, and a key player in the Force attack and defence. Tim Sampson will want another big year from Brynard.

9: Nic White - Brumbies

There was some great half-time analysis by the Stan Sport team, showing how Nic White picked apart the Force defence. His partnership with Noah Lolesio is getting better and better and White won’t be resting on his laurels, with so much strength at halfback around the comp.

Tate McDermott played a blinder in Brisbane for a notable mention – as did Force recruit Tomas Cubelli off the bench in Perth.

READ MORE

SUPER WIN: Reds blitz Tahs but what did we learn?

CARTER CALLS TIME: We look back over his career highlights

FIVE THINGS: What we learned from Force vs Brumbies

10: James O’Connor - Reds

Who would have thought this evolution would be possible two years ago?

JOC was faultless in his captaincy debut, contributing 16 points off the tee as well as a couple of try assists. Those who doubted he was a top shelf flyhalf are now oddly quiet..

11: Filipo Daugunu - Reds

Two tries, 100 metres made from 10 carries, three clean breaks, six defenders beaten – but just another night in the office for the Reds dynamite winger.

12: Irae Simone - Brumbies

Irae Simone and his centre partner Len Ikitau are both in the team of the week after standout combination on Friday night. Simone got over for a try (thanks to Ikitau) and was a second playmaker option for Noah Lolesio all game too.

13: Len Ikitau - Brumbies

There have been huge wraps on the kid after Wallabies coach Dave Rennie picked him from nowhere last year, and finally we got to see Ikitau in full flight.

He was dynamic and powerful against the Force, beating four defenders, offloading after contact and proving more than a handful for opposite number – and Test veteran – Tevita Kuridrani. Outside centre could become a headache for Rennie longterm..

Play Video
    14: Jordan Petaia - Reds

A quiet night by his now outrageous standards but Jordan Petaia was still ruthless against the Tahs. What’s more pleasing is his defensive work, which is much improved. You don’t want to see the Reds number 14 lining you up when you have the ball in hand..

15: Rob Kearney – Western Force

All eyes were on the Irish import, and he lived up to the billing.
    https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2021/0...am-of-the-week

Rob Kearney was a steady hand for the Force against the Brumbies with touches of quality across the 80 minutes. Stan Sport had mic’d him up during the game and we had a sneak peak of his contribution, with Kearney already a key voice in the Force backline. Age is just a number, and class is forever obviously!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Anybody else think the Nic White pass for the first try was forward. Just watched it again and look a bit dodgy to me. Surprised Cooper didn't ask for a look. What am I saying. No I'm not!
    yeah, i thought it was forward when looking at the replay...

Player
    vCash
    I was the same as Sampson in being sick of hearing the ref whistle. Im not sure if that’s the ref fault or ill discipline by the teams. Might have been a directive to use free kick to reduce resets and keep the play moving Didn’t think the ref was too bad though.

Interesting Robertson in team of week I remember him getting pinged a few times in the scrum.

I was frustrated after the game but always going to take some time to gel. The brumbies team is pretty close to same team as last season. I’m not sold on Lance, he made too many errors last season. Miotti surely needs to be used.

Do we have a separate attack coach?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I said so at the ground. Watched the replay and thought it was good. Great piece of deception really.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast