Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Folau to sign with the Red V

vCash

Folau to sign with the Red V

Should make Jargs' day - or not.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/israel-folau-on-the-verge-of-nrl-return-as-dragons-submit-application-for-two-year-deal-20210202-p56yps.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    We lose our best player and we're chasing Israel folau.

Whoever is doing the recruitment for the Dragons needs to be put in lockdown.

vCash
    Doesn't mention it in the article, but I get the impression that you blokes lost both McInnes and Frizzell partly due to the non-performance of too many high profile "team mates". Especially while Mary's head was on the block.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Watch them extend Ben Hunt and Corey Norman.

Lockdown won't kill me but the Dragons recruitment team might.

vCash
    You're spot on there Jargs

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    What happened to the NRL announcing that Foloau was not welcome back in League?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Statute of limitations in sport is roughly about a year.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Paul McGregor re McInnes leaving for Cronulla:

"He is a leader that demonstrates and reinforces what is acceptable and unacceptable in an organisation. His behaviour and standards are professional. Cameron refuses to lower his own standards to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs."

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

St George Illawarra Dragons withdraw interest in Israel Folau following backlash

The St George Illawarra Dragons have withdrawn their interest in signing controversial cross-code footballer Israel Folau following heavy backlash.

In a bombshell report, it was revealed on Tuesday morning that the Dragons had made a major move to recruit Folau back into the NRL.

The Dragons board had reportedly given the green light to go ahead with plans to recruit Folau, who would likely play in the centres if a contract was ratified.

The club inevitably faced a tsunami of criticism, and the Dragons have quickly backflipped on the decision following their extraordinary general meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

“While the Dragons did enquire about signing Folau, the club can confirm that such discussions have now ceased,” the club confirmed in a statement.

According to NewsCorp, there was some sponsor and fan backlash after the club made it known they wanted to sign the former Wallaby.

The 31-year-old’s return to the NRL now appears to be dead in the water, but he is reportedly eager to explore other opportunities in the league, according to NewsCorp.

Folau signed a contract extension with the Catalans Dragons last year, and is expected to represent the Super League club in 2021.

He hasn’t played in the NRL since leaving the Broncos in 2010 and in 2019 had his contract with Rugby Australia torn up for making homophobic comments on social media, bringing an end to his illustrious Wallabies career.

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter V’landys has previously said Folau’s views on homosexuality were not welcome in the NRL.

“The game is inclusive. Israel’s comments are not inclusive,” V’landys said in October 2019.

“When I was a kid and kids used to get bashed up because they were different, I used to go and defend them. And a lot of them, it’s because their role models or their peers made them that way.

“I have no tolerance for people that put other people’s lives (at risk) or (who commit) violence. It’s a big statement to make. With due respect to Israel, what he says, young kids listen to. He is a role model. They act on it. And when you’re a kid at school and you get bashed up because you’re different, I don’t think that’s a good thing.”

from news.com.au

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Paul McGregor re McInnes leaving for Cronulla:

"He is a leader that demonstrates and reinforces what is acceptable and unacceptable in an organisation. His behaviour and standards are professional. Cameron refuses to lower his own standards to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs."
    McInnes went because the scum offered him a long term deal (4 years) and apparently all we'd offer was 2 years.

We should have offered him the CEO's role to keep him ffs.

Also Mary's bald therefore his opinion doesn't count.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    The St George Illawarra Dragons have withdrawn their interest in signing controversial cross-code footballer Israel Folau following heavy backlash.

In a bombshell report, it was revealed on Tuesday morning that the Dragons had made a major move to recruit Folau back into the NRL.

The Dragons board had reportedly given the green light to go ahead with plans to recruit Folau, who would likely play in the centres if a contract was ratified.

The club inevitably faced a tsunami of criticism, and the Dragons have quickly backflipped on the decision following their extraordinary general meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

“While the Dragons did enquire about signing Folau, the club can confirm that such discussions have now ceased,” the club confirmed in a statement.

According to NewsCorp, there was some sponsor and fan backlash after the club made it known they wanted to sign the former Wallaby.

The 31-year-old’s return to the NRL now appears to be dead in the water, but he is reportedly eager to explore other opportunities in the league, according to NewsCorp.

Folau signed a contract extension with the Catalans Dragons last year, and is expected to represent the Super League club in 2021.

He hasn’t played in the NRL since leaving the Broncos in 2010 and in 2019 had his contract with Rugby Australia torn up for making homophobic comments on social media, bringing an end to his illustrious Wallabies career.

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter V’landys has previously said Folau’s views on homosexuality were not welcome in the NRL.

“The game is inclusive. Israel’s comments are not inclusive,” V’landys said in October 2019.

“When I was a kid and kids used to get bashed up because they were different, I used to go and defend them. And a lot of them, it’s because their role models or their peers made them that way.

“I have no tolerance for people that put other people’s lives (at risk) or (who commit) violence. It’s a big statement to make. With due respect to Israel, what he says, young kids listen to. He is a role model. They act on it. And when you’re a kid at school and you get bashed up because you’re different, I don’t think that’s a good thing.”

from news.com.au
    Good riddance.

I'd rather support a basket case that just let our best player go than support a team with Folau in it. He'd just bring baggage that's not needed.

vCash
    This bloke was prepared to take the ARU to the brink of insolvency rather than sign a contract with conditions. Gets the money.Then promptly accepts those conditions at Catalans and is prepared to do the same at Saints. Obviously he wants to play and doesn't really need the money. I hope he never gets another game.

vCash
    I hope he’s never allowed back into Australia.

vCash
    Pretty sure it's illegal to keep him out as an Australian citizen.

vCash
    Pretty difficult since he's already here too.
    He's also breaking his contract with Catalans and they are demanding a transfer fee.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast