Thread: Western Force flanker Tim Anstee takes unusual road to Super Rugby career

Champion
    vCash

Western Force flanker Tim Anstee takes unusual road to Super Rugby career

Western Force flanker Tim Anstee takes unusual road to Super Rugby career
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sat, 23 January 2021 3:46PM

Western Force flanker Tim Anstee’s journey to Super Rugby has been an unusual one — with fate playing a hand along the way.
    The move from the Australian Sevens program will see him miss out on the rebooted Tokyo Olympics.
    But he has no regrets.
    Anstee, pictured, spent four years on the international circuit, making the jump from the 15s game after playing for Sydney side Eastwood.
    When COVID-19 forced the cancellation of the Olympics he went back to Eastwood and Force coach Tim Sampson invited him to train with the side as they prepared for their Australian Super Rugby return.
    Soon after he took up a two-year deal with the Force.
    “I knew I would potentially be giving up that Olympic spot but it was a decision I had to make,” the 23-year-old said.
    “There might be a small chance of playing if it works out timing wise, but ultimately I’m committed to the Force and 15s is my focus.
    “There was a bit too much uncertainty as to whether the Games will go ahead and they are not playing any tournaments at the moment.
    “It was the right time and I’m excited about what is happening at the Force.”
    Anstee, 194cms and 103kg, made a spectacular international debut in the 2017 Sydney Sevens tournament, scoring three tries in three minutes, and will need to adapt different skills to the 15s game.
    “I haven’t found it too bad but it’s not as if I’m going to slot in seamlessly,” he said.
    “There are different skills to integrate. There’s a lot of learning but the transition has been pretty smooth.
    “The biggest thing is there is more strategy involved in the 15s game, line-outs, set piece and so forth that you have to get your head around.
    “There’s a lot more contact involved. I probably need to put on a few more kilos and get used to that element.
    “In Sevens contact is more one-on-one, the work rate is different, you have to be able to pass 15 metres but it’s still rugby union. There’s a few more people on the field, same sort of principles.”
    Sampson will adapt the swift, wide style of Global Rapid games into the more controlled Super Rugby with Anstee pushing for the No.6 jumper.
    “What attracted me is that Tim likes to play that attacking game and to spread the ball wide if it’s on,” Anstee said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    “ you have to be able to pass 15 metres, 194cms and 103kg”
    Probably have to put a few kegs on but some speed and ability to do some long passes could be a bloody good card to have in the pack.

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    “ you have to be able to pass 15 metres, 194cms and 103kg”
    Probably have to put a few kegs on but some speed and ability to do some long passes could be a bloody good card to have in the pack.
    Says that himself.
    "I probably need to put on a few more kilos"

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I cant see Tim’s name on the 7’s team sheet for the Tokyo squad named today.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    I cant see Tim’s name on the 7’s team sheet for the Tokyo squad named today.
    Correct

Western Force flanker Tim Anstee’s journey to Super Rugby has been an unusual one — with fate playing a hand along the way.
    The move from the Australian Sevens program will see him miss out on the rebooted Tokyo Olympics.
    But he has no regrets.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Correct

But he has no regrets.
    Thanks TIF

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!