Thread: HBF Park Capacity

Rookie
    vCash

HBF Park Capacity

Surely the Force have the same problem as the Glory? Does this mean our games are likely to sell out? Phase 5 doesn't look like happening any time soon.

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage says $1.5 million loss could force home ground move to Dorrien Gardens

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Fri, 22 January 2021 12:39PM

Glory owner Tony Sage celebrates winning the round one A-League match between the Perth Glory and the Brisbane Roar at Patersons Stadium on October 7, 2012 in Perth. Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage claims he will lose $1.5 million if seating restrictions are not eased at HBF Park for the A-League season.

Sage claims he is investigating a move away from the VenuesWest run stadium if rental costs are not cut and more corporate and members seating is made available to ease his financial burden

The stadium capacity was reduced to 10,000 under COVID-19 rules for Glory’s season opening 5-3 win against Adelaide United on Wednesday night. The club average is about 9000 a season.

Sage claimed 9125 attended the Adelaide game but it is understood the official figure was about 3000 under that figure.

Sage said he has been hardest hit by the loss of corporate and members seating.

Spectators look on before the start of the A-League match between the Perth Glory and Adelaide United at HBF Park, on January 20. Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Memberships are down from from 10,000 to 4000 but many of those have not been bought because of the uncertainty surrounding the season or not wanting to move to the new eastern stand.

“I was down $1.5 million before we even kicked a ball,” he said.

“They’ve reduced the capacity by half and they still want to charge me $100,000 a game.

“I lost about $70,000 on that game. It’s ridiculous. They are going to drive Perth Glory further into the red.

“It’s in the red already, everyone knows that, but my loss now becomes $4 million this year.

“We want more flexibility.”

Sage said a move to Dorrien Gardens was an option but it is understood infrastructure including lighting would not meet A-League requirements and the ground does not have the same corporate facilities.

The capacity of the 4000 ground would also have to be halved.

However Sge is undeterred.

“I’d have to refund some members but it’s only $2000 for the hire. It doesn’t matter that there are no real corporate facilities. I can only use half of what I want now anyway,” he said.

VenuesWest have been contacted for comment.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-g...ng-b881776396z

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Does seem tough if the rent of the ground is unchanged but they don't let you bring in as many people, which is what you make your money from.

However, if the maximum capacity is 10,000 and the Glory only sell 9,125 anyway, what's the issue? Wouldn't that mean he's not lost any income?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    There's an update to the story in The West.
    Sounds like Sage is trying it on because VenuesWest reduced his costs.
    But still only 10,000 at this stage.

In a statement to The West Australian, a VenuesWest spokesperson disputed some of Sage’s cost claims.
    “VenuesWest has modified the agreement this year with Perth Glory to reduce its venue hire costs,” the spokesperson said.
    “Instead of having a minimum charge of $34,000 for any crowd up to 10,000 people, the charge has been reduced to $3.40 per person.
    “For a smaller crowd like that seen on Wednesday night, this will mean a substantial reduction in the licence fee. The Public Transport Authority has also waived their match day fee for this season, providing a substantial cost saving for the club.
    “The majority of the cost Tony Sage is referring to is the direct cost from service providers for operating the event. Costs like customer service staff, security and first aid.
    “The safety of all patrons visiting our venue is our highest priority and we are consistently reviewing our operations to ensure we are adhering to all mandated capacity limits under Phase 4 of the State Government’s COVID-19 WA roadmap.”
    The spokesperson confirmed HBF Park was operating at 50 per cent capacity, but said safety was at the forefront of the decision.
    “Under Phase 4 restrictions, HBF Park (as with Optus Stadium and RAC Arena) can operate at 50 per cent capacity, bringing its current capacity to 10,150,” the spokesperson said.
    “Effectively this reduces capacity throughout the venue including the Shed and seated rows, which includes member and open boxes and the management of such is part of the venue’s COVID Safe Plan.
    “In enclosed areas such as suites, all capacities are based on 1 person per 2 square metres as per the directions application to HBF Park and within the venue’s overall capacity.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the crowd was only 6125, according to the stadium scoreboard.
    only every other seat row was used.
    if he wants to move to dorrien gardens, there probably would be about 3500 membership refund applications (mine included).
    i reckon it's bullshit by sage.
    as for the lighting at dorrien, i've already been to a glory night match there, so it must be ok?
    $3.40 x 6125 is less than $21k for wednesdays game.

cider my arse

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Can someone educate me please?

Who is Tony Sage?

Where is his money from?

Whats he worth?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Can someone educate me please?

Who is Tony Sage?

Where is his money from?

Whats he worth?
    Tony Sage is the owner of the Perth Glory. He's an entrepreneur who made his money from buying companies, usually in the mining sector (sometimes mine sites), asset stripping them and flogging the bits for profit; sometimes performing legal (but dubious) accounting techniques to flip debt to equity. The sort of businessman who, if successful, is known as a pillar of the business community, and who if unsuccessful is known as a crook!

His current net worth is anybody's guess as he seems deliberately slippery on the figure (his company seems to be worth ~$15-$20 million, based on share issue and price (~2 billion shares at <$0.01); he claims to have spent $30-$35 million on the Perth Glory.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Nobody should be surprised at Sage trying take the piss. He's got a rap sheet a mile long for it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Tony Sage is the owner of the Perth Glory. He's an entrepreneur who made his money from buying companies, usually in the mining sector (sometimes mine sites), asset stripping them and flogging the bits for profit; sometimes performing legal (but dubious) accounting techniques to flip debt to equity. The sort of businessman who, if successful, is known as a pillar of the business community, and who if unsuccessful is known as a crook!

His current net worth is anybody's guess as he seems deliberately slippery on the figure (his company seems to be worth ~$15-$20 million, based on share issue and price (~2 billion shares at <$0.01); he claims to have spent $30-$35 million on the Perth Glory.
    Thank you Sheikh. Appreciate it mate.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco