Thread: Fine words from Hodgo

Champion
    vCash

Fine words from Hodgo

Western Force legend Matt Hodgson defends the club’s overseas recruitment spree as it launches a new academy
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Thu, 28 January 2021 4:30PM

Western Force legend Matt Hodgson has defended the club’s recruitment drive into overseas markets, saying they had deliberately not stripped talent from rival Australian sides.

Hodgson, now Force head of rugby, said the announcement of the new Fortescue Force academy proved they were planning for the long term with local talent.

The Force have four Argentinian internationals, Tomas Cubelli, Tomas Lezana, Santiago Medrano and Domingo Miotti, legendary Irish full-back Rob Kearney and two former All Blacks in the squad for the Australian Super Rugby and trans-Tasman tournaments.

Critics say they should have brought in more Australian talent, but the former Force captain and record appearance holder, said: “What we didn’t want to do was go in and drain every single club.

“We didn’t want to create an imbalance in the squads. If we go into the player market pretty hard and heavy then we diminish a lot of things.

“We had a balanced approach and worked closely with Rugby Australia on returning Wallabies, Wallabies that possibly were leaving to go overseas, but also players that weren’t getting any game time in their current clubs.

“We’ve brought in a lot of experience, players with international and Super Rugby experience and depth, and players that are raw and passionate.”

Hodgson said having overseas players fill crucial spots was both a playing and commercial decision.

“No other club would have had the opportunity to bring in four internationals from Argentina,” he said.

“I know a few other Super teams are doing the same including bringing in players from New Zealand.

“Australia does have the talent, it’s the way we should approach it moving forward.

“You want to give the opportunity to young up and coming Australians.”

Hodgson scoffed at bookies that have the Force finishing bottom of the Super competition.

“If we named 30 Wallabies in our squad we’d still be bottom on the betting market,” he said.

“It’s a surprise because no-one from the outside looks in on us until game one.

“People will be surprised how many game we will win and the style of game.

“We’re pretty excited about what we’ve done already in a short period.”

Hodgson said unlike 12 months ago he could not name the likely squad for next month’s opening game against the Brumbies.

“We are able to play a different game plan based on a number of different players we have,” he said.

Launching the new academy backed by billionaire Andrew Forrest’s Fortescue Metals Group, Hodgson said: “It’s a massive step for us, bringing the academy under the Western Force again.

“We’re growing the game again, building from the ground up, a true pathway and an alignment is inspirational.

“We need to put the time and effort into these players now to get the rewards down the track.”

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wholetruth; 28-01-21 at 18:04.

vCash
    He's right, I for one am surprised we didn't go out on even more of an overseas spending spree. I don't mind the Western Force being a mixture of foreigners and Western Australians at all. As a matter of fact, of we did sign more Aussies, I'd like to see them bring more Western Australians back. I'd love to see Curtis Rona and Chance Peni or the Haylett-Pettys make a return

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I'd like to see them bring more Western Australians back. I'd love to see Curtis Rona and Chance Peni or the Haylett-Pettys make a return
    Agreed, but only if they are an improvement on what we currently have. After last season, and with all the comments regarding the Force finishing last again, the aim should be win first.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgo
    People will be surprised how many game we will win and the style of game.
    We are most despised outsiders with Neds and the NSWTAB - with our boys 10-1 and the Rabble @ 6-1.
    Sportsbet have both @ 9-1
    Ravi (as usual) has no V-gonads and has posted the most miserable quote of 8-1 the Force to win.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Agreed, but only if they are an improvement on what we currently have. After last season, and with all the comments regarding the Force finishing last again, the aim should be win first.
    For my money Chance Peni would be the one. He really didn't get any development at all once he left WA and he showed quite a bit of potential.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    I would hope that in coming seasons we can lure some overseas Oz boys back into the fold (Arnold bros spring to mind )plus a few that were lured away and have had 0 opportunity..... having shown great potential at the Force .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yes Like Zack Holmes & Chance Peni. Chance never really hit his stride while he was here with bad luck injuries & suspensions, but he is a dynamic player.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!