Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stan Sport settles on price

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooked View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't see the value here? $20 a month for 2 or 3 matches assuming I go to the local games and get some Force games on FTA
    But it's all over in 3 months, so $60 total cost... $60 means different things to different people, but as I already have Stan, $30 is an easy one to get past the minister for war and finance

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Stan basic is only SD for $10/mth; you have to pay $14/mth for the next level which gives you Stan HD. I wonder whether this means that Stan Sport is only in SD, or if the Sport is in HD and you get it with the standard SD package, or if you pay the extra $4/mth you can get the Sport in HD.
    The other option is to prepare the content in HD and transcode it for basic customers, so you could have Stan Sport in SD for $20 or HD for $24

Only a dollar cheaper than Kayo, and Kayo has a lot more sport, but after a year on Kayo I discovered that the only thing I watched regularly was the rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Am I the only one who doesn't see the value here? $20 a month for 2 or 3 matches assuming I go to the local games and get some Force games on FTA
    No. You're not.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    But it's all over in 3 months, so $60 total cost... $60 means different things to different people, but as I already have Stan, $30 is an easy one to get past the minister for war and finance
    Good point. We only do 2 streaming services at a time because they so much stuff on them. So I'll probably drop Amazon Prime and pick up Stan for the duration of the rugby.

vCash
    If you paid for Fox sport for the same deal (or me) then there's plenty of value there. But it's only by comparison.

C'mon the

vCash
    I get Kayo for $15 so I'd be paying more for Stan Sport for less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I get Kayo for $15 so I'd be paying more for Stan Sport for less.
    Yep, in that case, but I was pointing a couple more years in the past.There was an important if in there, this does represent value for some customers, it's also a complete waste of money for some customers.we can't really be critical of those on the other side of the continuum than us because there are a lot of variables.The key one I see is whether you watch the other sports available on kayo.I agree that it's nicely slick marketing to say that you can get Stan sport for only ten bucks, but add the asterisk which means you're paying the same amount as kayo for less sport and not a mountain of stuff that you can't get already on 9

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yep, in that case, but I was pointing a couple more years in the past.There was an important if in there, this does represent value for some customers, it's also a complete waste of money for some customers.we can't really be critical of those on the other side of the continuum than us because there are a lot of variables.The key one I see is whether you watch the other sports available on kayo.I agree that it's nicely slick marketing to say that you can get Stan sport for only ten bucks, but add the asterisk which means you're paying the same amount as kayo for less sport and not a mountain of stuff that you can't get already on 9
    I watch heaps of sport so Kayo is a no brainer for me, for people who only want to watch Rugby Union Stan sport may make sense but I agree with Andy's assessment on the previous page regarding the casual viewer in a pub. Most pubs probably aren't going to ditch their Fox Sports set ups so I'd imagine Rugby may disappear to the casual viewer.

Kayo is a winner because you can get the Fox Sports package without the rest of the garbage (you need a basic package for Foxtel for $25 a month just to get the sport package).

I hope the deal turns into a winner for Rugby Australia purely to f*ck off Rupert Murdoch and co.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    ...I hope the deal turns into a winner for Rugby Australia purely to f*ck off Rupert Murdoch and co.
    this

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I hope the deal turns into a winner for Rugby Australia purely to f*ck off Rupert Murdoch and co.
    I can get on board with that sentiment, but I would have the same attitude to it leaving the control of any of the media moguls, they're all baby-eating arseholes imho

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    In 2020, I paid $25 per month for Rugby Union, NRL, AFL, NFL, College football, domestic and international cricket, and heaps of other sporting content.

To get the same content in 2021, it looks like I would have to pay $49 per month (taking the HD option). The only additional content which I would get for my money appears to be Shute Shield and Hospital Cup.
    Have I got that right?

As it stands, that doesn't look like an terribly attractive value proposition.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    In 2020, I paid $25 per month for Rugby Union, NRL, AFL, NFL, College football, domestic and international cricket, and heaps of other sporting content.

To get the same content in 2021, it looks like I would have to pay $49 per month (taking the HD option). The only additional content which I would get for my money appears to be Shute Shield and Hospital Cup.
    Have I got that right?

As it stands, that doesn't look like an terribly attractive value proposition.
    But hopefully the live free-to-air coverage on Channel 9 at prime sports viewing time will good for rugby's exposure to new audiences in NSW and Qld at least and perhaps a little elsewhere as well. Foxsports and Kayo were not promoting rugby anymore and in fact cut their mid-week rugby show.
    Rugby will be Stans only winter sport for a while so hopefully 9 and Stan will promote it like crazy, like they do with other new shows. I think they are planning a mid-week panel rugby show on Stan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    "which includes every Wallabies Test,"
    Six Nations is on BeIN. Overseas rights holders own the overseas matches that the Wallabies play in.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    But hopefully the live free-to-air coverage on Channel 9 at prime sports viewing time will good for rugby's exposure to new audiences in NSW and Qld at least and perhaps a little elsewhere as well. Foxsports and Kayo were not promoting rugby anymore and in fact cut their mid-week rugby show.
    Rugby will be Stans only winter sport for a while so hopefully 9 and Stan will promote it like crazy, like they do with other new shows. I think they are planning a mid-week panel rugby show on Stan.
    The biggest issue with Channel 9 apart from the commentary is the bloody ads.

Shouty Maloney and some of the other apologists are bad enough.

McArdle was the only one with a set to call out Cheika.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Ads used to piss everybody off. Now they seem to have become an opportunity to check your phone.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast