Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WA for a bubble?

vCash

WA for a bubble?

Force coach pulling for Perth bubble

Western Force coach Tim Sampson sees no reason why, if Super Rugby AU is forced to go back into a COVID bubble again in the coming season, the competition could not be based in Perth.

The competition is scheduled to begin with a clash of traditional rivals NSW and Queensland at Suncorp Stadium on February 19 and at present the season is set to follow the standard home-and-away format.

But the disruptions caused to Christmas arrangements across the country demonstrated how precarious any apparent COVID “truce” might be, and Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan admitted on Tuesday his organisation was drawing up tentative plans to play Super Rugby AU in a bubble again, if necessary.

He indicated that the intended format would be much the same as last year, when the Melbourne Rebels and the Force were forced to be on the road from July to September. Sampson, however, believes RA has options.

“Maybe the bubble should be over here (in Perth),” said the Force coach.

He does not believe that the game needs to be played in the heartland states.

“If it goes into a hub-style, bubble-style competition again, then we are probably back to having reduced numbers in stadiums anyway,” Sampson said. “So I don’t think it would have any impact on the rugby heartlands because crowds would be restricted anyway.”

He is realistic enough to know that playing the competition on the east coast is more economical. If Super Rugby AU was to move to Western Australia, RA would need to find accommodation for four teams – the Waratahs, Reds, Brumbies and Rebels – whereas a repeat of last year’s arrangements would mean possibly only the Force would be inconvenienced.

“We have been through it once, so we would know what to expect this time, which is a bonus,” Sampson conceded.
    “But it doesn’t make things any easier in certain ways. Being away from families was really tough. If it happens, it happens. But I hope not.”

Last season, the Force were hastily drafted into the competition and by the end of a gruelling season had been exposed both for their lack of depth and their fitness levels. But Sampson and his coaching staff addressed both problems during the short off-season and believe they have shored up both areas.

If he is able to get the best out of his new glamour international recruits, there is no reason why the Force could not be contending for its first piece of silverware this season.

The fitness problem has been largely addressed, thanks to the recruitment of former Waratahs head of performance, Anthony Cutrupi, so the issue now hinges on how seamlessly Sampson is able to weld his four Pumas recruits, Ireland’s British and Irish Lions fullback Rob Kearney and glamour Brumbies recruits Tevita Kuridrani and Toni Pulu into the existing Force structure.

The Pumas – halves Tomas Cubelli and Domingo Miotti – flanker Tomas Lezana and prop Santiago Medrano – have emerged from quarantine and look like settling well into beachside life in Perth.

“It was a tough year, 2020,” Cubelli, who spent two seasons with the Brumbies, told The Australian. “2021 will be as well. But we are really pleased to be playing for a side as powerful as the Force.”

Cubelli finds himself in a three-way tussle with Force captain Ian Prior and Waratahs recruit Michael McDonald for the halfback spot. Sampson has put a hold on his captaincy announcement to see how the battle for the number nine jersey resolves itself.

Kearney might turning 35 in March, but Sampson has nothing but praise for how he has fitted into his new side.
    “He is outstanding. To have such a knowledgeable person in the number 15 jersey, sitting back and driving the team around, there is quality there.”

Kuridrani might not have had the 2020 season he wanted but Sampson believes he should have been voted man of the match in the Brumbies’ grand final win over the Reds.

“Quality players step up in big game and he proved that. We want to be a part of Tevita getting back to where he was and that’s playing for the Wallabies.

“I think there are some very talented players there (in the Australian side) in Jordan Petaia and Hunter Paisami but Tevita is playing good footy and has an older head on his shoulders. I certainly hope we see him back in the Wallabies jersey this year.”

WAYNE SMITH

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Rugby Australia are only now drawing up plans for a potential bubble competition?

No wonder the professional side of the code is on life support in Australia.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    “If it goes into a hub-style, bubble-style competition again, then we are probably back to having reduced numbers in stadiums anyway,” Sampson said. “So I don’t think it would have any impact on the rugby heartlands because hardly anyone turns up as it is.”
    FIXED.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Rugby Australia are only now drawing up plans for a potential bubble competition? No wonder the professional side of the code is on life support in Australia.
    The plans have always been there, there only just now discovering the need to find a justification for hosting the bubble in Sydney when it's arguably the most covid-riddled city in the nation

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    The plans have always been there, there only just now discovering the need to find a justification for hosting the bubble in Sydney when it's arguably the most covid-riddled city in the nation
    *cough*
    *sniffle*
    *cough* *cough*

"covid-riddled city in the nation????"

I *cough* call bull*cough*shit

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    X, when did you turn into Gladys Bin Chicken?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    X, when did you turn into Gladys Bin Chicken?
    The most attractive woman in Aus Politics?

whats not to like?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    *cough**sniffle**cough* *cough*"covid-riddled city in the nation????"I *cough* call bull*cough*shit
    I said arguablyMelbourne has a strong case as well, but you can travel to WA from Melbourne at the moment so 🤷

C'mon the

vCash
    Would the surface at HBF Park stand up to two rugby matches a week for 10 weeks?

I mean, it'll stand up better than Suncorp, Sydney or even AAMI's surface, which generally can't cope with matches a week apart without cutting up something rotten.

You could put the non-televised match at UWA, which has been fine for the NRC.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Would probably have to factor in the Perth Glory fixtures at HBF Park as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    The most attractive woman in Aus Politics?

whats not to like?
    There's an old (and a little crude) saying X. You don't look at the mantelpiece when you're stoking the fire.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The biggest problem is the lockdown loving cowboy running WA and he has put roadblocks up on events which cost WA the AFL Final and a Cricket test.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Games at HBF Park and Litis Stadium. Maybe double-header semi-finals at Optus?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Wonder if this will affect Force training this week with the trial game on Friday. Maybe they’ll have to fly over earlier than planned?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Wonder if this will affect Force training this week with the trial game on Friday. Maybe they’ll have to fly over earlier than planned?
    ACT

ACT Health is requesting that passengers arriving on flights from Western Australia go directly to their accommodation and to minimise their interactions with other people.

“ACT Health advises that all passengers should wear a mask and go directly to their accommodation,” ACT’s Deputy Chief Health Officer, Dr Vanessa Johnston said.

“ACT Health is monitoring the situation in Western Australia and will be making further decisions as additional information is received from WA authorities. We will be in contact with passengers tomorrow.

“Of course, any person who starts to experience symptoms of COVID-19 should get tested immediately.”

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...e12cbc313d9b55

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast