Thread: New CEO

Champion
    vCash

New CEO

Nick Taylor in The West is saying Tasman Makos ceo Tony Lewis is new ceo.

Anyone access the story?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Looks like a great signing. Bonus is that he has previously lived & worked in WA in Perth, and also played rugby for WA.

vCash
    The new Force CEO and the new RugbyWA CEO both ex-players and ex-WA players. That’s awesome!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Rookie
    vCash
    Successful Kiwi rugby administrator Tony Lewis to lead Western Force into new era of Super Rugby
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Tue, 5 January 2021 7:00AM

Picture: Western Force’s new CEO Tony Lewis. Credit: Fairfax

Western Force have snared top New Zealand rugby administrator and former WA representative player Tony Lewis to lead the club into a new era of Super Rugby.

The new chief executive has spent eight years in charge of NZ’s Tasman Mako Union that won back-to-back premierships in the 2019 and 2020 Mitre 10 provincial competition.

He played for Perth club Western Suburbs, now Wests Scarborough, in the late 1980s and in 1987 represented WA.

His recruitment is a keystone in billionaire owner Andrew Forrest’s plan to build the Force into a dominant Super Rugby power.

The Mako success comes on the back of a strong academy established by Lewis and growing local strength is key to Forrest’s re-building.

The mining magnate, who has bankrolled the Force since they were controversially axed by Rugby Australia four years ago, has already pledged $5 million to a grassroots-to-elite rugby program.

The Force have now been invited back into Super Rugby and will play in both this season’s Australian competition and the trans-Tasman tournament.

“Tony’s appointment is another key building block for the Force and underlines my drive for WA to have the best academy system across all of Australian sport, through which we can develop, recruit and retain the best young players, just as the Mako have done so successfully in New Zealand,” Forrest said.

Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest addresses the team after the game. Credit: Justin Benson-Cooper/The Sunday Times

“This program will not only strengthen local club and school rugby, but also help support the success of the Wallabies as the Force looks to produce more international players.

“I am passionate about ensuring our young sports people and their families have the clearest possible pathway and best coaching resources in Australia available right here in WA to achieve their full potential.”

Lewis oversaw Mako high-performance in partnership with the Crusaders, NZ’s most successful Super Rugby franchise, and produced a number of Super players, including seven All Blacks and six NZ 7s players and six coaches who have gone on to coach Super Rugby.

Lewis said he was excited about the future.

“To head up an organisation with such an exciting future is a role any leader would grab with both hands, especially given the vision of Andrew and Nicola Forrest for the Force to be a trans-Tasman Super Rugby powerhouse,” he said.

“There is no reason for Perth not to be a destination of choice for aspiring young rugby players and that is certainly one of the goals I will be seeking to achieve.

“The leadership style I’ll be bringing to the Force from all my experiences at the Mako and across professional sport will aim to allow management, staff, players and coaches to achieve excellence on and off the field.

“Our values and culture will drive how everyone within the club relates to their teammates, volunteers, fans and Perth’s enthusiastic rugby community.

“Having lived and played rugby in WA I know first-hand there is a thriving rugby culture in the state.

“I can’t wait to work with everyone connected to the Western Force, from the girls and boys across club and school competitions, RugbyWA, sponsors and suppliers and our fantastic Sea of Blue supporters.”

Before moving to Tasman Lewis was general manager at Shute Shield club Randwick and NSW cricket high performance and player welfare manager.

He coached professionally in the UK, taught physical education in Perth, London and NZ and played for Otago, South Island and New Zealand Universities.

Current CEO Mark Evans who oversaw the birth of Forrest’s Global Rapid Rugby that was suspended during the COVID-19 crisis will hand over next month.

He resigned late last year when travel restrictions, and having family in England, made it impossible to carry out the role long term.

Forrest said Evans was an exceptional leader.

“The club, staff and players all wish to thank Mark for his leadership through difficult times, including his dedication to the club whilst working remotely from the UK to be with his family,” Forrest said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881761330z

Rookie
    vCash
    More comments from Tony Lewis here on Tasman Mako FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/thetasmanma...13825672014593

BREAKING NEWS: Tony Lewis to leave TRU for CEO role with the Western Force union based in Perth, Australia.
    Tony has been in charge of the TRU since October 2013 and has lead the union to back-to-back Mitre 10 Cup titles as well as successfully hosting an All Blacks test match in Nelson for the first time.
    In a message to stakeholders, Lewis noted "It is my belief that seven to eight years as a CEO in an organisation is about the right time frame. It was the hardest decision of my life. Stephanie and I love the Tasman region and our home in Nelson. We plan to retire in the region in the future. It is a great place to live and the people have been very welcoming since 2013 – it is home.
    I’ll be eternally grateful for the opportunities that the TRU gave me when I was appointed CEO. Every day I feel blessed, privileged and grateful to work in the greatest sport on the planet and in particular for the TRU and the Tasman region.
    Every staff appointment since 2013 has taken the TRU to the next level in their area of expertise and has been a key cog in success whether in the clubs and schools, high performance or the front office. The new and increased level of performance and professionalism from the staff has resulted in the TRU being a leader and key influencer with NZR Inc.
    With hard work we are currently the premier NZ rugby province across a number of the rugby landscapes and we must continue to strive to ensure that the Board’s vision to be a top four provincial union under any criteria is our number priority and not lost as we move forward.
    To every Mako player and coach since 2013, it has been a pleasure being associated with them. I will follow your careers proudly and truly believe that our paths will cross again. Once a Mako always a Mako."
    The Western Force announcement can be read here ~
    https://www.westernforce.com.au/new-...-force-ceo.../

Name:  TL.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  76.3 KB

Rookie
    vCash
    Here he is being interviewed back in April 2020

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2650101751942505

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooked View Post
    Here he is being interviewed back in April 2020

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2650101751942505
    Wow. I think Twiggy has found a gem in Tony.