Thread: Western Force sign three more Los Pumas stars for next year’s Super Rugby tournaments

Champion
    vCash

Western Force sign three more Los Pumas stars for next year’s Super Rugby tournaments

You beauty

Western Force sign three more Los Pumas stars for next year’s Super Rugby tournaments
    The West Australian
    Mon, 7 December 2020 5:11PM

Western Force have signed three more international stars to their impressive squad for next season’s two Super Rugby competitions.
    Argentinians, flanker Tomas Lezana, tighthead prop Santiago Medrano and fly-half Domingo Miotti were in the Los Pumas Tri-Nations squad that beat the All Blacks in one of the great upsets in Test history and drew twice with the Wallabies.
    Lezana and Medrano, who have signed two-year deals and Miotti one, will join Argentinian teammates hooker Julián Montoya and scrum-half Tomás Cubelli.
    The Force have signed six new overseas marquee players, the five Los Pumas stars joining Ireland and British Lions full-back Rob Kearney.
    They also have Wallabies centres Tevita Kuridrani and Kyle Godwin, front-rowers Greg Holmes and Tom Robertson, former All Blacks Jeremy Thrush and Richard Kahui and Samoan World cup centre Henry Taefu.
    Lezana, with 39 international appearances and Medrano with 21 caps, were part of the Los Pumas 2019 World Cup campaign in Japan.
    Lezana played 46 Super Rugby matches for the Jaguares and Medrano made 30 appearances.
    “It’s a very exciting time for the club and I’m thrilled to be a part of it,” Lezana said.
    “The Force has a great balance of local talent and world-class signings, so to be able to learn and work alongside this group of players and coaches is fantastic.”
    Medrano said: “I have heard great things about the passionate fan base and rugby community in Western Australia, which I can’t wait to experience.
    “I’m really looking forward to developing my game and showing the fans what I’m capable of.”
    Miotti made his Test debut in the draw against the Wallabies on Saturday at Bankwest Stadium.
    Force coach Tim Sampson said the signings brought important international experience.
    “The club is delighted to have Tomás, Santiago and Domingo join us after their commitments with the national team have wound up,” Sampson said.
    “All three players were in the match day squad versus the Crusaders in the Super Rugby grand final in 2019, so they bring important experience at Super Rugby level to the squad.”
    The Force will play in both the Australian and trans-Tasman Super competitions next season and will add another home fixture at HBF Park.
    It is understood they have investigated the possibility of bringing the Maori All Backs or the Robbie Deans coached Panasonic Wild Knights to Perth.
    The Force have strong links with Deans.
    He was in charge of the Knights side that was beaten 50-45by the Force in the 2018 World Series and the World XV that was beaten 26-16 in last year’s 2019 Global Rapid Rugby showcase series.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Excellent news

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is that the extra international game that was hinted at last week?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Is that the extra international game that was hinted at last week?
    Sounds like it.

So we're not signing 34 year old, 43 cap fly-half Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, but 24 year old, 2 cap fly-half Domingo Miotti? I'm pretty sure that's quite an improvement, but I wonder why the articles a month ago got it wrong, when the other names were all correct.

That's also quite a competition for both half positions: 9 - Prior, Cubelli or McDonald, 10 - Lance, Miotti or McIntyre

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    We may be the only team with a surplus of 10s! Not a bad problem to have.