Thread: New RugbyWA boss, former Western Force and Wallaby star Nathan Charles

Champion
    vCash

New RugbyWA boss, former Western Force and Wallaby star Nathan Charles

Brilliant news

New RugbyWA boss, former Western Force and Wallaby star Nathan Charles ‘ecstatic’ to grow grassroots game
    The West Australian
    Mon, 23 November 2020 6:20PM

Former Western Force and Wallaby hooker Nathan Charles will be indulging in one of his great passions as new RugbyWA chief executive – building the grassroots game.
    Charles, who was snatched by the Force from Sydney club rugby in 2010, went on to make a record-breaking 83 appearances as hooker.
    “Rugby, and particularly rugby in WA, has always been a huge passion. I’m ecstatic that I’ve got the opportunity to be part of something special,” Charles said.“Getting involved in the grassroots game, being involved in growing the game from the ground up, is going to be a thrill.
    “The WA rugby community gave me pretty much everything I have in terms of my start and opportunities.
    “I’m ecstatic that I’ve got the opportunity to be part of something special and take the organisation into a sustainable future and develop grassroots.
    “It hurt when the Force were removed.
    “They are back and raising the profile, the branding and creating the pathway.
    “It’s fantastic what they have done and we now have a clear pathway with opportunities here in WA.”
    Charles hung up his boots two years ago after a career that stretched from the Force to France with Clermont, English heavyweights Bath and Wasps and a couple of appearances for Melbourne Rebels.
    He had a breakthrough 2014 with a Wallabies call-up before it was brought to a sudden halt with a pectoral tear in just his fourth Test against the All Blacks.
    Charles, who has been known as “Cheese” since a youngster – something to do with wanting cheese sandwiches for school he once explained – is also the only person with cystic fibrosis ever to play a contact sport at an elite level.
    He is national CF ambassador.
    “It is something I’m very passionate about and I’m keen to continue on in that role,” he said.
    Charles, who started a health and safety consultancy after retiring from rugby has spent 16 months as general manager of pathways at Athletics West.
    He takes over from outgoing chief executive Bob Hunter.
    RugbyWA chairman John Edwards said it was a “genuine pleasure” to make the announcement.
    “Nathan is a favourite Western Force player and as Wallaby #881 also distinguished himself for Australia at the highest level.
    ”In addition, even while achieving at these high levels, Nathan has battled cystic fibrosis all his life.
    “He is definitely one of a kind.
    “We are particularly pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to one of our own Force players.
    “As a former Super Rugby player, Wallaby and Classic Wallaby Nathan is already well connected across the various levels of the Rugby community in WA having played club rugby.
    “He is also well connected across the national levels of the rugby community.”
    RugbyWA patron Geoff Stooke said: “WA rugby is moving into an exciting era, with our elite team back in Super Rugby and the community game improving in standard and participation.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881729374z

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Interesting to see how this all plays out. I understand* there has been a significant restructure and the CEO role being vacated by Bob no longer exists as such. Steve (Anderson) would appear to have more responsibility - including some of Bob's role - so what Cheese comes in to do will be interesting to see.

*sauces

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Interesting to see how this all plays out. I understand* there has been a significant restructure and the CEO role being vacated by Bob no longer exists as such. Steve (Anderson) would appear to have more responsibility - including some of Bob's role - so what Cheese comes in to do will be interesting to see.

*sauces
    I think they have spilt the role so one person looks after the ‘pure rugby’ side of things and the other the management, governance, RA and Force liaison etc side of things. I could have that all wrong though!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Glad to see he's fit and healthy

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I was only wondering the other day (give or take a dozen) what Cheese was up to.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I was only wondering the other day (give or take a dozen) what Cheese was up to.
    I saw him during the finals series - looking pretty trim & fit. Smaller than I remember, but I guess if you're not on a weights programme at a professional rugby outfit you'll probably lose some muscle mass.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I saw him during the finals series - looking pretty trim & fit. Smaller than I remember, but I guess if you're not on a weights programme at a professional rugby outfit you'll probably lose some muscle mass.
    Yeah I seen him the other day running a program and had to double take due to the size difference.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Hopefully he keeps up some form of rugby or fitness training regime for his CF. Didn't he once say in an interview that there wasn't much difference between rugby training and Cystic Fibrosis treatment, apart from in the treatment they hit you harder?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Senior Player
    vCash
    A big thanks must go to Bob Hunter who has not had the easiest tenure as CEO to say the least. Having to get Rugby WA through voluntary administration, having to rebuild the grassroots after the force were culled, and in his final year having to deal with covid.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!