Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies, Super Rugby TV deal: Channel 9 secures rugby rights

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I have no need for STAN or NETFLIX
    Same here, X.

For me, the present focusing question is "What sports will we get with STAN Sport (and what sports will Kayo cull from its offering)?". The only ones mentioned so far are Rugby Union and tennis (Wimbledon and Roland Garros), which would hardly be value for money, even at $14 per month.

IMHO, STAN Sport will need to have a similar diversity and range of sports to that offered by Kayo, in order to be competitive with Kayo. Based upon available information, I could not see myself paying for both STAN Sport and Kayo,

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I get that. But already, to get the sports I had access to a few years back I'd be up for a bunch. Optus for EPL. Stan for SR. NRL Digital pass. Rugby Pass on VPN for Gallagher Premiership. I don't even know how to watch Top 14 or UK Superleague. Now I didn't watch all of that content. But nice to be able to pick and choose. All that, along with FTA, recordable and series linked on one convenient platform will be missed big time
    Yeah I hear that, and that was my justification for holding on to Kayo until this announcement, all those sports, including College Football, F1 MotoGP, MMA if I'm getting bored, I even watched the E-Prix and SailGP a couple of times. Unfortunately my viewing habits have not justified the cost and Kayo has sat, progressively gathering dust, since I was the only one using it.

The trouble will make good use of generic Stan and I really haven't made time for watching anything other than the rugby so It's an easy decision for me.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Same here, X.

For me, the present focusing question is "What sports will we get with STAN Sport (and what sports will Kayo cull from its offering)?". The only ones mentioned so far are Rugby Union and tennis (Wimbledon and Roland Garros), which would hardly be value for money, even at $14 per month.

IMHO, STAN Sport will need to have a similar diversity and range of sports to that offered by Kayo, in order to be competitive with Kayo. Based upon available information, I could not see myself paying for both STAN Sport and Kayo,
    I definitely agree that Stan will need a wide array of sports to be a going concern into the future but this is definitely a shot across the bow of Foxtel who are already suffering from a massive drop off in paying subscribers.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I definitely agree that Stan will need a wide array of sports to be a going concern into the future but this is definitely a shot across the bow of Foxtel who are already suffering from a massive drop off in paying subscribers.
    trying to negotiate with Fox to reduce my payments,but are playing hardball on the grounds i have an old package on cable-want me to upgrade before negotiating a package-told them i was almost certainly going to quit

vCash
    How did it end up?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    told them i will get back to them

vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I had lunch today with a lad who sometimes has reason to visit the Moore Park Bunker.

He made a few observations about the new order.
    1. It appears to be an article of faith in the Bunker that there exists out there a significant cohort of affluent rusted-on Rugby supporters who will subscribe to Stan Sport for the Rugby, regardless of what other (if any) sports Nine manages to sigh up for Stan Sport, and regardless of cost.
    2. Another article of faith is that a majority of rugby fans who are now with Fox, Kayo, Netflix etc will transfer to Stan Sport.
    3. He couldn't find anyone who knew how many subscribers to Kayo are there primarily for Rugby.
    4. This has the smell of a loss leader.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    You'd like to think part of the decision making process would have included how they take their constituency with them and grow it, but....

My main observation would be that if they think they are invisible because they don't have a FTA presence, IMO it would pale to insignificance next to the invisibility of not having a presence in all the bars and pubs across the country. Who do they think their 'casual viewer' demographic is, exactly?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Some more overview on the state of play for sports media.

Stan's 'toe in the water' with rugby changes sports rights landscape

By Chris Barrett and Zoe Samios
    November 13, 2020 — 8.53pm

Five years ago, National Rugby League chief executive Dave Smith walked into the office of then Fairfax Media chief executive Greg Hywood at Pyrmont in inner Sydney to talk to him about the NRL broadcast rights.

The former Lloyds Bank chief had been convinced that live streaming of sport was the way of the future since Major League Baseball’s pioneering entry into over-the-top media and was in the midst of shopping around the rights to the 13-a-side game for the five seasons from 2018.

It was only several months before that a pre-merged Fairfax and Nine Entertainment Co had launched television and film streaming service Stan and Smith was eager to see if live sport was a part of their plan as well.

“They were very interested and forward thinking in what they were trying to achieve,” Smith recalled.

“But they were just new to the country and the technology wasn’t ready. And, equally, when I was doing the rights I was convinced that a Google or a Yahoo or a somebody, one of these digital streamers, could potentially pick it up if their business models and strategies allowed them. The time wasn’t quite right then. I think it’s definitely more right now.”

Smith would end up completing a more traditional deal, valued at a then-record $925 million, with Nine, which famously prompted an irritated Rupert Murdoch to declare News Corp “always preferred AFL” before the media giant came to the table and sent the overall size of the game’s rights package skyrocketing to $1.9 billion.

The Welshman departed the NRL in the midst of it all but, five years on, his vision for the future of sports rights in Australia may be starting to take shape with Nine and Stan Sport’s acquisition of rugby in a $38 million, three-year agreement unveiled this week.

Owned by Nine, now the publisher of this masthead, the new sport streaming arm of Stan also announced the acquisition of the rights to two tennis tournaments - Wimbledon and the French Open

Across the ditch this week, Amazon Prime also secured a foray into live sport on the subcontinent by paying for the rights to screen all New Zealand cricket in India for the next five years.

Smith is not attempting to appear ahead of the game - he’s speaking after being contacted by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age - but believes the addition of another sports streamer in Australia alongside Foxtel’s Kayo is great news for sports who’ve been told by television executives that rights fees have hit their ceiling.

“I honestly always thought that at some point they were going to be a major player in the market. Sports content is so valuable - it’s a marketplace that was bound to fill up,” he said.

“If I was a content owner I’d think it fabulous because, one, I can access a bigger audience; two, I’ve got more buyers of my content. I think there are lots of good reasons why there has been this massive technological shift and I think it’s good for the sports because it brings more competition into the system.”

With rugby as the pilot program, there will be interest in what Nine sets its sights on next for Stan Sport.

The rights to the A-League football are available from next year but as for the subscription market in Australia’s three major codes - NRL, AFL and cricket - Nine chief executive Hugh Marks has indicated Foxtel have too much skin in the game at the moment to be challenged.

Colin Smith, managing director of Global Media and Sports, describes Nine and Stan Sport’s rugby play as a “toe in the water” with a unique economic model in which they will try to generate advertising revenue from the game in front of the paywall and drive subscriptions behind it.

“Probably it’s their little toe because, with all due respect, if you think about rugby in this day and age, it’s not like rugby is a must-watch even in NSW and Queensland,” he said.

"But there is no question it’s an attention grabber.”

Whether or not it's the little or big toe, Stan's move into live sport has set a precedent for how Australia's major media companies will start thinking about future sports rights deals. Marks has repeatedly spoken about the need to own broadcast rights across all mediums and rugby is the first sport to allow this. This idea of "exclusivity" has finally become a reality.

Luke Bould, former chief commercial officer at Football Federal Australia and director at consultancy Alacria Global, said the ability to own all the content will be very valuable for both the sport and the media company.

"The success of this will be how they can make the two parties work together or how they can build those synergies between Nine and Stan," Bould says.

Stan Sport will be one of three local players able to provide viewers with live coverage of matches. Optus Sport, which launched in 2016, has the rights to the English Premier League, K-League and J.League while Kayo Sports, a streaming service owned by Foxtel, provides a variety of different matches at a cheaper price point to the traditional set-top box. The more services in the market, the more competition for the rights. But Bould says he does not expect rights to cost media companies any more than they do now.

"I'm not sure it's going to have a massive impact on rights fees," he says. "We've reached a point where everybody has a new discipline in what they pay for things.

"While it won't hurt the rights market to have a new client, it will probably stop some of the declining rights fees. I certainly don't believe it's going to lead to a new era of rights fee escalation."

What is more likely to occur is a move away from aggregation. Instead of the one-stop-shop for live sport - Foxtel - every organisation will be thinking about what is best value for money and this will change where viewers can access content. Inevitably this will increase competition tension for Foxtel, which uses live sport as a way to attract subscribers and has a large debt pile it needs to pay off.

"They're clearly going to lose that position [as an aggregator]. But ultimately they're a really sophisticated business and they've got an enormous amount of data, so they will have looked at the subscriber numbers, they will have done an evaluation on the likely losses of subscribers as a result of losing rugby and that will have driven their offer," Bould said.

"Whilst they do lose that positioning around all sport or at least all Australian sports ... clearly that position only has benefit if it stacks up financially."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/stan-s-...13-p56egd.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    I had lunch today with a lad who sometimes has reason to visit the Moore Park Bunker. He made a few observations about the new order.
    1. It appears to be an article of faith in the Bunker that there exists out there a significant cohort of affluent rusted-on Rugby supporters who will subscribe to Stan Sport for the Rugby, regardless of what other (if any) sports Nine manages to sigh up for Stan Sport, and regardless of cost.
    2. Another article of faith is that a majority of rugby fans who are now with Fox, Kayo, Netflix etc will transfer to Stan Sport.
    3. He couldn't find anyone who knew how many subscribers to Kayo are there primarily for Rugby.
    4. This has the smell of a loss leader.
    On point 1 and 2 I know there's definitely a group of supporters in that bracket. I just don't know if that group is greater than 1

C'mon the

vCash
    Some sobering thoughts from Malcolm Knox regarding the TV deal.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...13-p56ed3.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    trying to negotiate with Fox to reduce my payments,
    How'd you go Gunny? Been without Fox for a fortnight now. Should have done it ages ago. Being about as tech savvy as TLH, I dragged the chain though. Haven't bought a smart-arse TV yet. Just paid $54 for a chromecast and stream from my phone/tablet. Easy as. Currently giving the Kayo a trial and it's pretty good. Only got the basic NBN package and it streams 2 devices with no buffering so far.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    How'd you go Gunny? Been without Fox for a fortnight now. Should have done it ages ago. Being about as tech savvy as TLH, I dragged the chain though. Haven't bought a smart-arse TV yet. Just paid $54 for a chromecast and stream from my phone/tablet. Easy as. Currently giving the Kayo a trial and it's pretty good. Only got the basic NBN package and it streams 2 devices with no buffering so far.
    Shasta, I ditched Fox about 2-3 years ago after the Force were axed I got a chromecast and only signed up for Kayo this year when the Force started playing Super again. The only other sport I watched is PGA golf, but only because I had Kayo. Now that Kayo have lost rugby, I will ditch it next week and sign with Stan when Super rugby starts again next year.

When I first got Fox, I used to love watching the History Channel and National Geographic, but then Fox started making you pay extra for those and the movies that my wife watched. After I ditched Fox, I discovered Youtube and SBS streaming and there is hundreds of times more stuff on there for free than what Fox wanted me to pay for.

I have lowest level NBN and it copes no problems, with me watching rugby on my laptop, while at the same time my wife is streaming a movie. And the bonus is we are not fighting for the Fox or TV controls, and what we are going to watch.

Stan will be great, as I will get rugby and my wife will get more movies etc to watch, and it will hopefully cost less than Kayo

vCash
    I'll probably flick Kayo once I've watched the NPC final and St Helens V Wigan in their final. I like how you subscribe and suspend whenever you want from your device so I'll do that in future - start up again in Feb to see how GI's Superleague comeback goes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast