Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force appoint highly experienced former Fiji world cup coach John McKee

Champion
    vCash

Western Force appoint highly experienced former Fiji world cup coach John McKee

Wow. Just seen this but it's behind the West paywall.
    But I'm also very sorry to see Van go. A great bloke who did a great job in trying times

Western Force appoint highly experienced former Fiji world cup coach John McKee as forwards coach
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Fri, 23 October 2020 1:00PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quality signing.

Snippets from another non-pay source:

… McKee was in charge of the ‘Flying Fijians’ from 2014-2019 and was credited with helping enhance high-performance pathways and raise the standards of the national side.

… “It was fantastic to see the Force in Super Rugby AU this year,” McKee said in a statement. “The style of rugby they played throughout the competition showed how much potential there is within the group.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-r...-idUSKBN2780IL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Western Force appoint highly experienced former Fiji world cup coach John McKee as forwards coach
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Fri, 23 October 2020 1:00PM

Western Force have appointed highly experienced former Fiji world cup coach John McKee as their new forwards coach for the next two seasons.

McKee took the Flying Fijians from a tier-two nation in 2014 to a top 10 side and led them to the 2015 and 2019 World Cups finals.

He replaces Van Humphries who joined the Force in 2018 when the club was resurrected by mining magnate Andrew Forrest after being axed by Rugby Australia.

Coach Tim Sampson said McKee would add depth to his coaching team.

“John is a highly qualified coach that brings a wealth of experience to the club,” he said.

“He has coached at the highest level on the biggest stage of international Test rugby and European club rugby.

“We’re really pleased to welcome him to the Force.”

McKee said he had been impressed by the potential of the Super Rugby squad being buit by Sampson.

“It was fantastic to see the Force in Super Rugby this year,” he said

“The style of rugby they played throughout the competition showed how much potential there is within the group.
    “Tim Sampson has done a fantastic job developing the team over the past few years, has created a strong club culture with a balanced mix of national and international experience, as well as some great young talent coming through the ranks.

“The aspect of coaching that gives me the most joy is seeing young players develop.

“You win games and championships, which are great moments, but when I look back on my career within Australia and overseas, I always place emphasis on assisting the younger players develop and help them on their pathway to reach their potential, which I look forward to doing here at the Force.”

McKee, a New Zealander, began his coaching career in Australia in the 1990’s.

He was with French Top 14 side AS Montferrand from 2000-02, Irish PRO14 outfit Connacht in 2002-05 before returning to Australia and leading Central Coast Rays to their inaugural NRC title in 2007.

A year later he was an assistant coach with the Pacific Island side on their European tour and was technical advisor for Tonga before moving to RA where he was involved in youth development and assistant coach at the 2013 junior World Cup.

He was appointed Fijian coach in 2014, leading them to two World Cups and four consecutive Pacific Nations Cup titles.

Sampson thanked Humphries who left the club after a mutual agreement.

“Van is a high-quality person and I really enjoyed working alongside him over the past three seasons,” Sampson said.

“He has sacrificed a lot whilst here at the Force and we sincerely wish him all the best for what lies ahead.”
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881701933z

Last edited by SlowCooked; 24-10-20 at 12:19.

vCash
    Fantastic news even though Van’s going!

vCash
    Where will Van go?

...don't worry; I'll see myself out

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    back to the paint brush!

vCash
    I ear what you guys are saying!

Rookie
    vCash
    Assistant coach John McKee says Western Force youth need to step up in Super Rugby competition

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Tue, 12 January 2021 2:00AM

Fiji's former head coach, now Western Force assistant John McKee. Credit: MARK R. CRISTINO/EPA

The injection of seasoned internationals does not mean the Western Force’s crop of young talent is just there to make up the numbers for next year’s Super Rugby competitions.

Far from it, says new assistant coach John McKee.

The Force will have 10 overseas signings for the Australian and trans-Tasman tournaments — the same dispensation they and Melbourne Rebels had from Rugby Australia before it axed the Force three years ago.

They have five Argentinians, Irish full-back Rob Kearney and former All Blacks Richard Kahui and Jeremy Thrush among others.

They will join Wallabies Tevita Kuridrani, Kyle Godwin and Tom Robertson.

McKee says experience will be crucial.

But so will the young breed like second-rowers Fergus Lee-Warner and Ryan McCauley, junior Wallabies Michael McDonald and Jake McIntyre, outside backs Byron Ralston and Jake Strachan, sevens star Tim Anstee and local products Grayson Makara and Ollie Callan.

McKee, who coached Fiji in two World Cups, said a deep squad was a priority heading into a busy 2021 and beyond.

“We all want to see a competitive Western Force next season. That’s why you need to bring in these players in the short term,” he said.

“For medium to long-term competitiveness we need to develop young talent.

“The squad has got quite a balance between older, experienced players and a really good young group coming through.

“The experience will rub off on the younger players very quickly.

“We need those young players to contribute to the squad next season. It’s very important to put time in to develop and accelerate their progress so they are ready to play Super Rugby.”

The Force coaches will funnel different styles and cultures into the Force way.

“We are looking to the strengths that different players can bring, blending them into the way we want to play,” McKee said.

Before leading Fiji to the 2015 and 2019 World Cups and four consecutive Pacific Nations Cup titles, McKee coached at Montferrand, Connacht, Cornish Pirates, the Pacific Islanders, was technical advisor for Tonga and Australian assistant coach at the 2013 Junior World Cup.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881766890z

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SlowCooked; 12-01-21 at 12:32.

vCash
    Very exciting! Let’s hope the eastern states get COVID under control so this season can go ahead as planned!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooked View Post
    Assistant coach John McKee says Western Force youth need to step up in Super Rugby competition

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Tue, 12 January 2021 2:00AM

The Force will have 10 overseas signings for the Australian and trans-Tasman tournaments — the same dispensation they and Melbourne Rebels had from Rugby Australia before it axed the Force three years ago.

They have five Argentinians, Irish full-back Rob Kearney and former All Blacks Richard Kahui and Jeremy Thrush among others.

They will join Wallabies Tevita Kuridrani, Kyle Godwin and Tom Robertson.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...ng-b881766890z
    Sorry how do Wallabies Tevita Kuridrani, Kyle Godwin and Tom Robertson. count as Overseas Signings. Doesn't this mean that Hodgo can sign another 3 Superstars from Europe/NZ/SA?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    It states that the 10 overseas players will be "joining" the three Wallabies, not that the Wallabies "are" overseas signings is how I read it.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Perhaps

I guess its just a coincidence that it adds up to 10.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I read it like TiF, but agree it is not written particularly well. Can understand the concern though, when between them they almost add up to a starting team. Hopefully plans are in place to really supercharge the development structure, as IMO that has always been Australian rugby's biggest weakness.

Wonder what effect cancelling the European Rugby tournaments might have? Would have thought some of those teams must be really feeling the financial pinch.

vCash
    It also said that the force and Melbourne had dispensation to sign 10 marquee players, I don't remember the force receiving such largesse

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It also said that the force and Melbourne had dispensation to sign 10 marquee players, I don't remember the force receiving such largesse
    That was my thought too. Fat lot of good it did anyway. They're still an expensive rabble.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast