Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nine and Stan back in the picture

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Haha. The Trump Solution. Build a wall and make the Vics pay for it?
    Exactly.

But I would have said build a wall around Victoria before Covid.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Why are people so unkind? 😆

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Haha. The Trump Solution. Build a wall and make the Vics pay for it?
    They'll only pay for it if it costs $1.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Why are people so unkind? ��
    get over it Kamal,LOL

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    It's getting near.

Rugby Australia, Nine close to broadcast rights reveal

By Zoe Samios and Sam Phillips
    November 2, 2020 — 12.01am

Super Rugby matches and Wallabies Tests could be live on Nine Network and Stan for the first time next year under a multi-year deal that would end Foxtel's two-decade long relationship with the code.

Industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the process is confidential said Rugby Australia is finalising details to approve an offer by Nine Entertainment Co (owner of this masthead) to broadcast the sport from next year. Both Nine and rival bidder Foxtel have submitted term sheets which were still being reviewed by RA late on Sunday.

Multiple industry sources have said Foxtel considers the deal with Nine is done, although no contracts have been signed. Any successful bid will need to be taken to SANZAAR for formal approval and there is still a chance RA could decide to go with Foxtel. Nine and Foxtel declined to comment.

RA sources also insist no contract has been signed.

While the governing body is not anticipating Foxtel will make an 11th-hour offer, RA are aware that approach has been used by the News Corp-owned company in recent negotiations with other major sports. RA also remain conscious of the impact awarding the rights to a rival company would have on its coverage of Super Rugby, in particular.

If Nine is awarded the rights, it will mark the first time Stan broadcasts live sport on its platform. It opens up the potential for other sports to consider including the subscription streaming service in rights negotiations. It also increases competitive tension with Foxtel, which uses live sport as a way to attract subscribers. Stan currently has 2 million subscribers, a large audience base for rugby union to try and attract.

Any agreement with Nine would mark an end to a long-standing relationship between RA and Foxtel, which has broadcast rugby games in Australia for more than two decades and launched Super Rugby in 1996. The relationship was put under pressure late last year after the pay TV company offered a small sum to broadcast matches once its existing deal expired. Foxtel decided to walk away from talks and only returned to the negotiating table in September. It offered a sum similar to what it currently pays - between $35-$40 million a year - and offered to air one game a week in front of Kayo Sports' paywall. Kayo, which is owned by Foxtel, currently has about 600,000 subscribers.

RA has struggled to grow the game due to a lack of exposure and poor recent performances by the Wallabies. It wanted more matches on a free-to-air television network to build the sport's audience. This was previously difficult for Foxtel, because all of its programming operates behind a paywall. However, two weeks ago it announced it would shift its streaming service Kayo to a "freemium" model to boost audiences.

Industry sources familiar with RA's discussions with media companies who requested anonymity previously said Nine had offered to pay about $30 million a year in cash and free advertising. Nine is expected to air Wallabies Tests, the Rugby Championship and one game a week of Super Rugby on its television network. All other matches are expected to sit behind a paywall on Nine's subscription streaming service Stan.

Nine was first approached by RA in the first round of broadcast negotiations which took place earlier this year with former rugby boss Raelene Castle and consultant Shane Mattiske. The company formalised its bid on October 16 after months of discussions.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...26-p568qw.html

Champion
    vCash
    "Industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the process is confidential said Rugby Australia.."
    = sounds like another Rob Clarke leak?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    "Industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the process is confidential said Rugby Australia.."
    = sounds like another Rob Clarke leak?
    It could be.

But bear in mind this is from the SMH (owned by Nine) reporting on a potential deal (with Nine).

Does that mean the deal-finalising moves with Nine being claimed there are accurate? Not 100%, but it's likely.

If it's not accurate then Nein would know about it (at the top of the chain at least and probably by the writers as well).

Senior Player
    vCash
    It may also just be that Nine are trying to pressure their opposition, Foxtel.

vCash
    I bet it stays with Fox Sports

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I bet it stays with Fox Sports
    If only we knew an online Bookmaker. Deals in vCash.

We could have some fun.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'd bet next week's pay that the anonymous source is Clarke, the hype is all smoke and mirrors and the whole charade is designed to pressure the price up.

The broadcaster would be happy to run the story because it either nets them the product or costs their opponent more.

Win win

C'mon the

vCash
    All this cloak n dagger speculation could be on the money. But I hope 9 is serious and gets the rights. FTA coverage is a must have.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    TBH, I can't really see one game a week changing anything much. Ultimately though, the big question is how much of the deal is cash and how much is contra.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    TBH, I can't really see one game a week changing anything much.
    Nah. I'm with Shasta.

Locking behind a paywall and taking the extra cash is fantastic.

... for a while. But do it too long without bringing in young audience numbers and sports will cut their own throats.

Rugby Australia have drained the game's blood for 20+ years and it's a long, slow road back. Some SR presence (added to Tests on FTA) is needed. Additional bonus points if NRC can somehow be resuscitated.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Ultimately though, the big question is how much of the deal is cash and how much is contra.
    Hard cash is certainly required for wages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast