Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the neXt Theory

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Shas, genuine question how does the storms 21k stack up a hf ainst afl teams. Is it, for example, even close to the most poorly supported afl team in Melbourne?
    Thanks for back up.

Gigs for the Win........

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Thanks for back up. Gigs for the Win........
    It wasn't really an attempt to score, more an attempt to understand what constitutes success in afl-dominated Melbourne. Now, I understand that success in Melbourne is measured by the proportion of scraps off the afl table (at massive cost over what feels to me like 20 years (is it that long))

C'mon the

vCash
    Serious question GIGS, what membership and win % would you say is succeeding for a Rugby franchise in AFL dominated Perth??

Last edited by shasta; 09-10-20 at 12:08.

vCash
    Yeah, good question, but I don't think that's apples for apples is it?

The force have cost a fraction of what the storm and the Rebels have cost, so that comes into consideration, as does total population. I would say 25k would be a highly successful franchise in Perth.

I wonder what it would cost comparitively

I also wonder what that would work out to per capita in comparison to Melbourne.

But I'm genuinely not trying to shit stir mate, just find it an interesting conversation

Are the storm REALLY a success or is there a bit of smoke and mirrors involved?

If they ARE a success, what metrics determine that and what is the methodology that the force could copy

I think with twiggy's backing, we could emulate pretty much anything that has been done with the storm, so the real question is

Should we?

C'mon the

vCash
    If you wanted to compare apples with apples wouldn't you look at how the AFL is doing in it's expansion markets as well?

vCash
    I've no love at all for the Storm. But nobody can deny they are successful. How much they have spent is irrelevant. that's for the people who spent the money to weigh up. It's as relevant as asking if Toulon should be considered a success considering Murad Boujawotsit has spent millions to buy it.

Where they, the Rabble and the Storm fail - IMO - and where The Force and probably the NSW and Qld AFL franchises have had success is in player development. It's a problem that can come with private equity unless provisions made from the outset.
    Interesting subject for myself too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I've no love at all for the Storm. But nobody can deny they are successful. How much they have spent is irrelevant. that's for the people who spent the money to weigh up. It's as relevant as asking if Toulon should be considered a success considering Murad Boujawotsit has spent millions to buy it.

Where they, the Rabble and the Storm fail - IMO - and where The Force and probably the NSW and Qld AFL franchises have had success is in player development. It's a problem that can come with private equity unless provisions made from the outset.
    Interesting subject for myself too.
    Most of the players developed in the AFL expansion sides aren't locals and are drafted from traditional AFL states and the same for the Storm in terms of the players in their squad.

Having a good club environment keeps players.

The AFL have spent tens of millions extra on GWS and the Gold Coast to try to get them to succeed. Not sure why cost was brought in to the discussion if the owner is prepared to fork out the cash.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If you take 20+ years of success - ignoring the dodgy accounting of the salary cap. One thing that you don't hear about is local player development.

Take a look at the Sydney Swans in a similar situation there are examples of Sydney born players coming thru their system on a increasingly regular basis. Including, if I recall correctly, the son of a mungo great.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Most of the players developed in the AFL expansion sides aren't locals
    I'll take your word for that. I wouldn't actually have a clue. I just made an assumtion based on the many times I've heard the likes of Brett Papworth, AJ, Paul Kent.... shitting brick's about how many schools in NSW now have two extra posts for rewarding a shanked shot at goal, how many development officers they have on the ground etc.

vCash
    Both Garry Jack's sons played for the Swans. Bet Jack had a rueful laugh at Ian Roberts being on ABC news last night. As an anti violence campaigner.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by shasta; 09-10-20 at 14:48.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I'll take your word for that. I wouldn't actually have a clue. I just made an assumtion based on the many times I've heard the likes of Brett Papworth, AJ, Paul Kent.... shitting brick's about how many schools in NSW now have two extra posts for rewarding a shanked shot at goal, how many development officers they have on the ground etc.
    It's true - also to the extent that AFL is paying, or at least cover the costs of converting fields to AFL posts and equipment etc.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Both Garry Jack's sons played for the Swans. Bet Jack had a rueful laugh at Ian Roberts being on ABC news last night. As an anti violence campaigner.
    Now there's a hard man....

vCash
    I was going through the Sydney Swans 2020 squad - 5 of the 35 I had a look at are from NSW and 2 of those are from Wagga which I'm told is pretty friendly to AFL.

vCash
    Wagga, and most of the Riverina has been that way for ages. Like kids in Sydney often play both codes, in Wagga it's AFL and RL mostly.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    Now there's a hard man....
    Name:  Jack.png
Views: 1166
Size:  119.1 KB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast