Thread: South Africa blames New Zealand for being forced to quit Super Rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

South Africa blames New Zealand for being forced to quit Super Rugby

September 30, 2020 8:56am
    by NZ HERALD
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Super Rugby as we’ve known it in the professional age since 1996 appears at an end.
    The South African Rugby Union has confirmed it voted to explore moving the Bulls, Stormers, Sharks, and Lions into an expanded PRO16 competition in Europe.

If approved, they would take the place of the Cheetahs and Southern Kings who have been playing in the current PRO14 competition for three seasons with little success.

Watch every match of the 2020 Rugby Championship Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

“SA Rugby would now accelerate preliminary conversations with PRO Rugby Championship DAC on SA Rugby’s representation in the competition,” a South Africa Rugby release said.

In the release, SARU chief executive Jurie Roux said they wouldn’t have been taking this decision but for New Zealand Rugby’s push for a domestic, trans-Tasman or Pacific competition in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Roux said New Zealand’s decision made it impossible to deliver the 14-team Super Rugby competition that had been agreed by the partners and for which five-year broadcasting agreements had been signed.

“Our members are excited about the prospect of closer alignment with PRO Rugby Championship and seeking a northern hemisphere future, but we would not have been taking this decision but for actions elsewhere,” said Roux.

Trans-Tasman rugby relations at an all-time low as TRC feud rolls on

Bledisloe blow as key Wallaby suffers suspected broken arm

Roux said that SA Rugby remained committed to the SANZAAR partnership and participation in the Rugby Championship with New Zealand, Australia and Argentina.

“We will advise our SANZAAR partners of the General Meeting’s decision,” Roux said.

“We remain part of the joint venture and will pursue the ‘Super Series’ discussions in good faith.”

It’s another blow to the SANZAAR partners who couldn’t agree to the schedule for the upcoming Rugby Championship in Australia. Both New Zealand and Australia backed a five week tournament while South Africa and Argentina preferred a six week tournament, which means the All Blacks will face Christmas in quarantine upon arrival in New Zealand.

South Africa have provided three Super Rugby champions since the first Super 12 tournament in 1996 which involved four teams from South Africa. Their franchises grew to a maximum of six in 2016.

The NZ Herald reported yesterday that Super Rugby Aotearoa 2021 will be a six-team competition if New Zealand Rugby’s board sign off this week on a proposal to include a Pasifika team.

Next year is being treated, contractually, as a one-off due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19 which has made it impossible to plan with any certainty whether teams will be able to travel beyond their own national border.

Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan told Sky’s The Breakdown that he is backing a trans-Tasman competition for 2021.

“I would like a trans-Tasman competition. I think COVID is throwing up a whole lot of issues and I’m not sure where that’s going to land but ultimately we’ve got a really powerful Anzac block that we should be leveraging and working together,” McLennan said.

“I think we’re better players when we play against you guys (Kiwis). And it will only get better over time. We’ve got a good crop of young guys coming through and I think the competition will improve. And we’ve got to work together to leverage our strength together on the global stage.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    So South Africa who makes a lot of noise about moving to Europe every couple of years, usually around the time the TV deal is being negotiated, are surprised when NZ and Australia start making preparations for a competition without them.

Insert Surprised Pikachu meme.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    So South Africa who makes a lot of noise about moving to Europe every couple of years, usually around the time the TV deal is being negotiated, are surprised when NZ and Australia start making preparations for a competition without them.

Insert Surprised Pikachu meme.
    So everyone has got what they want...almost.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    So everyone has got what they want...almost.
    Unsurprisingly, the Kiwis are still bitching that they've been hard done by

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    OK - So with the departure of the South African Super Rugby teams to the Northern Hemisphere. Surely its time to shutdown the SANZAAR Organisation.

Its time for a ANZRU Partnership to lead Southern Hemisphere Rugby in to the new world. With both countries having an equal say.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    OK - So with the departure of the South African Super Rugby teams to the Northern Hemisphere. Surely its time to shutdown the SANZAAR Organisation.

Its time for a ANZRU Partnership to lead Southern Hemisphere Rugby in to the new world. With both countries having an equal say.
    But NZ will be more equal than Australia!

May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

The only thing is that SANZAAR run the RC. There is still a part for them to play and even expand to include other southern nations, we need to stay united in the south from a national level.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Pretty sure the Saffers aren't leaving the Rugby Championship so SANZAR would have to remain for Internationals

Edit5: I should have refreshed because TIF made the same point.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am sure I have read where South Africa are trying to enter the Six Nations Competition. If that is the case then SANZAAR is dead.

Exile
    Sydney

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would think that is only true if the SH moves the RC to the same window as 6N. If not, SA could play both and be the big winners.

vCash
    I'd imagine the players involved with the NH nations will object to potentially playing in the warmer months of the year in SA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'd imagine the players involved with the NH nations will object to potentially playing in the warmer months of the year in SA
    Yep. The ZA climate will be a giant hurdle going forward. Still, it would be interesting to see how the stronger SA franchises perform. The Cheetahs have been moderately successful. So there will be litigation if they try to push them aside. The Kings - underwhelming again.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David