Thread: _Michael Hooper to captain Wallabies under Dave Rennie

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

_Michael Hooper to captain Wallabies under Dave Rennie

TODAY AT 12:15 PM INTERNATIONAL
    by Christy Doran

New Zealander Dave Rennie has made the biggest call to date since coming on board as Wallabies coach by reappointing incumbent captain Michael Hooper to take his team forward.

While it's a new dawn in Australian rugby, Rennie has opted for the experience and hard-nosed approach of Hooper to drive the Wallabies forward in the post-Michael Cheika era. The next generation of Australian leaders like Fraser McReight and Liam Wright will have to wait.

During Cheika's six-year reign, the Wallabies coach was regularly accused of showing favourism and being "blue eyed" towards the Waratahs and, in particular, Hooper.

But Rennie's decision emphatically smashes the pedestal that many think Hooper stands on.

Hooper - barring injury - will lead the Wallabies out against the All Blacks on October 11 at Sky Stadium in Wellington for his 100th Test. He will become the quickest player in Test history to reach the century milestone.

Only George Gregan (59) and John Eales (55) have led the Wallabies on more occasions than Hooper (46), but Rennie's appointment should see the openside flanker become the longest serving Australian captain in the nation's history.

Ever since first addressing the Australian media on January 23, Rennie has made it crystal clear that he would pick his team first and captain next.

Form would be the driver of selection and for that reason he would wait until appointing his captain unlike the All Blacks who appointed Sam Cane as their skipper in May.

On Wednesday, Rennie said the decision to reappoint Hooper was an easy one given his consistency throughout 2020.

"I've been really impressed with Hoops," Rennie said.

"We've spoken a lot over the past nine months and it's highlighted his passion and commitment.

"He's a good man with an outstanding work ethic and he's a great role model for our young men coming through.

"He's keen to lead, and is highly respected by the Wallaby family. In the end his appointment was a straight forward decision."

Hooper became the youngest player in half-a-century when he was thrust into the role in 2014 as a 22-year-old when Stephen Moore went down with injury against the French in Brisbane.

Since then the boy from Manly has always said that captaincy is a "privilege" and not something he's craved nor sought.

On being appointed, Hooper maintained that stance and added that he was encouraged by what was brewing at the Wallabies in the early stages of the Rennie-era.

"It's an absolute honour to be the Wallabies captain and I want to thank Dave, the Wallabies management team as well as Rugby Australia for their support and endorsement," Hooper said in a statement.

"It's a privilege to wear the Wallabies jersey, I feel proud to lead my teammates and to represent those players that have before and all Australians.

"I'm really excited about this group and the direction we are heading. We have already spent some quality time together, defining who we are and what we stand for and what we play to achieve in the coming months."

Last month former teammate Stephen Hoiles and current Wallabies teammate Matt To'omua told RUGBY.com.au that appointing Hooper as captain was a "no-brainer".

"I think he's been a great captain and I think he's only going to get better," To'omua said.

"Yes, it hasn't been the most successful time but these are learning moments for him.

"I'd caution against (a change). He just has a wealth of knowledge and experience and that's all a part of it.

"I look back to England in 2015 and then where they went to in 2019, I don't think they get to the final in 2019 if they don't experience that hardship and, to me, that's how I see our journey with Australia as well.

Nor does the decision mean that Hooper will necessarily captain the Wallabies right throughout the four-year World Cup cycle.

Michael Hooper at Wallabies training on Tuesday at the Hunter Valley. Photo: Rugby Australia

Both of last year's World Cup finalists switched their captains midway through the previous four-year cycle, with Springboks back-rower Siya Kolisi taking over Warren Whiteley in 2018 and England playmaker Owen Farrell from Dylan Hartley.

A similar situation could take place with the Wallabies, with Hooper to turn 29 next month.

Nonetheless, his appointment means that he will wear the No.7 against the All Blacks next month.

Just who joins him in the back-row remains far from clear, with Brumbies duo Rob Valetini and Pete Samu the favourites to complete the back-row.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...by-dave-rennie

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    FFS

vCash
    So they picked the team on form, then they picked the captain?

does that mean that Dave Rennie thinks that Michael Hooper is the best Australian 7 IN THE WORLD?

The article suggests that this selection "smashes the pedestal that Michael Hooper sits on"

I would suggest it goes a lot further towards smashing Dave Rennie's credibility as a rugby coach

19 wins from 46 matches as Wallabies Captain
    since 2016 the Tahs have come 10th 16th 3rd and 12th

Hooper routinely tops tackle and hitup lists which means his job as a 7 is being done by somebody else.

I would suggest the selection of a slow centre in the forward pack is the reason why Brynard has been sent home

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So they picked the team on form, then they picked the captain?

does that mean that Dave Rennie thinks that Michael Hooper is the best Australian 7 IN THE WORLD?

The article suggests that this selection "smashes the pedestal that Michael Hooper sits on"

I would suggest it goes a lot further towards smashing Dave Rennie's credibility as a rugby coach

19 wins from 46 matches as Wallabies Captain
    since 2016 the Tahs have come 10th 16th 3rd and 12th

Hooper routinely tops tackle and hitup lists which means his job as a 7 is being done by somebody else.

I would suggest the selection of a slow centre in the forward pack is the reason why Brynard has been sent home
    You think Brynard Stander is the best 7 in Australia?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    You think Brynard Stander is the best 7 in Australia?
    No, I think you can't have a hybrid backrower like Stander in a limited size squad when you're burning one of your backrow spots to have an extra body in the backline. The genuine fletcher's might get a spot, unless rennie turns out like cheika and doesn't woryy about how to get the ball only what to do with it when the opposition hand it to you on a plate, the tall backrow will need to play to cover for hooper's height.

C'mon the