Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QANTAS Wallabies No more...

vCash

QANTAS Wallabies No more...

https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/qanta...9-91896d0f0351

Qantas will end its 30-year sponsorship of the Wallabies and cut off financial support for the national cricket and soccer teams as it desperately cuts costs amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The airline will offer "in-kind support" to Cricket Australia and Football Federation Australia, such as free flights and marketing, but will not pay any sponsorship fees for the next 12 months.

But its decision to cut ties with the Wallabies and Rugby Australia, ending a partnership that dates back to 1990, that threatens to have the biggest impact, with the 15-man code going through its most difficult period since the game went professional in 1995.

"In an environment where thousands of our people have lost jobs and thousands more are stood down while they wait for flying to restart, we can't maintain these sponsorships in the way we have in the past," Qantas' chief customer officer Stephanie Tully said in a statement.

"While we're dealing with this crisis and its aftermath, the cash cost of our sponsorships has to be zero.

"Qantas has had a very long association with Rugby Australia and the Wallabies, and we've stuck with each other during difficult times. Unfortunately, this pandemic has been the undoing."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...bc330f121857df

The coronavirus pandemic has forced Qantas to cease its 30-year sponsorship of the Wallabies in an attempt to save money.
    “In an environment where thousands of our people have lost jobs and thousands more are stood down while they wait for flying to restart, we can’t maintain these sponsorships in the way we have in the past,” Qantas’ chief customer officer Stephanie Tully said in a statement.

“While we’re dealing with this crisis and its aftermath, the cash cost of our sponsorships has to be zero.

Watch every match of the 2020 Bledisloe Cup & Rugby Championship Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

“Qantas has had a very long association with Rugby Australia and the Wallabies, and we’ve stuck with each other during difficult times. Unfortunately, this pandemic has been the undoing.”

Qantas will end its 30-year sponsorship with Rugby Australia and the Wallabies, to save money in current COVID crisis. In-kind (non cash) partnerships to continue with Cricket Australia, FFA, AOC and Paralympics Australia.

— Robyn Ironside (@ironsider) September 23, 2020
    Qantas ends 30-year sponsorship of Wallabies -- Covid financial pressures to blame, though Australian rugby hardly been great for a while so it's kinda convenient

— Will Davies (@WillMHDavies) September 23, 2020
    Breaking ... big story @smh @SMHsport

Qantas set to end 30-year Wallabies partnership. Will continue until end of the year but Rugby Australia now without a major sponsor. https://t.co/qwje85m1aI

— Tom Decent (@tomdecent) September 23, 2020
    Rugby Australia chief executive Rob Clorke was understanding of the decision given the financial circumstances.

“While it is obviously disappointing to lose such a loyal partner, it is understandable given the world we are all now living in, and the challenges we are all facing,” he said in a statement.

“There aren’t many 30-year partnerships in Australian sport, and I want to thank Qantas for everything they have done for our great game.

“Alan (Joyce) and his team have been transparent and collaborative in their discussions with us and they have now given us the opportunity to prepare for 2021 and beyond.

“While we have all felt the effects of COVID-19, Rugby in Australia is entering a very exciting new chapter. We have a Rugby Championship on home soil for the first-time ever in November, a new generation of Wallabies players keen to make their mark, a Lions Tour in 2025 and the opportunity to host a Rugby World Cup here in Australia in 2027.”

Qantas has supported the Wallabies for 30 years, choosing to support Rugby Australia in the aftermath of Israel Folau’s controversial social media posts.

Joyce said at the time that Qantas stood by the decision to tear up Folau’s contract while dismissing suggestions that he was responsible for the star’s sacking.

“We sponsor organisations and sports teams to get a positive benefit out of it,” Joyce told reporters then.

“When it becomes controversial, we, of course, want the sporting code to fix those issues.

“Israel’s comments were terrible for a large element of the community, a vulnerable element of the community.

“We felt that was causing controversy for our sponsorship and as a consequence, we asked Rugby Australia ‘what are you doing to make sure we’re not involved in controversy?’”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wasmute; 23-09-20 at 10:13.
    #FU ARU
    "May I assure you I have just begun to fight mate" Twiggy Forrest, 05/09/17

vCash
    so Israel Folau can play for the Wallabies again?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Israel who?

vCash
    Fortescue can step in and sponsor the Wallabies - once we get an iron clad 100 year participation agreement for the Western Force.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Fortescue can step in and sponsor the Wallabies - once we get an iron clad 100 year participation agreement for the Western Force.
    I would rather the Western Force sponsor the Wallabies, you know The Western Force Wallabies

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    There is nothing more satisfying for the soul than the smell of frying hubris.

vCash
    Well I was slightly taking the piss earlier but Oliver Peterson has reported on Twitter that FMG looks set to become the new naming rights sponsor of the Wallabies.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Well I was slightly taking the piss earlier but Oliver Peterson has reported on Twitter that FMG looks set to become the new naming rights sponsor of the Wallabies.
    Internet 0
    Jargs 1

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Internet 0
    Jargs 1
    Kneel before my Supreme Magnificence

Last edited by jargan83; 23-09-20 at 16:43.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    With the associated conditions that Twiggy has mentioned need to occur before he'd commit a cent to that snakepit?

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    With the associated conditions that Twiggy has mentioned need to occur before he'd commit a cent to that snakepit?
    Yeah, the Oliver Peterson thing may be premature, unconfirmed.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiap View Post
    Yeah, the Oliver Peterson thing may be premature, unconfirmed.
    Nothing on Chnl 9 or AU website rugby.com.au

Still all the other recent rumours turned out to be true

vCash
    Rob Clarke has denied it so it must be true.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Israel who?
    Zoot alorz!! Shirley vous comprendre le Mungo celebre de Perpignon. Les Pyrenees sont dans Queensland.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast