Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Force Squad - The List

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Fwiw I really want to see her back up and running with the force entering a development team
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Our costs would be mitigated because our players are already in Super Rugby. If we could get fringe players and the academy more game time, we would be doing great with development and retention.

I suspect the Pacific islands will be angling into a trans Tasman competition. I imagine the likes of Malaysia, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc would be your target.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The PI teams might look to a trans-Tasman, but they would need to be competitive. Based on the standard of their teams, I would see GRR as a much more natural fit for both them and any Japanese involvement with SH rugby. Even more so as a financial fit, as they should have a direct say in the running and outcomes of the comp instead of being a lodger in someone else's. Japan has already seen how that can play out.

vCash
    I'd imagine Australia is rather attractive for at least next year as well given its relative security from COVID.
    Recruitment should also be easier this year with some actual certainty over the future competition and the force being a part of it.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The Benefits of a GRR continuing and the inclusion of a Baby Force or a Force "A" side would be too huge to ignore.

I guess the only provision that counts is the Forrest Family, and

Asia Rugby wanting to be involved?

Would the Perth-based Sea of Blue show up on Home game days to support?

Would there be money in the TV rights?

Would there be interest in those TV rights outside of Asia?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That would be the key indeed. However there would need to be a big step change in thinking away from it being some sort of 'Australian' competition for the benefit of the Force or anyone else, in into it being a Asian competition that all teams were involved in as equals and the mechanism to increase involvement with SH rugby. That is why I see Japan as needing to take a significant lead, as it is realistically them and eventually China that would be underpinning the comp long term.

Champion
    vCash
    No, they are not under the salary cap as I understand but that could change next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I guess the only provision that counts is the Forrest Family, andAsia Rugby wanting to be involved?Would the Perth-based Sea of Blue show up on Home game days to support?Would there be money in the TV rights? Would there be interest in those TV rights outside of Asia?
    In orderI think so, twiggys been very vocal about this being a pathway deal, not simply saving the force, so the real issue will be how far he wants to reach in his pocket.Yes, the comp is(was) headquartered in Hong Kong, that locks it squarely into AsiaI think so, maybe not in the numbers that would follow super rugby, but you'd need to remember, the side would be predominantly WA boys who have clubmates and mums and dads, there would be a flow into super rugby as the program builds locals to the right level and, of course, Perth crowds love a winner, so success will take care of a lot of thatI think unlikely for Oz, unless Fox want to kick off a pissing match of some sort.Perhaps piggy back it onto the current deal. In Fiji, Tonga and Samoa I think the rights would go off as long as selections were right.Pretty sure the last answer is definitely no, but that's not a reason to avoid the comp

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    With respect to the rights, it is obviously all about Asia. Within Australia you are probably looking at one of the international streaming options, as I doubt any of the normal options would be interested if there is no appeal to the ES. That said, if the comp needed Australian broadcasting money to be viable, the model is wrong anyway.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Tigers back to join Super Rugby side on loan

Leicester Tigers outside-back Jordan Olowofela will join the Western Force on loan for the 2021 Super Rugby season.

The 22-year-old has made 41 senior appearances for Leicester since his debut in 2017 after graduating from the Tigers Academy and represented England Under-20s in 2018.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news...n-force-210228

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Steve Borthwick has a strong connection to Perth I think? Didn’t he do some coaching for the Force one year?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Steve Borthwick has a strong connection to Perth I think? Didn’t he do some coaching for the Force one year?
    Yes he did, it is mentioned in this story. I'd totally forgotten to be honest.Good memory Alison

Western Force sign young England international speedster Jordan Olowofela from Leicester Tigers
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Mon, 1 March 2021 4:15PM

Western Force have signed England under-20 star Jordan Olowofela on a one-year loan deal from English heavyweight Leicester Tigers.
    Olowofela, 22, who can play both centre and wing, was key to England’s run to the 2018 junior World Cup final and has been invited to senior England squad training.He scored two tries in the opening win over Argentina and added another in the final defeat by France.
    He made his Leicester debut four years ago in the Anglo Welsh Cup against Bath and has made 41 premiership appearances since his breakthrough in the 2018-19 season.
    “I am really excited about this opportunity and looking forward to linking up with the Western Force for the Super Rugby season,” Olowofela said.
    “The chance to live in Australia and test myself in a competition like Super Rugby is exciting. I am grateful the club got me this chance for a new and different challenge.”
    Force head of rugby Matt Hodgson was full of praise for the 22-year-old.
    “Jordan is an exciting young player who adds further balance to our squad,” he said.
    “He has been a top-class performer on the wing for Leicester Tigers and will strengthen our outside back stocks, as well as creating additional competition within the squad.”
    Tigers coach Steve Borthwick, who had a coaching stint with the Force in 2016, said: “In this unique season, with limited opportunities for all players to get game time, this opportunity presents a chance for Jordan to get valuable experience in his development.
    “Jordan can gain both rugby and life experience in a different environment and culture.
    “I am excited to see the progress he makes in Super Rugby and am confident he will represent our club in a way that will make everybody at Tigers proud.
    “We are extremely grateful to the Force for presenting this opportunity to a Leicester Tigers player and the productive process in making it happen.”
    Meanwhile a fourth Force academy member, 18-year-old Luke Callan, has been called into the junior Wallabies squad ahead of the Oceania under-20s championship.
    The second-rower came back to rugby last season after a stint in rugby league with the London Broncos to join his brother Ollie, a Force player, at the Wanneroo club.
    He only joined the academy three months ago and joins other local rising stars back-rower Alex Masibaka (Associates), scrum-half Reece Anapu (Palmyra) and second row Connor Seve (Wests Scarborough) in the national squad.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great news re Luke Callan!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's interesting (and also great) to have so many locks in our academy. Luke Callan, Connor Seve and Jackson Pugh. It's an area Australia rugby will be short on going forward so great to have some guys in the academy.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I wonder whether Mindaroo are trying to get Leicester to be the mystery 7th home game. I think it'd be difficult with Covid restrictions, mind

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    42 Players Signed with 6 of those in the Wider Training Squad, so a 36 player squad.

10 in the Emerging Player Squad of which 4 have Junior Wallabies call ups

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast