Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Force Squad - The List

vCash
    Why didn’t he come directly to WA in the first place?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Simple. Flight availability. There are thousands trying to get here. We had some family members from SA could only get to Melbourne - in the middle of 2nd wave. 2 weeks hotel Q there, then 2 weeks at home in Parafield SA. No sooner finished that and they were locked down 4 days after the Parafield pizza cook bullshitted the authorities. It's playing havoc everywhere - and we're only 5 weeks out.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    and now QLDers have to wear masks whilst in a car - alone.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Did you know that out of nowhere both Heathrow and Singapore airports were closed?

I suggest this may have disrupted travel plans such that the Argentinians could come directly to Perth while Kearney had to come into Oz via Brisbane.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    RA is going to need to make some big decisions pretty soon...

Champion
    vCash
    I fear it will be something like the Force having to live for 3 months in a bubble somewhere on the east coast again.

I wonder if the Force players and other sports teams will be able to get the vaccine early in the queue in March? Essential workers !!
    Will they be free to travel backwards and forwards then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Will they be free to travel backwards and forwards then?
    I doubt they will be given preference over the vulnerable. An interesting question though. The health authorities have already said that vaccination will not counter quarantine for incoming travelers from overseas, possibly for years.
    I haven't seen anything about how domestic travel will be affected. Hopefully it won't.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    What new CEO Tony Lewis will bring to Western Force in WA return
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Sun, 10 January 2021 2:00AM

New Western Force chief executive Tony Lewis.

New Western Force chief executive Tony Lewis knew he would be back in Perth one day — it’s just taken a little longer than he hoped.

The New Zealander first arrived in WA for the America’s Cup, stayed three years, got married and taught and coached rugby at Trinity College.

He had “retired” from rugby with a knee injury but was persuaded to pull on the boots again to play for Western Suburbs, now Wests Scarborough, and made three WA appearances.

“I hobbled around for two years,” said Lewis who helped build Tasman Mako into a NZ provincial powerhouse, culminating in back-to-back Mitre 10 premierships.

“We left Perth in 1989 for London but always thought we’d come back. We just haven’t got back as quickly as we hoped.”

In London he coached with legendary Scotland and British Lions coach Sir Ian McGeechan at London Scottish. Before moving to Tasman eight years ago Lewis was general manager at Shute Shield club Randwick and NSW cricket high performance and player welfare manager.

“I wasn’t looking round for a job but got a call from Colin Mansbridge, chief executive of the Crusaders,” he said. “He said after seven good years had I thought about going for a Super gig, but the right one had not come up for me.

“Colin said ‘what about the Force?’ He’d had a call to say they were on the look-out for someone and recommended me.

“I went away for a couple of days to think about it and couldn’t think of one damn good reason why I wouldn’t throw my hat in the ring.

“I knew I had another job in me and it’s sitting right in front of me. There was never a ‘No, I don’t want to do this.’ It was ‘How can we make this work.’

“It was the right thing to do. I was ready for a change. It’s been a breath of fresh air. I can’t wait to get on the plane.”

Lewis in his younger playing days. Credit: supplied/supplied
    Lewis spoke with mining magnate Andrew Forrest who has bankrolled the Force resurrection since they were controversially axed by Rugby Australia.

“It was a good conversation. It reinforced my belief that this was an exciting opportunity,” Lewis said. “He is a man with great vision who wants WA to be the No.1 State for rugby in Australia.

“Someone with a vision like that and a passion like that ... I can’t wait to get on the ship with him.”

Lewis helped build the Mako on the back of a strong academy that became a production line for the All Backs and growing a local pathway system in WA is a priority.

Forrest, who has said he wants “WA to have the best academy system across all of Australian sport,” has already pledged $5 million to a grassroots-to-elite rugby program.

“It’s a really simple recipe,” Lewis said. “You ensure the people of WA believe that there is a pathway for local talent.

“If you can offer that to the sportsmen and women of WA, attract the best and retain them you are half way there.

“Then you work out where you are a little bit weak and you start recruiting nationally to fill the gaps. I’m not talking 21, 22, 23 years old. I’m talking at 16, 17,18 so they become true believers.

“The academy program underpins community rugby. The academy and clubs must work in unison.”

Lewis plans to be in Perth in time for the Force first Super game against the Brumbies on February 19 at HBF Park.

Argentinian Julian Montaya’s arrival has been delayed by visa problems and Ireland and British Lions full-back Rob Kearney may also arrive later than expected.

Rookie
    vCash
    Great to hear that Montoya is still coming

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    By my calculation the Argentinians should be out of quarantine and able to join the players on Tuesday (12th).
    Welcome to the Perth heat lads.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Welcome to the Perth heat lads.
    Good idea, take them to a baseball game to get them acclimatised.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Rob Kearney has made it to Perth!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881767550z

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I hope that is zinc on Rob’s neck.

Not sure if Super Rugby will suit him here. Counter attacking and lack of footwork are his weaknesses. Probably more suited to the South African comp.

He will give the Force a left foot option at the back.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    From the sound of the article, Kearney's fiancée (Jess Redden) should get on with Jo Hodgson!

The ABC news story said that Kearney already wants to prolong his stay in Perth (although he's hardly likely to say anything else!)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    I hope that is zinc on Rob’s neck.

Not sure if Super Rugby will suit him here. Counter attacking and lack of footwork are his weaknesses. Probably more suited to the South African comp.

He will give the Force a left foot option at the back.
    Hi Bakkies.
    We will find about your thoughts on Kearney above, in about 5 weeks time against your Brumbies

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast