Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Signing Spree

vCash
    [QUOTE=GIGS20;477464]Speed on the outside and a lock,

At this point any lock is a good signing.

Except Rob Simmons...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Still concerned about the stocks at 10
    Aren't we well covered at 10 with Lance, Iglesias, McIntyre, McGregor and Prior??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Plenty of names (and I must say I don't know much about Iglesias or McIntyre) I'm concerned we don't have enough quality.

McGregor and prior certainly are emergencies only, being considered for other roles.

I wasn't impressed with lance last year, great guy, hard worker, but we need more than that.

If one of the others can be the live wire, we'll be OK, but the only highlights I've seen from Iglesias are tackles (not a bad thing that he can tackle but...)

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

If one of the others can be the live wire, we'll be OK, but the only highlights I've seen from Iglesias are tackles (not a bad thing that he can tackle but...)
    I know this is probably a throw-away comment. But if I may offer some Rugby wisdom.

Whilst scoring tries is an important part of winning a Rugby match. Preventing the opposition from scoring is just as, if not, more important to the winning of a match.

A lot of Wallabies coaches have forgotten this important fact over the last couple of years. Defense isn't sexy. It doesn't make the TV highlights but it sure is important.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    I put this somewhere else but Have I missed something because I can't remember seeing anything to say we've signed Jake McIntyre

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    I put this somewhere else but Have I missed something because I can't remember seeing anything to say we've signed Jake McIntyre
    I have also never seen any Force announcement on McIntyre's signing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I know this is probably a throw-away comment. But if I may offer some Rugby wisdom.

Whilst scoring tries is an important part of winning a Rugby match. Preventing the opposition from scoring is just as, if not, more important to the winning of a match.

A lot of Wallabies coaches have forgotten this important fact over the last couple of years. Defense isn't sexy. It doesn't make the TV highlights but it sure is important.
    Not what I'm saying bro (I did suggest that it isn't a bad thing)

A flyhalf who is only a tackler (ie has done NOTHING OF NOTE in attack) would you consider that a positive or a negative?

That being said, it might just be that there isn't enough video of him with the ball, or he's actually a really well rounded player but his defense gets noticed because it's quite rare in modern flyhalves.

we actually have some really good defensive options in the midfield, what we're lacking (and I hope is present in 2021) is some attacking flair.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Pretty sure Iglesias scored a try against the Wallabies in 2018 with some dazzling feet.

Edit: He did. In the Salta capitulation. If he can do that at test level...

Last edited by James; 31-10-20 at 06:21.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Rugby Confidential: All Blacks warn NRL Bulldogs, Steve Hansen off poaching
    Jamie Pandaram and Julian Linden, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
    October 29, 2020 10:06pm
    He might be coaching royalty in New Zealand but Steve Hansen’s been given a prod from his successor to leave the All Blacks alone.

Hansen’s shock decision to accept a new job as a high-performance consultant with the Bulldogs has left everyone on both sides of the Tasman shaking their heads in disbelief that he would join the 13-player code.

After winning two World Cups with the All Blacks, one as an assistant and another as head coach, Hansen’s stocks in New Zealand are so high that he can do anything he wants - but with one big exception, as the current All Blacks coach Ian Foster was quick to remind him.

“I’m excited for him. I’m sure he’ll do that stuff really, really well, working with other coaches,” Foster said.

“I had a call with him today and told him I’d banned all our backs answering any calls they get from him.

“It’ll be great for him and I know personally his ability to assist young coaches and help them grow is going to be fantastic so I’m sure that the Bulldogs will benefit greatly from him.”

SCRUM DOCTOR ARRIVES
    New Wallabies scrum coach Petrus du Plessis could make a shock appearance at ANZ Stadium for the third Bledisloe Cup match – which would be the first time he’s met most of the players face-to-face.

We hear that du Plessis is in the final days of hotel quarantine, and there’s a chance his he could be out in time to attend the must-win match against the All Blacks.

Having worked with Wallabies coach Dave Rennie at Glasgow, du Plessis was given the job of Australia’s scrum coach in September, but due to COVID-19 has been forced to do his work via Zoom conference calls.

He has been in regular contact with Wallabies forwards via the video conferencing app but may finally be able to shake their hands on Saturday.

The South African-born 39-year-old is relocating to Australia with his wife and children.

He will join Rennie, attack coach Scott Wisemantel, defence coach Matt Taylor, and lineout coach Geoff Parling in the Wallabies’ coaching set-up.

TAH EXODUS
    The Waratahs are in serious danger of finishing last in next year’s Super Rugby AU tournament given the quality stars they’re losing.

Michael Hooper, Ned Hanigan will miss the season after signing stints in Japan, Rob Simmons and Tom Staniforth are off to Europe, and Tom Robertson will switch to Western Force.

While the Force couldn’t win a game in this year’s competition, they’re building a roster for 2021, with Argentinian halfback Tomas Cubelli and hooker Julian Montoya joining Ireland’s Rob Kearney, Tevita Kuridrani, Jake McIntyre, Kyle Godwin and former All Black Richard Kahui in Perth.

Melbourne Rebels have a strong pack, while Queensland will look to overtake the Brumbies in the pecking order.

Tahs fans may be in for a rough slog in 2021.

TIGER WOODS
    Eastwood coach Ben Batger is relishing the Shute Shield‘s rare visit to Leichhardt Oval for Saturday’s grand final against Gordon.

Batger was a diehard Balmain Tigers fan in the 1980s and ‘90s when Steve Edmed's was first carting the ball up in the pack.

Edmed's son Tane is now the 20-year-old Eastwood five-eighth who can steer the club’s first premiership side since 2015.

“I‘m actually rapt to be playing at Leichhardt Oval for the first time...it takes me back to when I first became a Tigers fan and Garry Jack was my favourite player,” Batger told our former colleague and rugby writing great Jim Tucker this week.

Batger has a high rating for NSW Waratahs squad member Edmed.

“He‘s really benefited from everything a full season of club footy throws at you and I just see a 20-year-old playing like a 10-year veteran every game he plays,” Batger said.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

Senior Player
    vCash
    So, Jakey boy has got a mention.

He is an OK ten but still yet to stamp his mark IMO.

Maybe his time is coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Pretty sure Iglesias scored a try against the Wallabies in 2018 with some dazzling feet. Edit: He did. In the Salta capitulation. If he can do that at test level...
    Great, I was only recounting the fact that when I searched for a highlight reel all I saw was big tackles. Again good defense is not a bad thing to have. I'm calmed a bit to hear that somebody has seen him do something good in attack.

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks but that is nothing official. It's pandaram I'd like to see something with credibility

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Thanks but that is nothing official. It's pandaram I'd like to see something with credibility
    sorry mate- was the best/only thing I could find.

Exile
    Sydney

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I think Dom Hardman is signed too
    I hope so.

He's doing a job so far in the Shute final.

vCash
    Confirmation from Jake McIntyre that he is heading this way:

McIntyre will head back to Australia before December and has signed a contract with the Western Force ........

News24.com

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast