Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Signing Spree

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think someone posted that the usual suspects @ GAGR are bleating about that already. Karma is a bitch.

Personally, I'm in favour of that as long as distribution of funding and Wallaby contracting are equalised. I don't really want to see AF footing the entire bill going forward.

However if he likes to provide state-of-the-art facilities and fund an academy as well as providing the odd TPP, I wouldn't be too perturbed.
    Refer them back to their comments 3 years ago, fake money, hot air, self promotion, the 70mill is not real, etc etc

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Could do worse than having the Smith Brothers sign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    Our Force owner and Ed coaches/leaders are obviously convinced the Force will be playing elite rugby somewhere in 2021 and 2022 and convincing themselves and elite players to sign 2 year contracts. I am convinced they are correct. No other side in in Australia appears to able to sign contracts yet, so lets clean up with the player we need and want, while the others have their hands tied waiting for a TV contract.
    The Brumbies are penning players to new deals but no one has been recruited from outside the organisation.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wallabies star signs with Force
    September 21, 2020
    Super Rugby AU champion Tevita Kuridrani will move west to join the Western Force for the 2021 season.

Kuridrani burst onto the international scene just a year after making his Super Rugby debut in 2012, winning his first Wallabies cap in 2013 against the All Blacks in Sydney.

The Fijian-born centre joins the club from the newly-crowned Super Rugby AU 2020 champions, the ACT Brumbies, where he has spent his entire illustrious Super Rugby career so far.

Kuridrani established himself as Australia’s premier number 13, scoring a try against New Zealand in the 2015 World Cup final and finishing as the Wallabies’ top try-scorer during the 2016 season after a world-class Spring Tour.

In 2017, he enjoyed a historic Wallabies campaign as he became the 28th player to score 100 career Test points for Australia.

The powerful 29-year-old, known for his explosive running and elite off-load skills, has won a total of 61 caps for the Wallabies, while also earning selection for coveted invitational side the Barbarians.

Kuridrani says he can’t wait to begin a new chapter in his career and take on the fresh challenges that await him at the Force.

“I’m really excited to be joining the Western Force and being in a new environment,” Kuridrani explained.

“I played with Kyle Godwin at the Brumbies, so I’m looking forward to playing alongside him again.”

Head of rugby Matt Hodgson believes Kuridrani is a massive addition for the club.

“This is a top-class signing that further bolsters our midfield,” Hodgson said.

“He brings a wealth of experience, professionalism and athleticism to the squad. To have made over 60 appearances for the Wallabies and scoring 100 points is no small feat, so to have a player of Kuridrani’s stature at the Western Force is simply fantastic.”

Head coach Tim Sampson echoed Hodgson’s thoughts.

“We are delighted to have secured a player of his calibre for next season,” Sampson said.

“Tevita is a class player and has contributed immensely to Australian rugby over the years. I remember watching him when he first came onto the scene as a youngster in Brisbane and suspected then he was a player who was going to go all the way.

“The discussions I have had with Tevita, he is very excited about moving to Perth, knuckling down and starting fresh at a new club.”

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    No mention of the length of the contract, so I assume it's one year

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Champion
    vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    Is that a gee up? Why are more over the hill players being signed? No offence but would rather we started more of the young fellas to give them more exposure. Just see this as another safety option and more young guys getting into their prime missing out or spending most games on the bench then only getting 10- 15 mins of game time generally when the games gone.

Champion
    vCash
    I think it’s great! What a player to learn from and all the experience he brings!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Is that a gee up? Why are more over the hill players being signed? No offence but would rather we started more of the young fellas to give them more exposure. Just see this as another safety option and more young guys getting into their prime missing out or spending most games on the bench then only getting 10- 15 mins of game time generally when the games gone.
    I dunno mate- Look at the value Jeremy Thrush has bought to the team.

His performance in this year's SuperRugby-AU was impressive. From someone who would be considered over-the-hill.

He led by example and left it all on the field. His value to the team during the match and on the training paddock is huge.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    Western Force linked to legendary Ireland, British Lions fullback Rob Kearney for next season
    Headshot of Nick Taylor
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Fri, 25 September 2020 8:45AM
    Nick Taylor
    Picture: Rob Kearney has been linked to the Western Force.
    Picture: Rob Kearney has been linked to the Western Force. Credit: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile via Getty Images

Western Force have been linked to legendary Ireland and British Lions fullback Rob Kearney for next season.

The highly decorated star is reportedly close to signing a deal with the Force after 15 seasons with his native Leinster.

Kearney, 34, had been looking at options in Japan and with French club Brive but the Force now seem favourites to snare the international.

The 95-times capped full-back is a two-time Grand Slam winner, won two more Six Nations titles, was a two-time Lions tourist and played 219 games for his province.

He won four Champions Cups with Leinster, one Challenge Cup and six PRO14 titles.

We are live. Tune in.

Don't miss the latest sports news!

Was$13now $7 per week for 12 weeks* (Digital + Print)

Enjoy unlimited access to thewest.com.au and everyday digital editions on any device.

Plus Thursday - Monday papers home delivered with all of the latest footy news!

SUBSCRIBE NOW
    Already a Subscriber? Log in*T&Cs apply
    Reports say Kearney had been searching for a move overseas as a fresh challenge but his options have been limited by the financial constraints of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I am so very grateful for every run out that I did get in a Leinster and an Ireland jersey,” Kearney wrote in a lengthy open letter published yesterday.

REPRO FREE***PRESS RELEASE NO REPRODUCTION FEE***
    British & Irish Lions Squad, Tour To Australia 2013 30/4/2013
    Rob Kearney
    Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Billy Stickland
    REPRO FREE***PRESS RELEASE NO REPRODUCTION FEE*** British & Irish Lions Squad, Tour To Australia 2013 30/4/2013 Rob Kearney Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Billy Stickland Credit: ©INPHO/Billy Stickland
    “I spoke to the players in the dressing room after the game and I spoke about living a dream because that is what I have done.

“I have lived the dream of every five-year-old boy or girl out there that dreams of pulling on a Leinster jersey, an Ireland jersey, a Lions jersey.

“I consider myself very fortunate to have done the greatest thing that I could have done with my life and I have lived the dreams that I first had as a young lad in Dundalk RFC with the minis.”

Kearney made no mention of retirement in the open letter, leaving the door ajar for his career to be continued elsewhere.

Force head of football Matt Hodgson revealed to The West Australian two weeks ago that the club was ready to "pull some triggers" in the transfer market.

They have already signed powerful Wallabies centre Tevita Kuridrani from the Brumbies, Wallabies and Waratahs prop Tom Robertson, brought home fellow midfielder Kyle Godwin and retained scrum-half and captain Ian Prior.

More announcements are expected to follow shortly.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881676603z

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    I hear your concern, but I am sure the plan is to bolster the team with half a dozen high quality players, who can help make the Force competitive and give young WA guys some wins to build confidence and experience.
    X is quite right to point at the value Thrush has brought to the team. These older imports are not going to block the path of our young players for 5-10 years, like if you recruited a bunch of 25 year old stars.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I hear your concern, but I am sure the plan is to bolster the team with half a dozen high quality players, who can help make the Force competitive and give young WA guys some wins to build confidence and experience.
    X is quite right to point at the value Thrush has brought to the team. These older imports are not going to block the path of our young players for 5-10 years, like if you recruited a bunch of 25 year old stars.
    Spot on both of you. The re-emergence of the Force needs a little time to replenish the local Premier Grade with experienced players looking for an opportunity too. That helps develop said young players locally as happened during the "boom years". Opportunity brings improvement - even more so than scaffolding jobs and flat screen TV's.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    True, but there is a difference between signing a 35 year old lock and a 34 year old back.

It really all depends upon what his role will be in the organisation, If he's here not so much to play, but to pass on his extensive experience and knowledge I'd suggest it's a boom signing. If they're looking for him to fill a jersey every week in preference to giving blood to a young go-getter then it's likely to be a step backward.

We all saw Kahui this year, he did some brilliant things (that kick to Brynard for his try will live in my internal highlight reel for a long time) but on the balance of things, he probably wasn't they guy we needed on the park every week. If he can pass that class on.......brilliant!

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    True, but there is a difference between signing a 35 year old lock and a 34 year old back.

It really all depends upon what his role will be in the organisation, If he's here not so much to play, but to pass on his extensive experience and knowledge I'd suggest it's a boom signing. If they're looking for him to fill a jersey every week in preference to giving blood to a young go-getter then it's likely to be a step backward.

We all saw Kahui this year, he did some brilliant things (that kick to Brynard for his try will live in my internal highlight reel for a long time) but on the balance of things, he probably wasn't they guy we needed on the park every week. If he can pass that class on.......brilliant!
    Richard Kahui made the most of what he was given. And, I don't believe that he was given much. The ball he received from those inside of him was generally very poor. It's hard to create opportunities when you are starting on the backfoot.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast