Thread: Force, Waratahs Wallabies hopefuls gather

Senior Player
    vCash

Force, Waratahs Wallabies hopefuls gather

Force, Waratahs Wallabies hopefuls gather
    Murray Wenzel

Western Force trio Kyle Godwin, Feleti Kaitu'u and Brynard Stander have been asked to remain in Sydney and join a host of NSW Waratahs players vying for a Wallabies berth later this year.

A players of national interest (PONI) squad will this week train at the Waratahs' Daceyville base under new national team coach Dave Rennie's assistant Scott Wisemantel and fitness guru John Pryor.

Incumbent Wallabies captain Michael Hooper and 11 other Waratahs, including next-generation talents James Ramm and Angus Bell, have been included.

Others will join from whichever team loses Saturday's Super Rugby AU preliminary final between the Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels.

All players in camp will operate under the same biosecurity measures they've followed during the season, with the Force trio unable to return home without facing more quarantine time.

The Wallabies' official Rugby Championship squad will be 46-strong, given nobody can join their bubble once the tournament begins.

While there is confidence the Wallabies will host two Tests against New Zealand in October, the likelihood of a Rugby Championship in New Zealand in November is more dim.

Rugby Australia expects SANZAAR to make a call on November's Rugby Championship by Friday, with Argentina's squad in hard lock down after six positive coronavirus cases last week.

The two Bledisloe Cup Tests could be the national side's only action this year, although would be rescheduled if Australia is preferred over New Zealand to host a salvaged Rugby Championship.

Meanwhile, Gold Coast-based Rennie will keep a close eye on Saturday's playoff in Brisbane, where the Reds boast an array of young talents pushing for Test caps.

Back-row trio Liam Wright, Harry Wilson and Fraser McReight were effective in their win against the Brumbies, who will await the winner of the Reds and Rebels in the final.

Emerging fullback Jock Campbell was electric again in his favoured position, while incumbent Wallabies halfback Nic White waged war with up-and-coming Reds No.9 Tate McDermott.

Brumbies coach Dan McKellar set the scene for a potential rematch post-game, challenging officials to have a closer eye on Reds prop Taniela Tupou's scrum tactics.

PONI SQUAD: Angus Bell, Jack Dempsey, Tom Horton, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ned Hanigan, Lachie Swinton, Michael Hooper, Jake Gordon, Will Harrison, Jack Maddocks, James Ramm (Waratahs); Kyle Godwin, Feleti Kaitu'u, Brynard Stander (Force).
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-u...r-ng-s-2028457

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Fergus can count himself very unlucky not to have made it into the squad. Well done Rennie for picking force players in the Wallabies training squad and for showing your intention for the Wallabies to be a truly national team. Well done to all three but especially Stander who has committed to the new Force from the beginning despite the uncertainty surrounding WA rugby.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Interesting that Feleti is in there.

Very disappointed for Fergus

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Stander has been a standout performer for the whole comp. Actually for many years. Recognised by a coach with no preconceptions. Very well deserved.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    If a Force players actually gets game time I might reverse my opinion that the Wallabies are dead to me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    If a Force players actually gets game time I might reverse my opinion that the Wallabies are dead to me.
    I definitely will.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!