Thread: Wallabies captain Michael Hooper seals shock Japan move

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Wallabies captain Michael Hooper seals shock Japan move

August 26, 2020 10:25pm
    ZAC RAYSON
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Wallabies captain Michael Hooper has accepted a shock move to Japan to play with Toyota Verblitz.
    Hooper has inked a six-month deal for the first half of 2021, after which he will return to the NSW Waratahs – and the Wallabies.

Former Waratahs assistant coach Simon Cron is now the head coach at Toyota, while former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen is the club’s director of rugby.

“This is a great opportunity for me to learn in a new rugby environment and develop a different perspective on the game,” Hooper said.

“I’m really excited in the direction of rugby in Australia both at a Super Rugby level and at the Wallabies too under Dave (Rennie).

“The Super Rugby AU competition this year has unearthed some really good young talent and they are all keeping me on my toes.”

The Aussie flanker copped a massive pay-cut as Rugby Australia was hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, with Hooper sacrificing approximately two-third of his estimated $1.2 million-per-year salary.

Under that pay deal, Rugby Australia offered star players the opportunity to spend six months overseas – or out of the game.

It’s a lucrative opportunity that Hooper has now taken advantage of, while fellow Wallabies Matt To’omua and Dane Haylett-Petty have also ben linked to sabbatical deals in Japan next year.

He will miss most – if not all – of the 2021 Super Rugby season for the Waratahs, but will be available for the Wallabies if any Tests can be organised in the final few months of this year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No surprise, been waiting for the shoes to start dropping after the pay cut deal. Good opportunity for them, and those mentioned so far are unlikely to be the last. Likelihood is that they'll only be missing a replay of this year anyway.

vCash
    So sad that Hooper can only earn $400K a year in Australia during this pandemic. Hard to survive on that.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    So sad that Hooper can only earn $400K a year in Australia during this pandemic. Hard to survive on that.
    We dont need Hooper at the Force, but it is a pity that DHP could not be lured back to the Force for next years Super, rather playing in Japan, if we are the only franchise paying full salaries.
    But Hooper and DHP might find the COVID19 travels restrictions still in place in 2021 and the Japanese comp cancelled again. Though who knows what is going to happen in Aus or AUS/NZ.

vCash
    Getting paid $400k to do a job vs $1 million to do the same job?

Sayonara suckers!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Getting paid $400k to do a job vs $1 million to do the same job?

Sayonara suckers!
    That's not a VS Jargs its a +

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    We dont need Hooper at the Force, but it is a pity that DHP could not be lured back to the Force for next years Super, rather playing in Japan, if we are the only franchise paying full salaries.
    But Hooper and DHP might find the COVID19 travels restrictions still in place in 2021 and the Japanese comp cancelled again. Though who knows what is going to happen in Aus or AUS/NZ.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see more Rebels players leave Melbourne. Covid is a good enough reason why. Can’t play home matches, if you have them kids can’t go to school and you can’t go more than 5km from your house. Some Rebels players take over an hour to get to training.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    ... and you can’t go more than 5km from your house. Some Rebels players take over an hour to get to training.
    Given Melbourne traffic, this might still be less than 5 km

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon