Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: State of Union, Super 8 Series among new additions in Rugby AU broadcast offering

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    While it may hurt in the short term to be based in NZ for season 1, in the long term (2022 and beyond) it will be much more beneficial both from a player perspective and commercial perspective.
    If McLennan sanctions the Aotearoa comp being played within Australia in 2022, as was done for GRR then all will be fine.

Otherwise we're in rebel league territory, which might not be so good for NZR playing test matches and World Rugby comps. The All Blacks might become the NZ Cavalliers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    As bad as that situation is, McGowan has already said that the state borders may be closed until Mid-next year so even if we are in an Australian domestic competition we might still be in the same situation.
    Set up the 'air-bridge' system touted for European travel between WA and NZ (used to be direct flights Perth-Auckland) and we can have home games, with crowds!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If AF is interested in parking a team in NZ next year, I would suggest it would actually be a GRR team (maybe continue the BoP thing, or even the Islands link?) rather than Force team. If it was the Force, it would only pick a fight with RA and there's never been any appetite for that. Even more so if there was ever any thought of games in Perth...as Ham says, that could wind up in front of WR.

vCash
    i just hope that NZ get 1 extra NZ team so i can watch 3 decent games of rugby instead of 2.
    i don't think any of that content offered by RA will get any viewers.
    do they really think showing Hospital Challenge Cup & Selected schools matches is going to attract viewers and sports fans from other codes?

cider my arse

vCash
    Granted there is a lot of water to go under the bridge until Rugby season kicks off in 2021, but unless NSW and Victoria eliminate community transmission of Covid-19 any discussion about a Trans Tasman comp is going to be nothing but a discussion.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    Am I correct in saying no more NRC?

Sounds like NSW and QLD have walked in with a shopping list and got everything they want - state of origin, club championship (which will be basically the big shute shield and hospital cup teams plus 1 club from ACT, Melbourne and Perth)
    The NRC is an interesting question. Not being in the broadcast package isn't a good sign, but as far as I've seen it hasn't directly been announced as scrapped.

The NRC probably still has support in most places outside Sydney - e.g. QRU were spruiking the NRC as recently as 12 days ago:

The development of elite talent like Paisami through the Queensland pathway is a clear strategy for the QRU and is why Queensland Rugby continues to place importance on the NRC and also Queensland Premier Rugby.

So, if 4 of 5 unions are in, it might still make a comeback. Who knows, maybe some merge with GRR post-Covid, if GRR is not also buried?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cedric rainwater View Post
    i just hope that NZ get 1 extra NZ team so i can watch 3 decent games of rugby instead of 2.
    i don't think any of that content offered by RA will get any viewers.
    do they really think showing Hospital Challenge Cup & Selected schools matches is going to attract viewers and sports fans from other codes?
    Apparently, yes they do really think that! Clarke describes the whole package as revolutionary. Can’t see it myself, but then I’m just a sandgroper who knows nothing about the ‘real world’ of rugby in Australia.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Don't see the point in having BOTH a Super Eights and a Trans-Tasman comp, it sounds redundant. Also, why have a "Super Rugby AU" if we're having a National Club Comp? Pick one and concentrate on that being the Australian Premier Competition, not a watered down Super Rugby or an expanded Syd/Bris premiership; something well-promoted with money being no object to retain/bring the best players into the league, get some billionaires in if necessary and then, down the road, become membership owned clubs like the AFL teams.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Granted there is a lot of water to go under the bridge until Rugby season kicks off in 2021, but unless NSW and Victoria eliminate community transmission of Covid-19 any discussion about a Trans Tasman comp is going to be nothing but a discussion.
    You seem on the money there, unfortunately. Pretty shocked to see that, after 100 days clear of this bastard virus NZ has 4 cases. Unknown source, Auckland back in lockdown and restrictions in rest of NZ.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You seem on the money there, unfortunately. Pretty shocked to see that, after 100 days clear of this bastard virus NZ has 4 cases. Unknown source, Auckland back in lockdown and restrictions in rest of NZ.
    Close contacts are reportedly showing symptoms. Hopefully it hasn't been spread too far and a short, sharp lock down can see them get on top of it again.

I'll be really interested to see where it actually came from and there may be lessons for us hiding behind Emperor McGowan's Iron Curtain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Close contacts are reportedly showing symptoms. Hopefully it hasn't been spread too far and a short, sharp lock down can see them get on top of it again.

I'll be really interested to see where it actually came from and there may be lessons for us hiding behind Emperor McGowan's Iron Curtain.
    I was thinking about that this morning,

Nobody on the planet has locked down harder then New Zealand, and all they've done is delay the entry. Perhaps lockdown should be focused more on managing the outbreaks so that infected persons can access the help they need than the fools gold of attempting to eliminate the virus in any jurisdiction.

If NZ or WA completely eliminate the virus, that will only last until somebody brings it in. That means that an eradication strategy is only delaying the impact not reducing it.

Of course a good politician will delay it until the election and if they lose the election blame the other guys for the inevitable spike that will come.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If NZ or WA completely eliminate the virus, that will only last until somebody brings it in. That means that an eradication strategy is only delaying the impact not reducing it.
    I've also been wondering how this can happen after 100 days. Given NZ's early hard lockdown and border closure. Combined with testing before release from hotel quarantine, it's difficult to see any cause other than transmission from an infected person in quarantine to persons working in that area. Or a false negative test opposite to the case of Essendons Connor McKenna who tested "irregular" then positive, then twice negative. This thing is still very much a mystery.

I don't know what "bubble" protocols the UK Superleague imposed before their resumption 2 weeks ago, but 6 Hull FC players have just tested positive. Five of them played against Salford on the weekend, so their season is probably toast already.

This thing likely isn't anywhere near over

Last edited by shasta; 12-08-20 at 10:07.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I was reading last night that the NZ Cricket team will host Australia, West Indies, Pakistan and Bangladesh under the same Bio-Security procedures that England are using at the moment to host the West Indies and Pakistan.

Obviously developments in Auckland may change that.

The one constant is the situation is ever changing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2