Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ROUND 6 FMG PREMIER GRADE RESULTS

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Some of those suggestions aren't geographically do-able imo. Curtin and Paly is the go, surely? Cavs and Wanneroo would never work. They'd have to find a midway point to meet. Tompkins Park seems logical.

Actually, an 8 club competition would be an excellent idea . Three rounds of seven games followed by a proper final series.

Palmyra I'm sure would be happy to absorb Wanneroo and Cavaliers under our banner. Geographic problem overcome. That would reduce the clubs to 12.

Curtin could join the menage a troi to further reduce the numbers to 9, Joondaberg could join Perth, and problem solved.

Good thinking, Ecky, one of your better ideas.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    This weekend we see:
    Baysie v Neddies
    Roodogs v Lions
    Kala v Curtin
    ARKs v Wests
    Cott v Cavs
    Paly v Uni
    Soaks v Bruvvers
    It's been a while - I might swing by Morley Satday arvo...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    There appears only the one thing repeating himself here ...

Brothers is a completely different scenario to Rocky & Cavaliers, so I have no idea why you make comparison.
    Perhaps you were involved in the decision to admit Kwinana into senior grades - that was a great one !

Listening to "naysayers" & allowing Promotion/ Relegation years ago would have made a huge difference, but no it was left as thought best by those who believe the echo chambers. Let me think, promotion relegation - where is else in the world does that happen ?!
    Believe me Promotion / Relegation was thoroughly canvassed. The feedback at the time ( may be different now) was that if a Club's first grade came last in the Premier grade comp but the same club's third grade and Colts contested finals - do you relegate the whole club? if so, how do the players in 3rd and Colts feel? This was one sticking point.

I think it's unfair to new clubs to think they were rewarded with Premiergrade status on a wink and nod. Yes Brothers had to jump through a bunch of hoops, but I think with the benefit of hindsight, it was a bit over the top.

I think it took Neddies some 20 years after playing premiergrade to win their first flag. Let's be patient, encourage aspirants, even help in avoiding pitfalls. It's a tough gig to grow a competition and there is no silver bullet.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm a bit annoyed I didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    It's been a while - I might swing by Morley Satday arvo...

Ninth placed Perth Bayswater have caused maybe the upset of the season beating fourth placed Nedlands 18-17 in a victory the ‘Numbats’ haven’t seen in 13 years.

By doing so Brendan Loag’s side have now proved they still have a chance to make a late season push for finals while Nedlands could have a challenging backend of the season still yet to face the competitions top sides.

The one-point victory came on a special afternoon for inside centre Kolia Konelio who ran out for his 50th premier grade game with Perth Bayswater who then went on to effect the game heavily with a late try.

The 'Numbats' got on the front foot only minutes into the fray, catching Nedlands off guard from the opening kick-off with a crafty try from outside centre Pousea Elisara.

Early field position came easy to ‘Baysie’ winning the ball off a superior scrum, thanks to the efforts of tighthead prop and RugbyWA Senior Academy athlete Dante Tatafu.

Discipline issues kept the ball in Perth Bayswater hands throughout first half despite some impressive runs from Nedlands fullback Kauri Cudd keeping Sam Rarasea’s men in the game.

The experience brought by Nedlands proved vital in getting the men in blue back out in front, through the likes of Ammon Matuauto who was able to turn over the ball and find lock Michael Egan in space to dot the ball under the post returning the lead to the match favourites.

With their tails up Nedlands took control of the backend of the first half.

Right winger Benjamin Sundborn-Carr delivered his side a cushioning lead with a try scored off the back of an exceptional 50 metre line break he made the phase earlier.

Despite a yellow card shown to lock Samuel Offer, Nedlands momentum didn’t slow carrying the team into halftime with a 5-14 lead.

The second half saw ‘Neddies’ come out strong injecting another level of intensity into their attack, bringing on backup half-back Nate Roberts.

Another penalty put the visitors further in front however discipline issues started to creep back into the game, gifting Perth Bayswater eight Faamanu Kalolo a try from the back of a scrum only five metres from the line.

The turning point would come in the game through a line-out infringement that resulted in Nedlands losing lock Samuel Offer for the rest of the match with his second yellow card.

It took a while for Perth Bayswater to take advantage of a 14-man Nedlands side with the visitors showing exceptional defence throughout.

Penalties continued to give the home team encouraging field position and the Nedlands defence would finally crack open from a quick tap penalty followed by a cut-out pass putting 150th capped Kolia Konelio in the left-hand corner.

An unsuccessful conversion meant Perth Bayswater still had worked to do, trailing by two points.

What followed was a physical tussle between both sides that eventually saw the home-team march back into their own half putting them in range of the goal posts.

A missed penalty by Jordan Luke kept Nedlands in the lead until the dying minutes of the match with the visitors managing to hold off an unrelenting Perth Bayswater attack.

However, I high tackle inside the 22-metre line would give ‘Baysie’ another opportunity to steal the game and young scrum-half Liam Wynne did not shy away from the opportunity nailing the kick that would put his team one point ahead in what would be the last play of the game.

In what is arguably the most intense matchup thus far in the Fortescue Premier Grade Perth Bayswater forced their third victory of season and in doing so breaking a 13-year drought against Nedlands Rugby Club.

RESULT

Perth Bayswater 18
    Tries: Elisara, Kalolo, Konelio
    Pens: Wynne

Nedlands 17
    Tries: Egan, Benjamin Sundborn-Carr
    Cons: Botes 2
    Pens: Botes

https://wa.rugby/news/2020/08/17/per...3-year-drought

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash

FMG Premier Grade Round 7 Results

The full result info:
    Baysie 18 - 17 Neddies, as we know
    Roodogs 50 - 17 SLions
    Kala 56 - 20 Curtin
    ARKs 5 - 19 Wests
    Cott 56 - 0 Cavs
    Paly 38 - 17 U-Dub
    Soaks 38 - 13 Bruvvers - no surprise after Joondy's performance in Round 6

Veteran
    vCash
    it's good to be back on these forums!

how good is it to have club footy!?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Well, I think the top four this year may not include Neddies for the first time in over 3o plus years. Good for Club Rugby in Perth. Well done Numbats. Baysie is one amazing club and personally I am happy to see the 13 year drought broken for them.

vCash

Round 8 Fixture

Wanneroo v Baysie
    Cavs v Wests
    Kala v ARKs
    Cott v SLions
    UWA v Soaks
    Neddies v Curtin
    Bruvvers v Paly

vCash
    Winners will be Wanneroo, Wests, Kala, Cott, Soaks, Neddies and Joondaberg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Winners will be Wanneroo, Wests, Kala, Cott, Soaks, Neddies and Joondaberg.
    Which of them do you want me to fix?

Also, why do you feel Paly isn't up for the challenge?

vCash
    Also, why do you feel Paly isn't up for the challenge?
    I think it may be that one of his pet red herrings had gone rogue.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Too many injuries.

I have to run on for premier grade and lie about my age again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Too many injuries. I have to run on for premier grade and lie about my age again.
    If you're good enough you're old enough fulv

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If you're good enough you're old enough fulv
    First attempt of a gallop and my knees would fall off...

vCash
    Well, all my predictions were spot on, except for the Pally/Joondaberg game which Pally won 22 to 27.

Putting all false modesty aside, I played a blinder in my first game back from retirement, and was instrumental in the result.

Chopper, may I recommend Nurofen gel for your knees.

Even if it doesn't materially improve them, it works a treat if you rub it in your opposite number's eyes, and is completely undetectable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast